Just got one - GPS and Google Navigation working fine

Last Updated:

1. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just got back from my local VZW store. No line. I immediately downloaded Google Maps. It installed and ran fine.

Turned on Google Navigation and navigated home. GPS locked quickly, seemed accurate (within reason, maybe 25-50 feet) and gave perfect spoken turn-by turn directions. Woo hoo.

I am gonna download some things and play for a while, but my # 1 concern looks to be appeased right now.

Advertisement
    lonzom10, h0lby5 and tystevens like this.
  2. oPEEPINGTOMo

oPEEPINGTOMo Well-Known Member

I really hope that my conclusions over what most of the people seem to have experienced with the GPS are proven wrong so I can order this thing today and have it by tomorrow.

3. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member

Can you try some voice commands within google maps like "Navigate to McDonalds" and see if it uses google maps or bing maps?
    Thanks!

4. TheAlmightyDrew

TheAlmightyDrew Well-Known Member

I also have the phone now in my possession. Immediately I stepped out of Best Buy, I downloaded Google Maps. It took about 20-30 seconds because this was the first time I turned on Google Maps on the phone. Once it got going, it tracked my location no problem. As I was driving, it followed my location no problem. I stepped into my apartment, it took a little longer to track my location, but it did it no problem...

I think the problem with these reviewers is that they failed to turn all the GPS settings on before testing the GPS. As far as I am concerned, the GPS works 100% fine at this point. Who knows what problems will occur over the next few days.

lonzom10, h0lby5 and tystevens like this.
  5. durangojim

Could you try using the voice commands while in the maps app to see if that works? I use that often while driving.

6. TheAlmightyDrew

TheAlmightyDrew Well-Known Member

The phone has both Voice Search and Voice Commands applications. Voice Search actually runs through Google Search...not Bing which was a refreshing surprise. I tried "Navigate to Starbucks" and sure enough it works perfectly. In a matter of seconds it was already leading me to the nearest Starbucks.

7. durangojim

Great to know, thanks! Maybe I'll change my mind about this phone.:rolleyes:

8. tystevens

tystevens Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Thanks Drew.

I can't wait to get mine later today -- should be delivered to my house in the next few hours. I'm not sure I can make it at work all day -- might have to take off a little early! Or maybe my wife will swing it by my office. Either way, I won't get much done this afternoon.

Edit: and by the looks of it, I wont get too much done this morning, either, as I'm continue to read up on everything I want to do with the phone.

9. Bwangster12

Bwangster12 Well-Known Member

What is the difference between the Voice Search and Voice Commands applications?