Just bought my Nexus One, so many simple questions!!

Last Updated:

1. karbosshack

karbosshack Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

Sorry to spam the board with my first post but I am a monthlong lurker here who just received his nexus and is entirely lost. I had a few basic questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with:

1. Is there a way to make it so that instead of a normal notification ring, I get an actual window to pop up when I get a text?

2. Right now I'm only getting EDGE, no 3g. I switched the setting that says "only connect to 2g networks" and am still getting no luck...what's up with that?

3. How do I get swype set up?

4. Any suggestions on what to do next....any "gotta have it" customizations?

Thanks in advance guys!

Advertisement
  2. Ryjabo

Ryjabo Well-Known Member

Grats on getting a sexy phone!

Check the market for SMS Popup, chompSMS, or Handcent. I think they all do it.

Where do you live? Go to T-Mobile and ask them what's going on. Make sure "only 2g" is turned off, then go to:

Settings | Wireless & Networks | Mobile Networks -- click on "Network Operators" -- let it do it's thing and choose "Select automatically".

You'll have to find it online somewhere, put the .apk for it on your SD card, then browse to it with a File Manager to install it.

Launcher Pro.

3. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

+1 Launcher Pro.

Also get:
    - TeslaLED
    - TouchDown (if you have an Exchange email)
    - Torrent-FU(if you run uTorrent at home)
    - Skies of Glory

4. skytechnetwork.com

skytechnetwork.com Active Member

Launcher Pro is also good apps I suggest you should to install. :D

5. karbosshack

Thanks guys! No luck on the 3G business, I'll call Tmobile tomorrow. What's so great about LauncherPro?

6. Espike

Espike Well-Known Member

LauncherPro is a replacement home app. It lets you add or remove homescreens (1-7). It lets you use 3 5 slot docks... basically try it for a few days and if you like it, buy it to support the dev. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain.

7. talksinmaths

talksinmaths Active Member

8. Ryjabo

Ryjabo Well-Known Member

If you have the right phone (for T-Mobile) then it is most likely just the area you're in.

Unlike respectable providers, T-Mobile doesn't guarantee 3G coverage.

One of the many reasons I'll be switching to Sprint in a few months. They're the best where I live (Utah, USA). Verizon probably edges them out here, but I hate their phones.

9. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

My thoughts..

1. If you want no extra customisations other than a popup and / or individual notification tones by contact - SMSPopup, otherwise ChompSMS and Handcent offer a lot more. I'm an SMSPopup person myself.

2. US / UK? New contract + SIM or longstanding customer? Previous 3G ok with this network?

3. Sign up for the beta (even if closed as they seem to keep adding people).

4. For me the real power of the N1 is:
    a. Convergence of information - pull information from multiple accounts with different services (Gmail, Twitter, Facebook, ISP mail, Exchange) to a central store. Tie up your information across multiple devices - I see my work calendar across all my devices (using 3rd party syncing utilities to push and pull information to google), my girlfriend and I can view each others calendars (using Google's calendar sharing).
    b. Location, location, location. Leverage your location to automate your life with Tasker, Locale, Setting Profiles, or others (I use Setting Profiles myself). My N1 knows where I am and knows what I expect from it - lower volumes at work, silent at night, automatic texts to my girlfriend so she knows when I'm on my way home, silence your phone in the cinema / in a meeting automatically, etc.
    c. A single device. Slap a large microsd card in and take your music where ever you go. Navigation (I use Google Nav and CoPilot) - no need for a separate satnav unit. Speed camera detection (Trapster / other apps)..

10. karbosshack

Wow, thanks everybody for the responses. Automatic txts to your gf? Talk about genius!!!!! Haha.

Admittedly, I never realized my phone was the ATT one which means I won't be getting 3G....My cousin gave me the phone and said if I got the screen repaired I could have it....I assumed that he knew I had T-Mobile and wouldn't have offered it to me had it been AT&T. Oh well, I can suffer with EDGE until a better phone comes out for the network and I'll trade with somebody then I guess.

11. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

You should look into trading/selling it and getting the T-Mobile one. 3G is so much faster, it's a must for a smartphone otherwise you're losing so much potential with it. For me, not getting enough 3G coverage is a reason to switch phones and carriers; it's that important.

12. eric1589

eric1589 Active Member

id look into getting att service or somehow trying to swap your phone and get a tmobile one.

edge is like a dial up connection
    3g is like a broadband connection

i dont even bother looking at stuff when i have an edge connection because its so slow.

13. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

EDGE isn't the same everywhere either. My carrier is known for it's strong EDGE network (but has been very slow to migrate to 3G because of that). But streaming a LQ youtube video on EDGE sometimes works without any stuttering.. So for basic browsing, newsfeeds and images it's surely adequate.

14. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Well-Known Member

I'd definitely trade it for the TMO version.

How did you get it repaired?