Just got a new MyTouch 3G (questions)

Last Updated:

1. iodeac

iodeac Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone:

Love my MyTouch so far...a few questions if you don't mind.

Is there any reason to use WiFi, since I have an unlimited data plan?
    Do all websites allow you to turn the phone 90 degrees to view in landscape format?
    Is there any way to capture screen images from Youtube videos for use as wallpaper, etc
    I have Yahoo mail. Is there any way to set it up so that I get notified whenever I receive a new email?
    What are some of the best apps out there?
    Is there a way to cause podcasts to immediately download to the phone, other than visiting the website on a regular basis?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

1) Wifi is just faster
    2) Yes
    3) Not sure about that one
    4) There are some tutorials if you search
    5) That's a matter of opinion
    6) Google Listen

3. iodeac

iodeac Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks! With the facebook app, it only seems to allow quick access to my news feed...Would I have to use the actual browser to go to the facebook site, view friends' pages, etc?

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

Welcome to Android Forums. :). With the Data Plan, you would be running off of what TMobile provides you, and WiFi, you will be running off of your own services. For instance, in the town I live in, I don't have a 3G network, so if I want fast speeds on my internet through my phone, I would be required to use my WiFi. All websites will allow you to use the wide landscape mode. With the current default applications that come on the MyTouch and Android OS, there is no such program or feature that can take snapshots of youtube videos. However, I'm sure there might be something you can find in the evergrowing Android Market. Yes, you can get notified whenever you recieve a Yahoo email. I can tell you some Apps that I personally use alot, but it all depends of preference really. And yes, that is possible aswell.

The facebook app is useful for quick information, like posting comments and reading profile information, but for everything else it will forward you to your browser,

5. jasnmb

jasnmb Well-Known Member

I just bought the myTouch today and it's still on Android 1.5. Is there a way to force the update to 1.6, or do I just have to wait a day or two for it to automatically download?

I tried telling it to check for updates in a settings menu, but it said everything was up-to-date.

EDIT:
    When I turned it on the next morning it prompted me to download and install 1.6. :D

6. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member

had mine about a week before it automatically updated - but mine was bought off e*** used, and it took my t-mobile acct about 4-5 days before the picture identifying my acct showed a MyTouch image - it showed the Samsung i had from before up till then