• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just fnished rooting. Next question

WOW....I removed about 20 or so things from my Hero and after a reboot I see a MAJOR difference in it. Everything is snappier and loads faster. I am very impressed! I just removed the Peep app and am currently rebooting so I will see by the time I finish this post if I get any errors. So far it is booting faster...took 10 seconds for the Android logo with the robot to pop up. I am now at the slide lock screen after 18 seconds and I have this strange screen lock wall paper up. I have never seen it before. My phone went to sleep and upon waking it up it now shows the correct wall paper for the screen lock. Tested everything out... (think I launched and closed every program out).

Right now I am sitting, without killing any apps, around 129 MB of free space... (I know this is not accurate) for what it is worth I would have to say I am VERY happy with the outcome.

Upvote 0
Just as an FYI, this question is answered in the FAQ section of the tutorial:

ccapasso said:
18.How do I remove Sprint "Bloatware"?
a. Many custom ROMs already have several Sprint Apps removed. Some of those you may want back. If you have Fresh 1.1 installed, you can use pre-kitchen to add/remove Sprint apps (yes you can do this even if you manually rooted you phone). If don't have Fresh 1.1 or prefer to do it manually, you can find instructions here and a list of apps that are safe to remove here.

Upvote 0
ok, so.. i got to the point where i verified that the adb works, and gives me a serial number..

now on some of the sites, its telling me to wipe my sd card.. i have copied all the files from my sd card.. will i be able to put them back? or will the recovery image take up all the space?? will that recovery image stay on the sdcard?

If i havent decided what custom rom to run, can i still use my phone?

Upvote 0
You are coming from stock correct? I do not believe any of the site tell you to wipe your SD Card. I know some say to wipe data/davlik, and I've seen one say to wipe Ext 4. Wiping data doesn't erase your SD card.

If you read the FAQ section, you should have noticed that it is mentioned that after your root and flash the recovery img you do not have to keep those files on your sd card. This is AFTER they are flashed. Same goes for the ROM img file.

If you root and all works, you do not HAVE to install a custom ROM. Your phone will still function just fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones