• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just curious, which hand do you hold your smartphone in?

michaelqian88

Apr 23, 2015
I'm naturally right handed, and I have been using the Note series phone for the last year. Currently I'm on a Note 4, possibly upgrading to a Note 5 soon.

Now I just realised that most right-handed people hold actually use the phone in their right hand.

However I've never used my phone in my right hand even though I'm right handed. I use the phone with my left hand, and manage to use it single-handed 99% of the time despite a big screen.

So just curious, which hand do you hold the phone in?

Like you, I'm right handed but use my phone with my left hand. I hold it and 'drive' it with my left hand, only really using my right to text/email/dial. Screen flipping and maneuvering is one-handed handled with the left hand. I mostly use speaker but if I hold the phone to my ear on a call it's the left too.

I have a Moto X 2nd gen but thought it was an interesting question so answered anyway :p

Upvote 0
When talking and/or typing on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and my HTC One M8 I hold them in my left hand. I'm right handed as well. Interestingly when talking on a my home landline phone I use my right hand. At work I use my left hand. I think it has something to do with the assumption that with a smartphone or business phone you expect to be doing something else with your dominant hand.

I wonder if it's the opposite for left handed people? Very interesting topic michaelqian88.

Upvote 0
I'm another one who doesn't use their phone in their dominant hand. I'm left-handed (though probably "left-biassed ambilateral" would be a better description), and use my phone primarily in my right hand (in a long conversation I'll probably start swapping sides after a while). I generally drive the phone one-handed.

If asked why I'd say it's to keep my dominant hand free for other tasks, which was certainly true with dumbphones. It may also be because I was used to holding PDAs in my right hand (since I operated the stylus with my left).

I also wear my watch on my left wrist, hold knife in right hand and fork in left, but use a spoon or chopsticks in my left. I use a hammer, saw or screwdriver in whichever hand is better placed for the job (also tend to swap hands when I get bored).

Upvote 0
I'm right-handed, and typically use my phone with my right hand only. The only exceptions are when I need my right hand free for some task. Or when I hold the phone with both hands in landscape mode for media purposes.
I thought ghosts didn't have hands
schrik.gif

Upvote 0
I'm right handed and hold my phone in my right hand. I find it is easier to use my dominant hand/thumb to access the various apps and functions of the phone one-handed. When typing, I hold it with both hands and I normally type in landscape. For those times that I do not have the luxury of holding it with both hands to type, I hold it with my right and use the gesture typing feature of Swype.

For my office phone, I hold the handset with my left hand so I can dial with my right hand.

Upvote 0
Right handed, but I use both hands just about equally. I guess it depends on what I'm doing. Current phone is the HTC Desire 816 (moving to the Idol 3). General browsing, reading ebooks, checking emails I use both hands equally. For extended sessions I find myself switching hands. Composing emails and texts I usually hold it in my left hand and use my right to Swype. I just never got the hang of Swyping with my thumb.

Upvote 0
I'm right-handed, and have always used a phone in my left hand, for several reasons:
  • if I have to write something down, I'd write with my dominant, right hand
  • if I'm driving, I'd hold the phone and the steering wheel in the left hand, and shift gears with the right hand
  • if I am interacting with the phone with two hands, I'm more likely to want to point (or tap, as in back when I had a Palm Pilot with a stylus for input) with my dominant hand

Upvote 0
FTFY before it was too late. :thumbsupdroid:

LOL. But seriously, if I've got my navigator app running and I want to keep the view of the map in my line of sight so I can see when the next turn is coming up, it makes sense to have the phone in my hand while my hand is also on the wheel. Can't understand why cars still come with ashtrays but don't have multiple spaces to hold a phone where the screen is in plain view. It's 2018, not 1956.

Upvote 0
My last two cars did not come with ashtrays, nor lighters. They did have "accessory" ports which was simply the lighter socket without the lighter.

But seriously, if I've got my navigator app running...

Then it should be in a cradle or dock attached to your dash or windshield. Having anything in your hand while driving is not safe. Just because you haven't run over a box of kittens or smashed into a busload of nuns yet doesn't mean it's never going to happen. (I'll get down of my soapbox now)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones