• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just dropped my phone and cracked my screen.

Because of this thread and many others I have seen I returned my Note 2. With the size of the phone I know i would drop it at some point and there seem to be very few cases (other than monsters like the Otterbox, which would just make this phone too big for me) that will actually protect the phone when it comes to drops. I was going to buy the Samsung case along with the Extra battery + dock but I read that someone had that case on it and still cracked the screen from a 1 1/2 foot drop.

I can still go and re-buy the phone again if I feel I miss it too much but considering I upgraded a different line to the iPhone 5 just about a month ago and spent the $100 on Apple Care+ for it, I would have had an iPhone 5 that is fully covered against drops and everything just sitting in a drawer doing nothing. If I kept the note that would have been another upgrade used about a month apart from the iPhone upgrade, $300 more cash spent and another $10 a month for the Best Buy insurance. I also would have spent about another $100 on accessories for the Note 2 had i kept it. That's another $640 and an upgrade spent just to have the Note 2.

With all that being said though, I absolutely loved the Note 2 and I think in most cases it is FAR better than the iPhone 5. I enjoyed the phone and I just wish it was a little more durable than it is. If I had not already got the iPhone 5 and Apple Care+ I would still own the Note 2 and just paid the $170 or so that best buy charges for their insurance if you buy the full 2 years up front.

Upvote 0
Because of this thread and many others I have seen I returned my Note 2. With the size of the phone I know i would drop it at some point and there seem to be very few cases (other than monsters like the Otterbox, which would just make this phone too big for me) that will actually protect the phone when it comes to drops. I was going to buy the Samsung case along with the Extra battery + dock but I read that someone had that case on it and still cracked the screen from a 1 1/2 foot drop.

I can still go and re-buy the phone again if I feel I miss it too much but considering I upgraded a different line to the iPhone 5 just about a month ago and spent the $100 on Apple Care+ for it, I would have had an iPhone 5 that is fully covered against drops and everything just sitting in a drawer doing nothing. If I kept the note that would have been another upgrade used about a month apart from the iPhone upgrade, $300 more cash spent and another $10 a month for the Best Buy insurance. I also would have spent about another $100 on accessories for the Note 2 had i kept it. That's another $640 and an upgrade spent just to have the Note 2.

With all that being said though, I absolutely loved the Note 2 and I think in most cases it is FAR better than the iPhone 5. I enjoyed the phone and I just wish it was a little more durable than it is. If I had not already got the iPhone 5 and Apple Care+ I would still own the Note 2 and just paid the $170 or so that best buy charges for their insurance if you buy the full 2 years up front.

I'm saddened! :(

Upvote 0
You know before I bought the phone, I had been watching different drop tests on youtube on the International Note II version. The screen seems to hold up pretty well in all the tests. You know how the US carriers were customizing the Note II and saving money by not including the earphones... I wonder would they took out the Gorilla Glass 2 option and gone for cheaper glass?? Anything is possible right?

Upvote 0
You know before I bought the phone, I had been watching different drop tests on youtube on the International Note II version. The screen seems to hold up pretty well in all the tests. You know how the US carriers were customizing the Note II and saving money by not including the earphones... I wonder would they took out the Gorilla Glass 2 option and gone for cheaper glass?? Anything is possible right?

Not all US carriers skimped their customers.
Left came with Sprint Note 2. Right came with Sprint E4GT.

2012-12-11150234.png

Upvote 0
From what I've read on macrumors the i5 glass isn't as durable as the Note 2. Too many complaints there and AC+ does cover almost everything except theft and loss but some genius bar employees give you a song and a dance before giving you a replacement others are lenient. There's also the 'scuff gate' thing going on w the i5 it's crazy. Only reason I'm not upgrading to the i5 is that there's no flavor in iOS anymore and I switched to Apple for storage space, smoothness of ios, integration, and better apps. Now android has made a complete overhaul I'm sold on the Note. I can handle the size, glass sensitivity as long as my insurance is good I can always replace it. I'm excited I can customize again, changing my wallpaper every other day and rearranging my apps on my iPhone is not customization. Not even close. I hope you enjoy the i5

Upvote 0
Thanks chasers,
Now I'm wondering what to return. Instructions say device. Does that include the battery, headphones, and charger? Or just the phone itself?

