Just got Evo today and a few questions

Last Updated:

1. luigic81

luigic81 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Came off of BB curve so I feel like I'm in a worldwind ahah

1. what apps should i get right away? (I've already downloaded weather channel and launcher pro, and retro clock)
    2. Whats the best way to setup launcher pro, as far as home screen, wallpaper etc..? (keep in mind this is my first touch screen phone)
    3. Does everything automatically get saved to my SD card, or to my CPU?
    4. MY phone came with 2.2, should I download a "task killer" or not?
    5. What should I do to the phone to maximize battery life? I already turned off the vibrating when you touch something, and hanged the animation to "some"
    6. Best free clock? Best free games?

any other input would be appreciated. I use my calendar alot for work and any shortcuts regarding using the google calendar would be helpful too, or alternate views of the calendar etc... Thanks!!!

Advertisement
    mti22 likes this.
  2. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member

First off... I'm not really sure why this is in the "All things Root" section of the forum. Second off... you'll probably need to read around on the forum to get very detailed answers on all of these questions. They have all been discussed many times. Notwithstanding, welcome to the Evo and I will take a couple minutes to throw some answers out there.

1. I recommend AppBrain. From there you can see the most downloaded apps for today, this week, and all time. That can give you some more guidance in what apps to get from there.
    Also, here is a link that has a lot of other people's oppinion on the subject:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/105074-must-have-android-apps.html

2. I recommend going here:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/91853-lets-us-peek-your-screens.html
    Here you can see how many other people have set up their phones. Not all use launcher pro but you'll get the idea.

3. I'm not very knowledgeable about this question... I know you can save some apps to your SD card. I generally do this by using SDMove or a similar app. Other than apps though, I think generally things are all saved there (pictures, etc.) Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4. No.

5. There is some good info here:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/85497-tip-trick-61-hours-24-battery-remaining.html

6. Depends what you mean by "Best." For clocks I prefer Tajm and D-Clock, but very much a personal preference. Just start checking them out. The link on my #2 answer will show you a good variety as well.
    Best free games? I think there are some threads about this already... let me find one real quick:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/100774-any-good-games-evo.html
    This thread is a bit older but seems good.

I use agenda widget as my on screen calendar. Only other recommendation is I prefer my phone rooted. That's a whole other subject though...

Final advice: Enjoy your Evo.

M5Rahul, mti22 and luigic81 like this.
  3. luigic81

awseome thanks, sorry for posting in the wrong section, I thought this was just the "Evo" section. My bad, thanks for your detailed answers and links, I will check them out now

TF1984 likes this.
  4. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

I am giving you "Thanks" just because your new but still figured out how to thank someone who helped you. Can't tell you how many noobs post questions, then someone invests 30 min.s to answer and they just go on about their day.

So..... THANKS~

5. luigic81

hahha no worries

6. honeyBfly

honeyBfly Member

LOL...I love the enthusiasm!! Congrats on the switch to the EVO...you will love it!!

I use Smooth Calendar alongside with my EVO calendar and I love it.

Launcher Pro has a website: LauncherPro great forum in there for tweaks.

I prefer not to use task killer, some people swears by it but its totally up to the user. I didn't find it helpful.

***IMPORTANT question....Are you going to root your phone? this will enable you to flash (install) different ROMS from developers and will also give you free wireless hotspot using your phone's signal (Sprint charges $29.99 per month for this)

7. luigic81

didnt plan on rooting right now, figured i'd wait and see if I would actually need to. Not too sure of the advantages yet.