Just got the LG Vortex. First impressions.General

Last Updated:

1. jinwons

jinwons Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I finally made switch to Vortex from Ally yesterday using my exchange period in Costco. Overall I like it very much! It's still too early to write in-depth report. But here are my first observations, impressions.

Form factor:
    This is one of the biggest reason why I got it. It feels very nice in hand. Not too heavy, not to light. Looks quite sleek. It's a little wider, shorter, thinner than Ally. Seems just slightly thicker than Fascinate.

UI, speed:
    It comes with android 2.2 froyo on board and got 512mb of RAM. It feels surprisingly snappy and smooth in scrolling, swiping through home screens. Launching basic apps like browser, facebook, calendar, email feels fairly quick too. Actually it feels pretty much like my friend's Dinc, Fascinate in the screen UI speed. One downside here is the lack of pure stock android UI. It has LG home launcher on top of 2.2 although Ally had both LG home theme and pure stock android launcher. But this LG home theme doesn't deviate much from the standard android UI look. It only adds fixed bottom icon row (phone, contact, message, browser) on any screen. I will probably use Launcher Pro later on. Anyway the UI speed is very remarkable even with stock LG home launcher.

Screen quality:
    This is 3.2" HVGA screen. Coming from Ally's 3.2" WVGA screen, I can see a little bit of more pixelation on screen but it's not too bad looking. Brightness/contrast seems pretty high even at low setting with vibrant colors.
    Sharpness/clarity looks good too, but Ally was better in dpi. But I like its aspect ratio being a little wider, shorter. It feels like I have a little larger screen.

GPS, call quality:
    I first had trouble locating my position in Google maps using GPS radio. It failed twice. So I turned on the Google location based service in the setting, then it worked fine locking within a minute. Bing map seems to work well too, locking pretty fast and accurately. I haven't tested GPS navigation yet. Navigation is not big issue for me since I have separate Garmin device in my car. Call signal seems to pick up well in my area. I haven't tested many calls yet to judge call quality. But if Ally was any indication, I expect it to be equally good.

Web browsing:
    It's not like twice faster or better over Ally like I expected, but reasonably fast in stock browser. Strangely some oversea sites are loading noticeably slower than U.S sites. So I installed Dolphin HD and it didn't have this problem. I should see if this issue persists in stock browser.

Battery life:
    It's too early to judge this, but it seems fine. I haven't fully optimized apps/settings the way I want yet. There are weather widget, three emails set to push with auto-sync, and the battery drain rate in standby seems like 3% per hour which is not too bad. I should see how it goes with medium usage daily. I'm sure it can improved later with some adjustments and Launcher Pro.

Overall it's pretty solid mid-range phone. I don't miss big boys like Dinc, Fascinate except for the screen quality. My only gripes are lack of LED notification light and it's got Bing search by default. As I find mores from the phone, I will share it here.

Advertisement
    cephea and Sweet Chaos like this.
  2. Sweet Chaos

Sweet Chaos Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I am looking into getting my first Android phone so this was very helpful to me.

3. Zrock02

Zrock02 Member

Can the vortex get flashplayer?

4. jinwons

Vortex is not capable of adobe flash on web due to its limitation in processor architecture (ARM11). But we can use skyfire browser instead to view web pages with flash. I found that web browsing speed on vortex is excellent in android stock browser and lack of flash probably helps with page loading speed.

I noticed that screen on vortex has slight yellow cast compared Ally, but not too bad. Also the battery life got very good after disabling the default weather widget and setting the exchange email refresh interval to 30 mins instead of push. With moderate use, it gets through 12 hours with 65% battery left.

5. joshica

joshica Well-Known Member

Best Buy has a new deal going that the DInc is available for Free w/ available upgrade. I think the Vortex is a nice phone but for anyone that is wanting an Incredible for free, here's your chance. Don't know when this promotion ends.

6. ichido

ichido New Member

I purchased my Verizion Vortex 2 weeks ago and the "LG Home" App Icon is Gone?
    Do I need this App?
    What is it for or what does it do?

7. jinwons

Hmm, my Vortex doesn't seem to have that app in the apps drawer view. It's probably the name of the default launcher in Vortex. I think LG just modified the stock android home screen with their fixed bottom icons and home button and calls it "LG home".
    I installed both Launcher Pro and Home switcher and I can only see "LG home" and "Launcher Pro" in there.

8. ichido

ichido New Member

I downloaded Home Launcher, Simple Launcher and Zeam Launcher.
    LG Home is the Default Launcher, even though I can't find the App's Icon, and I like it the best because it keeps my most used Apps like Phone, Contacts and Opera accessible no matter which screen I'm on.

9. jinwons

So, have you tried Zeam launcher on your Vortex? How was it? I only used Launcher Pro on my Ally before and that really reduced lags a lot, but never tried other launchers. LG home launcher feels fast enough for me and looks good, so I don't feel the need for other launchers as I did with Ally though.

10. AssertiveBard

AssertiveBard Well-Known Member

That is really interesting that you chose the Vortex over the Ally, considering that the Ally is indeed a better device. Props to you for getting what you like.

How are you liking the Vortex so far? Is it living up to your expectations, or falling short?

11. jinwons

I wonder what makes you think Ally is indeed a better device. The only things I miss from Ally are keyboard and screen resolution.
    Vortex is better in every other way. It's got more internal memory and 2.2 Froyo on board, which makes it really fly compared to Ally. Yes, it's living up to my expectations.

12. toni8

toni8 New Member

i have the same problem my home screen has been moved and would like to know hoe to get it back thanks

13. toni8

toni8 New Member

i want to say im happy with my new LG Vortex but im having all sorts of problem s im having dropped calls then this screen comes on saying force close,cant find my contacts,bluetooth has been paired but phone said need to connect,i ve been on this site for about an hour or so today and cat seem to find anyone who has had the same problems please someon help i have 12 days left before i can change for a new phone please help tell me what i need to do or what ive done wrong

14. bogiedogie

bogiedogie Member

anyone having trouble setting up different notifications fro cal/sms/email?

i am. i set up the settings in the individual apps, but the settings on the home screen seem to take priority