Here's a couple of pictures on my second unboxing.

If I'm only required to return just the phone, I'll have the batteries! :D
ry7e9ura.jpg

Yes this one also comes with headphones, I'll probably use my Bluetooth device over this one.
8asy3u3u.jpg

Sent using the SGN2

Upvote 0
Thanks chasers,
Now I'm wondering what to return. Instructions say device. Does that include the battery, headphones, and charger? Or just the phone itself?

Here's a couple of pictures on my second unboxing.

If I'm only required to return just the phone, I'll have the batteries! :D
ry7e9ura.jpg

Yes this one also comes with headphones, I'll probably use my Bluetooth device over this one.
8asy3u3u.jpg

Sent using the SGN2

Just the phone. I've done a couple of returns and all they wanted was the phone. I kept everything else and was not billed.

Upvote 0
Just the phone. I've done a couple of returns and all they wanted was the phone. I kept everything else and was not billed.

That's great! Now I have 3 batteries.

Oh yeah, I was so concentrated on the replacement, that I haven't noticed my 5th case came in the mail with my replacement phone. :D

dehe3yny.jpg

P.S. ugh! Waiting for my gallery to download all my Facebook is passing me off! I can't even hit the menu while it loads. :banghead:
Sent using the SGN2

Upvote 0
Another unboxing....this time leave the PHONE IN THE CASE!!!!!!!

If your case is as tight as mine, you don't even have to put the battery cover back on.
There's a Rearth case review here on AF and instead of putting the battery door on, they snatched it off.
The case is just that tight and not having the door on makes swapping batteries THAT much faster.
I haven't seen my battery door since I saw that review.

If your case doesn't fit snug, then use the door so the battery does't come loose.

Upvote 0
Another unboxing....this time leave the PHONE IN THE CASE!!!!!!!

If your case is as tight as mine, you don't even have to put the battery cover back on.
There's a Rearth case review here on AF and instead of putting the battery door on, they snatched it off.
The case is just that tight and not having the door on makes swapping batteries THAT much faster.
I haven't seen my battery door since I saw that review.

If your case doesn't fit snug, then use the door so the battery does't come loose.

I'm assuming the case door has the NFC chip built in, right?

Upvote 0
Posting with my new phone. One thing I notice is that I'm not roaming anymore. I remember my old N2 wasn't roaming for the first 2 weeks then all of a sudden I couldn't get a signal or roaming. I'll update if this happens again after 2 weeks or if I stay roaming earlier.

Anyway I have to go. I'm very late for work... lol

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
I'm assuming the case door has the NFC chip built in, right?

Yes it does. I'm not using NFC right now but when I get around to it I'll put the battery door back on.
No one around me has a phone I can bump to share stuff. :p

Did anyone notice how close to the edge of the laptop Cal's ^^ phones are sitting......?
I'm not gonna say it......I'm not gonna say it.

Upvote 0
Posting with my new phone. One thing I notice is that I'm not roaming anymore. I remember my old N2 wasn't roaming for the first 2 weeks then all of a sudden I couldn't get a signal or roaming. I'll update if this happens again after 2 weeks or if I stay roaming earlier.

Now you take care of your " precious";)

Upvote 0

Keep us posted with that...i'll keep an eye on it also when mine come today. I'm beyond excited!

Yes it does. I'm not using NFC right now but when I get around to it I'll put the battery door back on.
No one around me has a phone I can bump to share stuff. :p

Did anyone notice how close to the edge of the laptop Cal's ^^ phones are sitting......?
I'm not gonna say it......I'm not gonna say it.

Alright now gotta find another to bump with. There's 6 S3's in my immediate family so soon as my phone come today i'm getting my bump on :D.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones