Just Got Extra 2GB Data A Month From 3 For Free

Last Updated:

1. nicenswift

nicenswift Active Member This Topic's Starter

When I bought my desire from 3 (4 weeks ago) my major concern was that it only came with 500mb data,

I mentioned this to the sales man on the phone and he said the 500mb is more than enough and nobody goes over this, I eventually took his word for it and did the deal.

But last week I noticed that the Iphone4 from three comes with 1gb data.

So I rang back 3 and said that if 500mb is enough for anyone and no one ever came close why did the Iphone4 need 1gb.

The girl on the phone was a little bit stumped and did not take much pushing for her to offer to put the

Advertisement
  2. chrisg

chrisg Member

Did exactly the same thing but when I took the contract out! I think you will only get the 2GB though, but for free who are we to complain!! Should be interesting to see how much we actually use!

3. LostAlon

LostAlon Member

As I recall (although i can't directly back up) the iPhone browser is 'fattest' around in terms of data use, which would explain why they have a higher data cap in practical terms. 500mb is definitely a bit anemic IMHO, but its very user dependent. If you have WiFi at home and at work, then it'll do you fine. If you don't have an alternative data route at either end and want apps/streaming anything/podcasts/whatever, then you could easilly go over 500mb in a month. Maybe not every month, but some times, and I've heard that 3 are kinda strict about their data use.

Vodafone give a blanket 1gig IIRC, which is solidly usable, and will give you a notification before they start billing you. Also their terms lets you tether, and although you CAN do it on other networks, you aren't supposed to. (I shopped around a lot and my network choice was based entirely off tethering and data cap :p)

Anyways, good for you. Always worth screwing whatever you can out of your network, and Three in particular. When my contract is up I might actually see what I can get... Maybe the 3 gig package with tethering :).

4. bigr1979

bigr1979 Well-Known Member

I was on the 500mb limit with three as well. I was told that my allowance was going to go up to 1gb but when my usage cycle refreshed today it only showed 500mb data limit again. I called up three to ask them about this and when the 1gb amount would be activated.
    I was pleasantly surprised that after going off and checking the girl I spoke to said that she was going to give me the 2gb extra bolt on allowance for the rest of my contract free of charge. She said she was just going to apply the addon and apply a discount to offset it. I now have 2.5gb total usage per month, alot happier !! :) :)

5. Johnboy501

Johnboy501 Well-Known Member

I signed up with Vodafone and was told 500mb was plenty and that i'd never get near it, now i'm really struggling to keep under it. Might have to have the same conversation with them.

6. Sak01

Sak01 Well-Known Member

Vodafone just gave me an extra 500mb for free after I asked them if there were any options to increase my existing allowance.

I was about to make a thread to tip others off but then I saw this one....2.5gb? damn! If I'd known I would have pushed them more.

Anyway, if you haven't yet I recommend asking for an increase.

7. pav4n

pav4n Active Member

Pre 2011 T-Mobile customer here, meaning I get 3GB :D

Its not needed, but I find it very useful, you can just hit up HQ youtube, google maps, app downloads and loads more without even thinking about your limit, closest I ever got was 2.8GB, and that was with hours and hours of youtube.

8. ajh94

ajh94 Well-Known Member

I'm a pre 2011 Orange customer and im still getting 3GB as well.. It's changed to 500MB now but they told me i have 3GB as i got my contract in Jan 2010

9. Sak01

Sak01 Well-Known Member

Lucky boys. And those on the old O2 contracts get truly unlimited data.

One of the rare examples of early takers getting the better deals.

10. snakeeyes21

snakeeyes21 Well-Known Member

I got my 3 contract in october and didnt even have to ask for an extra data
    addon, i was added automatically so ive got 3gb :)

christ knows how people can manage with 250gb, 500mb or even 1gb

11. sensisimon

sensisimon Member

I have the sim 300 contract with 3 which gave me 300 min, 300 texts and 1gb data. All for

12. lorrebreaker

lorrebreaker Well-Known Member

13. ajh94

ajh94 Well-Known Member

i use about 700mb a month but thats only because my area only has GPRS signal lol so it cant transfer data very fast at all.. :L

14. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to get "The One Plan" for

15. Syphadeus

Syphadeus Active Member

With regard to 3 UK and these "special deals" are they actually that special? Only billboards everywhere and 3's website advertise their "all you can eat data" which, naturally, is suggestive of unlimited data.

If you're renewing or just starting out, it's not really surprising that 3 will give 2GB of data for free, since every new customer of theirs is being offered and advertised the same thing.

16. togger161

togger161 Well-Known Member

I took out a 30 day rolling sim with 3UK in March. Comes with 1GB for

17. Sak01

Sak01 Well-Known Member

Yeah, rub it in you lot. I feel like a mug now with my paltry 1Gb.

I've a good mind to direct Vodafone to this thread.

18. sensisimon

sensisimon Member

19. ktradx

ktradx Active Member

Yeah i've also got 2gb data for free on a sim only plan..

20. Yathushan

Yathushan Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried GiffGaff?

21. Sak01

Sak01 Well-Known Member

I was going to for the data allowance but my contract was

22. Liamalone

Liamalone Well-Known Member

23. togger161

togger161 Well-Known Member

Giffgaff uses the O2 network, and whilst the deals are excellent the 3G coverage is sadly lacking. In fact I get NO 3G coverage at all by me and I live in a major city (Birmingham.) So it's a non starter - what's the point of a good pricing plan for a product you can't use. 2G coverage is fine though.

24. paul_p1

paul_p1 New Member

25. StevenChap

StevenChap Well-Known Member

I might try this on Orange, I use wifi at home but my college has no free wifi and sick of limiting my internet usage when in college!