1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Just Got HTC Desire.. What to do?

Last Updated:

1. Murgy91

Murgy91 Member This Topic's Starter

Right... so ive upgraded from an iphone 3gs to an HTC desire... got use to customaising.. jailbreaking iphone... HTC seems more complex? Bought one on a three contract.

What is rooting? is it just flashing the phone to a generic HTC ROM?

Is there anything a basic HTC user puts on?

I use advanced task manager to kill my apps... Folder organiser for my internet n camera apps.. Extended controls.... Use the HTC Time and weather ...

Should i root the phone?

Im just a noob really asking advice :)

Advertisement
  2. thekarens

thekarens Well-Known Member

3. Murgy91

Murgy91 Member This Topic's Starter

Cant find whether rooting unlocks the device as well or not? do i need to unlock first?

4. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Welcome to Android! They are lot of apps to explore. Don't make it a habit of using a task manager, Android does a great job already. Only use it to kill an app that is not behaving.

I would root the phone. You have to read everything about rooting your phone first before try to do it. Go to your phone forum for more information. I am nice enough to post a link here: http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/125369-how-root-your-desire-collection-guides.html

Have a great day.

5. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Rooting and unlocking aren't the same thing, you need someone with an unlocking kit or a group like cellunlock to unlock the phone. Rooting gives you acces to removing carrier bloatware, installing apps that require root such as a VNC server or screen capture app, installing custom ROMs, etc