Just got galaxy i7500General

Last Updated:

1. specjr

specjr Member

Hello all, I just got this phone a few days back. So far it seems ok and free apps are a nice feature. Wondering if this phone will last me another 2 years til i can upgrade again or should i get a better phone now while i still can?

2. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

I think you should get a better phone if you just got this one, and if you can afford it. If price is a concern, you could keep it, it gets the job done although it has its flaws. We've got developers working for us though, so it's not so bad really. Welcome to the forums by the way. :D
  3. pikacz

pikacz Well-Known Member

definitely get a better one unless you don't care about updates (officially you'll be stuck on 1.6 if you're lucky) plus the speed of this phone is sometihng that makes my teeth grind (i've had it for 10 months and i'm switching to nexus soon)
  4. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

IMO if you're not a demanding user this phone is OK. Like DaSchmarotzer wrote it gets his job done. It has its flaws (it's a Sam*censored* first phone on Android), but thanks to some developers we will get the max out of this phone.
    Now the question is which Galaxy version of the phone you have? If you have GT-I7500 then OK, but if it's Galaxy S (or some other version)... ...then that's another story.

BTW, I will stick with this phone for a year to 2 years max. Yes, I'm in love with my phone (it's my first smartphone, and first on Android), so yeah I will remember first love for my whole life.
  5. chronodekar

chronodekar Well-Known Member

How much did you pay for it? And depending on what country you're from you might want to consider this phone,

Samsung Galaxy 580 - Overview - Samsung Mobile UK
    Samsung Galaxy 3 and Galaxy Apollo review: Galactic twins - GSMArena.com

Hmm... I've heard (and experienced) corporate idiocy, but this is plain careless. In my area the phone is called the "Samsung Galaxy 3" or i5800 (or i5801) but on the offical UK site it's the 580 ?!?

Anyway, back to the OP, this phone is available for a cheaper price now, than when I bought my i7500.

PS : I'm making a separate thread to discuss this new model - lets not extend the discussion here too much.
  6. specjr

specjr Member

I used my upgrade for this phone and didn't pay anything. I can't return it now though so I'm stuck with it lol. Lots of reading to do here cuz I will attempt to upgrade my firmware so I can watch flash videos. It doesn't work with version 1.5. Is this the latest correct guide to update to 2.2 GalaxyUpdater : V1.0 | drakaz Thanks for the replies ;) edit : I have the I-7500L and live in Newfoundland, Canada.
  7. chronodekar

chronodekar Well-Known Member

We don't have any update to 2.2. :rolleyes:

At least, nothing finished yet. The only 'official' update we've got is to 1.6.

Please be careful with the phone - you don't want to brick it too soon, do you?

As for flash videos, I don't think that was a priority for Drakaz. Then again, who am I to know? I'm still on galaxo. he,he. ;)

specjr likes this.
  8. specjr

specjr Member

Yeah I'm kinda scared to try that update. I will read more before I attempt it
  9. dryhte

dryhte Well-Known Member

No need to be scared though, I'm on the latest nightly and it serves me admirably at the moment. (I'm not a power user though, I haven't tested the full functionality of the device, but the only thing so far that troubles me with it is the 3d gallery (it works but it's f***ing slow, so I'm looking into getting the 2d version back)

EDIT: by the way, for galaxo users: the way to install the nightlies is exactly the same as how to install galaxo (recovery, apply nightly zip, apply gapps zip). So nothing to be afraid of (unless you have an i7500L)
  10. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Just a note that I don't believe flash videos will ever work on our phone. It's only supported on one particular processor as far as I'm aware and that isn't the one in our Galaxy.
  11. Bomberman

Bomberman Well-Known Member

Flash videos - Skyfire browser :)
  12. specjr

specjr Member

I have the i7500L :(
  13. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

2.2 can be done on the L, but it requires a few workarounds. I would recommend holding off until they get a better solution ( at least that's what I am doing for now ).
  14. specjr

specjr Member

ahhh I knew it wouldn't be as easy as scanning the barcode in :( Thanks for all the input. I'll hold off for a while!