just got a message...

1. goodm0urning

goodm0urning Well-Known Member

from ATT saying: AT&T FREE MSG: AT&T is providing a free update for your phone. When asked to install the update, please select OK. Thank You.

i received this same message twice tonight, once, and then again after i didn't respond. froyo? maybe? :)

i checked for updates and it didn't say there was none, it said that i needed to check again in 24 hours...so i dunnnnnnoooo...

here's to hoping?...and here's to optimism? (which i realize is a hard thing to keep in a Samsung Captivate forum sometimes, but i'm trying!)

Advertisement
  2. Buddha64

Buddha64 Well-Known Member

Really? :eek:
    Wow! :p

Um... :rolleyes:
  3. Goodeye

Goodeye Active Member

Are you rooted?
  4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

"Really? :eek: Wow! :p Um... :rolleyes:"

I sense a sig line coming on.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  5. Frisco

At a bit after 6 am OP said they told him to wait 24 hours.
  6. I just tried an update manually and it said connecting to server for 10 min then all of a sudden I got the same wait 24 hours. weird usually its so quick
  7. Frisco

That's a sign they are trying to head off an overloaded server.
  8. so are we thinking froyo?
  9. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member

This sounds like JH7 all over again... oh wait, it is.
  10. iffrett

iffrett Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be so enthusiastic to download it yet. Remember the recall for froyo recently? I'd be hesitant to quickly switch over when the update is available. I'd give it a good couple of months to get reviews and see what kind of bugs I'll be getting myself into before I make the final decision.
  11. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

Waiting on the answer to this.
  12. neo1973

neo1973 Well-Known Member

Just for fun, went into settings and did a manual update...

"Software update. Communication in progress." and it spins for about 3 minutes now.

The notification bar states "connecting to DM server..."

UPDATE---

"Unable to connect to ATT server"

*sigh*
  13. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Don't want to wait for 24 hours to be disappointed? You can be disappointed as many times as you wish within a 24 hour period. See one of my contributions to CapFAQ:

Software Updates - CapFAQ

Requires a rooted device.
  14. goodm0urning

nope, stock captivate!
  15. goodm0urning

i'm still optimistic!
  16. btswein

btswein Well-Known Member

Did the same thing to me after restarting and clearing the cache twice yesterday. Just did it again, took like less then a minute, 'No updates.'
  17. drapacioli

drapacioli Well-Known Member

I'm certainly hoping. But I've got a google alert set up for "Froyo Captivate" and I haven't gotten anything except the news article about the Epic 4G getting froyo before us :)mad:). Maybe it was a glitch (Someone please prove me wrong!)
  18. cmt074

cmt074 Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see if anyone else in these forums has gotten a text message from AT & T. I bet it's just an anomaly but you never know...
  19. goodm0urning

if i knew how to take a picture of my screen with my phone, i would absolutely post one, but unfortunately, i have no idea how to do that...
  20. Buddha64

Folks have been getting the very message from AT&T for the past two (or more) months. Every time someone gets this message, they jump on it and post about it, asking if it is Froyo, and how they hope it is Froyo, and others say how they hope it is too...

And it isn't... it never is. As many have stated... if/when Froyo is available for the Captivate, it won't be announced by some Tom, Dick or Harry on a message board through a text from AT&T.
  21. Buddha64

We've all seen the text before.

Instead, why don't you let everyone know what your current version of OS is running on your phone...
  22. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

The Captivate FAQ is your friend:

Taking screenshots - CapFAQ
    hd779 likes this.
  23. Gamble1177

Gamble1177 Active Member

Ive never received a text from att. Even for the last official update. I would expect that when its ready it will roll out some people get texts and I check here just like I did last time.
  24. JayFReaZy

JayFReaZy Active Member

Well, engadget reports that the samsung EPIC is expected to get froyo on the 26th, so hopefully this is the update we've all been waiting for.