Just got Jelly Bean on GT-P3113 in USAGeneral

Last Updated:

1. useroftablet

useroftablet Member

Just got 4.1 over Kies. Kies gave me a fit though, it kept telling me that battery needed to be charged. I then connected to the laptop and it downloaded 4.1 and installed, it took about 30 min from start to finish.

Faster now but can't delete home screens is the first issue I have noticed so far. Everything else seems ok ATM

Advertisement
    saptech likes this.
  2. chimom79

chimom79 Member

I'm on US and just got the JB update. Well, it's updating now. OTA on my GT-P3113.
    AnciusD and saptech like this.
  3. gyoung345

gyoung345 Member

I got the update yesterday morning. Things that will take some adjustment for me.

1. Status/Notifications moved to the top of the tablet. They used to be in the bottom right corner. Now that they are on the top of the tablet, the icons are much smaller than they were.
    2. The Back, Home, and Recent Apps navigation soft buttons are no longer on the bottom left of the tablet. They are now centered on the bottom of the tablet.

Other things I noticed.

1. The screenshot soft button is no longer available, not a big deal since I had turned it off, but I had to Google how to take a screenshot now that it isn't available (touch Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously).

Is there a way to change it so you don't have the phone UI on the tablet and get the tablet UI back? Here are some shots that outline it and are indicative of the phone UI....

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with Jelly Bean

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with Ice Cream Sandwich
    Frisco and AnciusD like this.
  4. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

5. gyoung345

gyoung345 Member

Try this link instead, I updated the original post as well.

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with Jelly Bean
    Frisco likes this.
  6. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

Interesting. My GT-P3113 Student Edition is not showing the update available. I guess it's coming.
  7. AnciusD

AnciusD Well-Known Member

Thanks. I had read about this from others who got the update earlier. I'm not sure I care for these changes. Haven't updated yet. Overseas users noted that the notification was at top AND bottom - so maybe they fixed it for the US. I waffled on displaying the screenshot key, but decided that I really liked it. Hopefully, there will be some positives with the update. Supposedly it's faster, do you notice it?
  8. Boo Boo

Boo Boo Well-Known Member

does the home screen rotate or is it fixed like it was in the leaked ota?
  9. gyoung345

gyoung345 Member

I haven't been able to spend enough time with it to notice as of yet.

I am not using the default launcher (TouchWiz). I am using GO Launcher HD and it rotates for me on the home screen.
    AnciusD likes this.
  10. gyoung345

gyoung345 Member

kbbru and AnciusD like this.
  11. AnciusD

I wish Google left us the option to customize the UI to our own preferences.
  12. kbbru

kbbru Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. But what Google is saying there is the biggest load of **** that I have heard in a long time. With that logic, my car should have the same controls as my motor bike, to make it easier to switch between them. But in reality they each have the controls that are best adapted to that specific machine.
    The same should happen with phones and tablets. They should each have their own UI, based on how they are used.

I'm glad that I have moved back to ICS and its tablet UI. And I hope that my tablet will continue to function for years so that I can avoid having to deal with Google's ridiculous views on usability.
  13. homas

homas New Member

Yes I got JB (4.1.1) through arm wrestling with Kies on my Tab 2 7.0 wi-fi today also.
  14. useroftablet

useroftablet Member

Kies on Win 7 is a struggle for me. I got angry with Kies I tell you. And the OTA update didn't even show up for me.
    If Samsung can't do any better than Kies they would be better off doing a ftp or http listing of the software and let people install it manually.
    What if people didn't have the know how on how to overcome such ridiculous software?
  15. AnciusD

Is the update available through the Software Update widget, or is that really just Kies? I never could figure out what Kies is/was.
  16. chimom79

chimom79 Member

I got my JB update through the update button. I have never used Kies. It was just finally available OTA for me yesterday. I'm in US.
  17. saptech

Is the Update button in the About Device area? It still show no update available for me. Does anybody with the Student Edition getting the updates?
  18. useroftablet

useroftablet Member

The update button is in the gearbox/settings then About device then software update.
  19. AnciusD

Not sure, but I think I got a notification earlier this evening. I didn't clear it but it disappeared. I haven't checked Software Updates because I couldn't remember if it gives you an option or just automatically starts. I'm in no rush to update until I read about an actual benefit to JB.
  20. Corki2

Corki2 Well-Known Member

I didn't get a notification and when I checked on the tablet for a software update, it said none was available. I knew it was because someone posted it somewhere. I hooked up with Kies on my PC and it notified me and updated to Jelly Bean. I have the Student Edition.
  21. saptech

Thanks for the info. I'm not in a big hurry but thought it should show up as available. I haven't tried Kies yet.

For those who have updated, please keep us informed of how it's working out.
    useroftablet likes this.
  22. autobotguy

autobotguy Active Member

I've been trying to install this update using Kies (OTA isn't available yet here in Portland, OR.) and I've been having nothing but problems. Every time It gets to the point where its gonna install, it states that there is insufficient space available on my tablet. I have 4.7GB available after a factory reset and it says it only needs 3GB for the update!
  23. buffettgirl

buffettgirl Well-Known Member

nothing for me yet. Apparently this is a case of the first shall be last. Right?
  24. Jazzy79

Jazzy79 Well-Known Member

I got it this morning through Kies
  25. useroftablet

useroftablet Member

Try installing update from a different pc, laptop maybe. That worked for me.