Just got my evo.

Last Updated:

1. Edricflo

Edricflo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just starting the thread now and looking into the future so we can all post our stories for the big day all in one HUGE THREAD :) Haters are welcome!

[​IMG]

Advertisement
    DarkNeo likes this.
  2. mikevember

mikevember Well-Known Member

I picked mine up Wed night from a guy on Craigslist. I was the envy of everyone at work today. Back to the same old me tomorrow. Have a good day guys.

3. Edricflo

Edricflo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You must work with a bunch of Iphoners. :rolleyes:

4. Warrior 3000

Warrior 3000 Well-Known Member

ok so i just went from my HTC HERO to my brand new 1 day old HTC white evo.

what are some things i should be aware of and do to the settings and such, ect.

5. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Definitely check out the Battery tips and tricks but coming from the Hero, the EVO is the basically the same but faster with, of course, new features so you should fly along perfectly.

6. Bnice

Bnice Guest

You might want to check the over all built of the phone first, check for light leakage,back cover is flush and your screen is flush to.

7. htmlcssguru

htmlcssguru Well-Known Member

Make sure you calibrate your battery. Meaning, after you charge 'all night' (or, until the light is green) unplug it, wait about 3-5 minutes, plug it in again and you'll see that it takes sometimes up to 30 more minutes of charge (amber light). Once it's green again, unplug.. wait 3-5 mins., plug in again until green. You should repeat this until you unplug and replug with the light remaining green. This means the battery is actually at full charge instead of a 'ghost' full charge.

8. bfm

bfm Member

Does make a diff to follow this. I am getting very acceptable batt life from my phone now. Thanks to all the other posters who helped with this. All things considered this is a crazy laptop / touchpad masquerading as a phone.
    Best,
    B

9. docprego

docprego Well-Known Member

I have the same question, does this really help?

And if it does help can it be done to a phone that has already been charged several times without yet doing this?

10. htmlcssguru

htmlcssguru Well-Known Member

Yes, you can still do it on a phone that you've already charged a few times. This remedy came about when people were posting that their battery would drop from 100% down to 85% in just a short time (like 15 mins.) then go very slowly after that. The conclusion was the batteries were not being fully charged since these lithium ion types have a 'memory'.

After doing this my phone after sitting mostly idle today since I got up at 9:30 (slept in) until 3:30 is at 88% after doing about 15 text messages and a little bit of other stuff. So, 6 hours of standby time for 12% of the battery life is more than acceptable to me.

I've also done it to my wife's EVO. She yacks alot more than me and since about 8:30am she's got about 82% left.

Last night, after about 15 hours of standy, I was at 60% and surfed about an hour or more (these forums) and tested a bunch of other stuff and still only got to 35%. So, 18+ hours unplugged is more than adequate for this type of phone.

Be sure you follow the other thread suggestions also regarding power management, turning off unused services, syncing of unnecessary crap, etc.

11. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Go to Menu-Settings-System Update, and make sure you update everything. There was a new software out last week that REALLY helps battery life.

12. Neplusultra

Neplusultra Active Member

Something to test with the white evo is 4g if its in your area. A lot of people complaining it just scans when activated

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.

13. guzziknight

guzziknight Active Member

Hi all,

I just got my Evo tonight. Switching service from Virgin and decided to go with the Evo. I'm just waiting for the number to port over. Hopefully I'll love this phone.

Yaniv

14. jiggy79

jiggy79 Well-Known Member

you'll love it. Very addictive :p

15. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

don't plan on getting much sleep tonight. Have Fun! :)

16. guzziknight

guzziknight Active Member

Thanks, guys! Still waiting for the port to take place. I hate waiting! :)

17. MAKOKILLER

MAKOKILLER Well-Known Member

just bought two of these yesterday. I rooted them and now I'm ready to go. just wondering about some things that I can do to help with the battery life. I had the epic, so I know what to shut off or get rid of to save my battery. But this phone, I'm not really sure what to kill and what to leave on? any suggestions?

18. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

welcome to the evo side.. why did you jump from the epic?

for battery after rooting and ROMing..
    here is a brand new free app to help recalibrate the battery.
    i found it 2 days ago... and it helped to get my battery life back. i was down to 8-12hrs a day; now back to double.
    [APP] Battery Calibration - EASIEST WAY! - Version 1.1 (9th April, 2011) - xda-developers

MAKOKILLER likes this.
  19. MAKOKILLER

20. MAKOKILLER

My wife's speaker on her epic died and her slider was failing, so she bought the evo.. I saw how that phone worked and got jealous and had to have one. So I gave my epic to my daughter. I rooted the phones and installed titanium backup and setcpu and wow what a difference in battery life. I had a full charge at 10 am and used the phone quite a bit and still have 80% left at almost 5pm. Also this phone seems to be a bit faster then the epic. And I never used the slide out keyboard either, which makes that phone kind of thick. The guys on the evo side of this forum are a lot nicer too, they really seem to what to help with any questions you might have, which is nice.:D:D

21. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

Because we ain't frustrated at Samsung
    And happy with all the development..

22. MB15SC

MB15SC Member

For me, after having both, I really liked both and had it not been for one main problem with the Epic I would probably have never tried the EVO...reception. The Epic's reception was decent but I live in a 'fringe' area and it would often drop calls etc and the EVO does not. Great reception from the EVO. Tried 2 Epics and both had the same reception strength. If you live somewhere with a good signal I don't see an Epic's reception being a problem but where I live it was. I have an airave so in the house was not a problem, but i drive back roads to and from work and there are 2 places the Epic's dropped the call EVERY time. The EVO has yet to drop a call at either place. As I said, I really really liked the Epic but the reception was a problem for me. I even liked the feel of it in the hand better(I know I'm one of the few) and the answer option where you slide up to answer or slide to ignore or slide to ignore with message. Anyway, very happy with the EVO. Still don't have the nads to root though. LOL

23. BenChase7

I, too, noticed better reception on my EVO. I came from the Palm Pre almost a year ago now, and although a never dropped calls, I noticed that as soon as I got the EVO I had better data reception in certain large, commercial buildings. The Pre would struggle to maintain a solid data connection, whereas the EVO has no problem. Noticed this from day one with the EVO.

24. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i have heard...

that some oem put lower power to the radio to help make batteries last longer.

htc puts more power to radios...better GPS and reception... but not good for battery conservation.

novox77 and BenChase7 like this.
  25. BenChase7

^
    interesting, that would definitely explain it. thanks