Just got my NEW Slingbox HD hooked up!

Last Updated:

1. BigHAZE

BigHAZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I purchased a new Slingbox HD from Amazon and just hooked it up. I then purchased the Slingbox App from the Marketplace and it works really well on my EVO using both wi-fi, 3G and 4g. Next I enabled my EVO's hotspot feature, connected my Acer Aspire One Netbook to my EVO, and connected to my slingbox through a web page interface using Firefox. Although it takes a moment to "ratchet down" the stream, it is VERY watchable and slightly better than Sprint TV in 3G mode. In 4G mode it is noticeably better. I really hope they roll out 4G to the rest of the country in a timely fashion, but it is very watchable on 3G.

I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to watch their TV on the road. I have been a "slingbox holdout" for a long time. The EVO convinced me to pull the trigger. My slingbox HD is hooked up to both my HD Directv box, my SD Directv box (I record different shows on each) and a composite video signal from my home security system. All work flawlessly!

If you have been on the fence about slingbox (like I was) and you have the EVO....I say DO IT!

:)

Advertisement
    DWS44, jmorse, edlex and 3 others like this.
  2. RedWingsFan

RedWingsFan Well-Known Member

I agree. When I get my evo the slingbox app will be one of the first I buy

3. rcubed3r

rcubed3r Well-Known Member

Does the TV picture fill the screen on the EVO using the HD box with slingplayer? I have an older AV box, and it does not, although it is much better than it was on my TP2.

Ron

4. SlimJimE

SlimJimE Member

Is there a noticeable difference between SD and HD over wifi?

5. BigHAZE

Yes...when I watch the stream from my HD box it fills the screen and looks very good.

6. BigHAZE

A little bit...the HD fills the screen and looks sharper than SD. There is still the compression factor to play the file...but you can tell the difference.

7. SlimJimE

SlimJimE Member

Have you done any streaming away from home? Was there a noticeable difference between HD and SD?

I have been debating on getting a Solo or PRO-HD. But I am leaning more towards to the PRO-HD.

8. Shadowsnake

Shadowsnake Member

What DVR are you using, i have a dish net 722k, i'm looking to buy the pro-hd...

9. MacDreThizz

MacDreThizz New Member

What model did you get?

10. Frohoss

Frohoss Member

Can you use the Evo's mini hdmi cable and plug it into another tv with hdmi input and watch slingbox that ways too? i know you can purchase a sling catcher to do this but just wondering if it would work using just the evo and it's hdmi plug?

11. mach330

mach330 Well-Known Member

been wondering the same thing. i got the solo (i figure that the $100 difference from the pro-hd) wasn't worth it to me because in the end it's going to my phone which is compressed anyways. my stb is hd, but i only got the solo. it looks good to me, but i see the staggerndness (kind'a like when you watch youtube in non hq mode). now i'm really wondering if pro-hd will make a big difference. has anyone used both and compared?

12. bigdogdan2

bigdogdan2 Active Member

Is the evo able to handle singbox-HD over only 3G? Theres only 3G in my area.

If it has trouble handling HD over 3G, then would it be better to get slingbox solo and only have SD? Smooth SD is probably better than stop and go HD?

13. RedWingsFan

Sllingplayer will adjust audio/video settings automatically so there is no stop and go issues. Takes a few seconds....but the result is smooth playing. Unless your signal is really poor.

14. RedWingsFan

I have the Pro-HD hooked to my 722. Works great.

Dont have an evo yet though

15. BigHAZE

I streamed on the 3G, so I am not sure what you mean by away from home. The 3G tower my EVO recognizes is in NC and I live in Georgia. It looks great. I got the Pro-HD so I could hook up my HD receiver, my SD receiver, and my home security system to it. Glad I spent the money on the HD unit.

I have a DirectV HR-21 HD Box and a 9 year old DirecTIVO Hughes box, and they both work perfectly with my Pro-HD.

The Slingbox Pro HD from Amazon.com for $264 with FREE shipping

I don't have the mini HDMI cable so I don't know for sure. If you could do that, it would be pretty sweet. I will try to google and find out.

I don't have the solo to compare to, but I am very glad that I got the Pro-HD model. The HD is better looking that the SD on the EVO, but it is VERY noticeably better when watching on my home network or on the patio. The extra inputs put it over the top for me. I am very glad I sprung for the Pro-HD model.

Best of luck with your decisions.

16. cooper1010

cooper1010 Well-Known Member

You also get multiple inputs as well as a built in tuner so you're not disturbing someone who might be watching tv at home.

17. taylora127

taylora127 Member

sometimes i have to drive an hour to get into work. i push my hd directv dvr over 3g without a problem the entire way. i love this phone. i bet jesus had an evo. too bad he had nobody to call.

18. MacDreThizz

MacDreThizz New Member

Has anyone tried the Slingbox Solo?

19. Evotriplep

Evotriplep New Member

Need help! just installed sp mobile on my evo and it says that it cannot locate slingbox. What am I doing wrong? Works fine on my laptop but not on my phone. what gives?

Thanks

20. CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze Well-Known Member

I have had a slingbox solo for a while now. I never have problems streaming and the picture takes up almost the whole screen. I am very happy with this version of slingplayer over the iPhone version.

21. CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze Well-Known Member

Evotriplep- Make sure you go into you slingbox setup assistant and setup internet viewing. That may be your problem

22. 355spider

355spider Well-Known Member

Ok got my slingbox pro hd from Ok got my slingbox pro hd from Fry's last night. Can't wait to get it hooked up. Now I have to buy the app. Can you actually view it just like you do at home? With all the guides and everything?

23. Baboontyme

Baboontyme Active Member

Also make sure the power for your video source is "On". Sounds obvious, but mine says it can't locate Slingbox until I use the remote feature to turn the Dtv box on.

24. Agent Jones

Agent Jones Well-Known Member

i sling player also. I started out with the sling solo sd player from bestbuy for 200 bucks. it was good quality but then i found a sling Pro HD on ebay for 180 bucks shipped so i bought that and returned the sling solo to bestbuy.

Keep in mind both the solo SD and the Pro HD can have an HD input just the solo will not broadcast in HD

Now the quality on the EVO is the exact same with the solo and Pro Hd. the android slingplayer doesnt do High Def. So what ever quality your getting on the pro HD will be the same as you would get on the Solo SD. Confirmed with slingbox staff. however where the difference is when you viewing on a computer. this is where the Pro HD will shine and stream in High Def.

so that means if you are buying a Sling player JUST for your EVO save some money and get a solo. They are going for 100-120 on ebay if you watch. I got my pro HD for 180. So you can save your self 80 to 60 bucks if you only using slingplayer for EVO. Now if you also wanna use it for computer viewing then get the Pro HD

sikclown and vudu like this.
  25. vudu

vudu Member

For those streaming over 3G, can you test with speedtest app what your speeds are? I'm streaming with the Solo and it pause, sometimes for a long time, when I'm streaming to my Evo on 3G. But even a pause of Few seconds every few minutes is too much for a child. Wish the player had buffering.