Just got spammed on my cellphone!

Last Updated:

1. dawgfan76

dawgfan76 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm so pissed! Emails are bad enough, but now it's my VZW phone being texted! As follows:

"Thx 4 Visiting Our Site Call 877-603-5280 To Claim Your $20 Wal-Mart Card Plus $50 Gas Card! Reply STOP 2Unsub"

What should I do to stop this? Can VZW block or filter this? I'm so mad I don't know where to turn...

edit - I did not visit their site and when I called the # on another phone and got some Indian gal reading a script.

Advertisement
  2. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Yes, it's annoying/aggravating/infuriating, but as long as it remains a one-time occurrence I suggest you ignore it.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Have a read here, dawgfan:

Verizon | Answers to FAQs - Verizon Wireless Support

4. JimmyHat

JimmyHat Well-Known Member

What site did you visit? I can use a Walmart card and a gas card. Just kidding. Contact VZW and have them put a block on 800/866/877 incoming numbers.

5. 00smurf

00smurf Well-Known Member

A block for 800/866/877 #'s would be a good idea, but there is no way to block all of them as some are valid companies trying to call. You would need the entire 10 digit # to block. Not that reps don't want to help, just not able to do a complete area code block. Sorry to break that news, there is always the option to block messages from the internet with the safeguards option via My Verizon.

00smurf

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Another option would be to start using Google Voice as your SMS carrier, b/c I think their blocking ability may be superior (or else I haven't gotten a 'friend' send out my SMS number to good old faithful spammers yet lol).

7. substring

substring Well-Known Member

You know you can sign up your mobile phone number to the National Do Not Call List, do you? The "$16,000 per incident" fine will stop most of the telemarketers.

8. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Their blocking may be better (I don't know), but that won't stop messages from being delivered directly to your real phone number. I suppose you could then block all SMS on your real number.