• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just Got Extra 2GB Data A Month From 3 For Free

nicenswift

May 29, 2010
When I bought my desire from 3 (4 weeks ago) my major concern was that it only came with 500mb data,

I mentioned this to the sales man on the phone and he said the 500mb is more than enough and nobody goes over this, I eventually took his word for it and did the deal.

But last week I noticed that the Iphone4 from three comes with 1gb data.

So I rang back 3 and said that if 500mb is enough for anyone and no one ever came close why did the Iphone4 need 1gb.

The girl on the phone was a little bit stumped and did not take much pushing for her to offer to put the

As I recall (although i can't directly back up) the iPhone browser is 'fattest' around in terms of data use, which would explain why they have a higher data cap in practical terms. 500mb is definitely a bit anemic IMHO, but its very user dependent. If you have WiFi at home and at work, then it'll do you fine. If you don't have an alternative data route at either end and want apps/streaming anything/podcasts/whatever, then you could easilly go over 500mb in a month. Maybe not every month, but some times, and I've heard that 3 are kinda strict about their data use.

Vodafone give a blanket 1gig IIRC, which is solidly usable, and will give you a notification before they start billing you. Also their terms lets you tether, and although you CAN do it on other networks, you aren't supposed to. (I shopped around a lot and my network choice was based entirely off tethering and data cap :p)

Anyways, good for you. Always worth screwing whatever you can out of your network, and Three in particular. When my contract is up I might actually see what I can get... Maybe the 3 gig package with tethering :).

Upvote 0
I was on the 500mb limit with three as well. I was told that my allowance was going to go up to 1gb but when my usage cycle refreshed today it only showed 500mb data limit again. I called up three to ask them about this and when the 1gb amount would be activated.
I was pleasantly surprised that after going off and checking the girl I spoke to said that she was going to give me the 2gb extra bolt on allowance for the rest of my contract free of charge. She said she was just going to apply the addon and apply a discount to offset it. I now have 2.5gb total usage per month, alot happier !! :) :)

Upvote 0
Vodafone just gave me an extra 500mb for free after I asked them if there were any options to increase my existing allowance.

I was about to make a thread to tip others off but then I saw this one....2.5gb? damn! If I'd known I would have pushed them more.

Anyway, if you haven't yet I recommend asking for an increase.

Upvote 0
With regard to 3 UK and these "special deals" are they actually that special? Only billboards everywhere and 3's website advertise their "all you can eat data" which, naturally, is suggestive of unlimited data.

If you're renewing or just starting out, it's not really surprising that 3 will give 2GB of data for free, since every new customer of theirs is being offered and advertised the same thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones