• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got Jelly Bean on GT-P3113 in USA

Not sure, but I think I got a notification earlier this evening. I didn't clear it but it disappeared. I haven't checked Software Updates because I couldn't remember if it gives you an option or just automatically starts. I'm in no rush to update until I read about an actual benefit to JB.
I just got home about 30 minutes ago and checked with Software Updates and it is now available. Once you choose SU it does start updating automatically. I cancelled it for now.

My question to all, should I go ahead and update or wait awhile? :rolleyes:

How is the update working for you?

Thnx.

Reactions: AnciusD
Upvote 0

Thnx.

If you want JB, I would say to jump. I don't expect anything else to be right around the corner, so waiting probably won't gain you anything. But, it is a personal decision.

The launcher is a little less friendly in my opinion, so I switched to the same launcher I use on my phone for consistency, but other than that, it seems stable and hasn't failed me yet. Now, I just want to get my apps all arranged onto the home pages similar to my phone and I should be ready to fly.

As you can read in other threads, some people want to go back, but I think different people have different tolerance levels to change, and/or have certain functionality that they like enough to avoid changing.

Upvote 0
I just got home about 30 minutes ago and checked with Software Updates and it is now available. Once you choose SU it does start updating automatically. I cancelled it for now.

Thnx.

After using it for a couple of days, here are my observations

1. I don't like the new placement of the navigational buttons (BACK, HOME, RECENT APPLICATIONS). While I can appreciate Google's desire to unify the UI for all Android devices (see link below), when you are in landscape mode on the tablet, it is difficult to reach the buttons. When they were on the left of the tablet, I could just my left hand for all. Difficult on a 7" tablet, probably impossible on a 10" unless you have gigantic hands.
  2. I don't like the notification bar at the top of the tablet. I use this tablet a lot with Chrome and find that when I am manipulating tabs (moving/closing) and such I keep getting the notification shade popping up (I have found I have this problem on the IPad as well). Also, I find it is a waste of space on the top of the tablet. On the previous version, it was down in the navigational bar which was already being used for the navigational buttons.
  3. The notification shade also doesn't show the battery percentage any longer. I have added the percentage to the notification bar, but it is very, very small.
  4. As for performance, I can say that I don't notice much of a difference. I have never thought performance with my 7" tablet was bad and this update did not make it any worse. Pretty much the same for me.
  5. I haven't used Google Now on this as I tried it on my Galaxy S3 when it was upgraded to JB and didn't find it all that useful, so won't probably use it here either.
  6. The only other observation I have is that one of my apps has started crashing quite a bit. Probably more of the apps fault. Can't say it worked in the prior version of Android either because I installed it right around the same time as JB.

Why Google's moving to a phone-like UI for Android tablets | Computerworld Blogs

Upvote 0
After reading about this, I decided to check my husband's. His was on backorder from Best Buy and he just received it on January 3rd. When I picked it up, there was the notification that there was a software update. When I clicked on it, I got the message that it was not available in the Play Store. When I checked the version he had, it was 4.1.1. I am leaning to it being preinstalled when he got it because everything looks exactly as it did when he received it and it seems very different from the ICS on my Razr.

Upvote 0
I got a notice to update early this morning, and I did it without realizing what it meant...boo.

I also don't like the placement of the nav keys or the notification bar (too small.) But what really bugs me is that the vibration I used to get when pushing a nav key is gone. Samsung tech chat said sorry, too bad. I am not happy about that!

I do like being able to customize the widgets in the bottom row to what I really want available at all times. That's a plus.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link. But what Google is saying there is the biggest load of **** that I have heard in a long time.

QFT. They're out of their minds. A tablet is not a phone... the phone buttons are not part of the screen, so having the system bar at the bottom does not waste screen space. Having the buttons off the screen allows the use of the thinner notification bar (that does not contain the buttons), so it saves screen space.

On a tablet, now we are supposed to have a notification bar AND a system bar, when they used to be one and the same, which wastes space (and on a 7 inch screen, it matters, to me at least). And this is done to prevent the user from having to cope with the supposed frustration of not having buttons where they are expected when switching from a phone to a tablet... which I still don't get, because a phone's buttons move if you rotate the tablet, and a tablet's still stay at the bottom.

Google has been making some dumb decisions lately... like their "you don't need an external SD card, just use the cloud!" thing with the Nexus line. Sure, Google, we all have 4g devices with unlimited data plans that are ALWAYS in range of a cell tower, and always at maximum download speed, so why not?

Upvote 0
Hmm... look at the screenshot in this page... it shows a 10.1" Galaxy Tab 2 with the original system/notification bar and JB 4.1.

The article about Google's reasons for the UI change also suggests that the removal of tablet mode from Android OS started with 4.2. It does not say so directly, but one user comment says that he does not like the change to phone-only, and that the Jelly Bean UI is fine... so for him, JB does not mean phone mode.

EDIT: Ok, found this. Apparently only owners of big tablets get to not waste space having 2 bars... that makes plenty of sense. Perhaps by rooting and editing the build.prop, we can trick it?

Upvote 0
Hi all

I am new to this forum as I picked up my tab on new years eve.

I never used it with ics as it updated to jellybean when I got it. First I like jb and touchwiz. Not always sure which is which. I was wondering what the issue was about the top notification bar was. I used xpro for my browser not chrome. In xpro I can hide the tabs and when i scroll all the way up the notification bar disappears. I checked out chrome. Very few customizable features and tabs are always visible. Notification always remains. I see your loss of real estate.

The icons on the bottom dont bother me as they are not there when I am in an app and i set it up so they are ones I use all the time. (Though settings can't be replaced)

I really like the tablet! I bought it on impulse and learned about the nexus after. I check out the nexus and though I concide the better screen and processor I kept coming home and liking the tab2 better. I like touch wiz and my phones have all been htc with sense. I am not one of those who longs for the pure android experience. My favorite feature is you can change the font LOL! None of the other overlays that I saw had that (Though I am not saying no other one does.)

Upvote 0
The notification bar at the top has one benefit: I don't accidentally hit it anymore while typing. I was constantly accidentally popping it up.

Being left handed, I preferred the old navigation layout. I almost never used the recent apps button, but now that I accidentally hit it ALL THE TIME while going for the return button, I think I will actually use it more often.

I did finally make screen capture work. What a stupid, stupid, 'enhancement' that is. Does anyone know how to get a button back for that function?

Overall, I think things do work more smoothly though.

Upvote 0

Thnx.
The difference in interface is going to take some getting used to, but I think I'll get used to it.
Seems to make better use of screen space.
Been having memory problems, I had to uninstall quite a few apps, clear caches, and erase a bunch of books from Kindle, that I had loaded before a cruise.
Alas, the bloatware is still there, I may have to bite the bullet and root, to get rid of it.
The Play store is not playing nice. Cannot get it to display my installed apps, and am having trouble downloading apps.

Upvote 0
Mine was updated Friday. Took me about 2 hours to get my home screen back to the way I set it up.

I don't have anything bad to say about the update, some people just don't ever like change, so take all of the bashing with an open mind.

Good things, 770 mb of RAM showing now. Lots more than before. I like the docked app list. Set it up with the 5 I use most (email, dolphin, weatherbug, reader and calander). No more wasted home screen space. I seem to have more free space on the internal sd card, went from 1.2 to 1.4 free without ane app removal.

Bad thing (might not be JB's fault) Sygic navigation crashed and took the external SD cards format with it. Ouch, lost all my music and photos. Have most of it on dropbox, but it is still a PIA to reformst and reload.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones