Just Got The New "BlueAnt S4" BlueTooth Speakerphone: Evo Works Great!

Last Updated:

1. LisaFitz

LisaFitz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just picked up the new Blueant S4 true hands-free voice activated car bluetooth speakerphone (wow thats a mouthfull) and all I can say is 4 stars with the EVO! (5 When Froyo lands)

Pros: Speaker quality is top notch
    Controls are like Palm Pre gestures (swipe left and right for volume)
    First Bluetooth device with built in firmware upgradable (syncd all contacts to unit via) usb
    Paired within 2 mins to the EVO when first turning it on
    Very easy to use with voice commands, "Answer call," "BlueAnt Talk to me" "What can I say to you." etc...
    Compatible with Bing 411 (yet to try) and will actually read you information like movies times, and other goodies
    from Bing... Also reads aloud your SMS & Emails with supported Android app in market!
    Battery lasts 20+ hrs on standby, use alittle less (charges within 2-3hrs)
    Can be used to stream media and music through speaker as well -
    Comes with 2 visor clips that connect to powerful speakphone magnest on underside (a thick clip and thin clip is provided for different sized visors, also USB cable and car cigerette lighter adapter -

Cons:
    Not until Froyo 2.2 is released will I be able to voice command a call, until than i have to use the phone and click call (but thats like every other bluetooth at this point) So somewhat dissapointed but i can wait so its not a huge deal breaker for me -
    No formal wallcharger, only usb charging and the cable is very very short which makes charging this thing from the visor a big no go (it won't reach)

So there you have it, calls are crisp and clear, has a noise reduction system inside to help with wind etc. Speaker is loud enough for any conditions really, setup was a breeze, and use is even easier! When froyo lands this will be the speakerphone to own. Got it at BB for $99 (had a gift card so said why not) was going to originally buy the Motorola T505 for around the same price, -

Will post long term updates for anyone interested!

Advertisement
    Bagua likes this.
  2. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member

I have one also and Have been using it since launch. Not until last week did I get the app to have it read sms, love it.

Thanks for the review.

3. LisaFitz

LisaFitz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Update**

Unit will read aloud your incoming texts which is pretty funny to listen to, but (which does not specify on box) you have to download "Vlingo" from the market to have your emails read aloud which by the way is $9.99 ...

Just wrote to Blueant to confirm this small left out detail as it says on the front of the box Safereader S4 will read your incoming texts and emails from Android, Blackberry and Iphone native phones and only a small card included in box shows an advertisment for Vlingo reader for email and texts read ...

While the T505 is a top notch unit its also old at this point and is not truley hands free as many reviews show, upon Froyo this will be completely hands free to the point where you just say Blueant Call John Smith and it will call him, as well as end call or switch lines for call waiting etc. Right now its a toss up, but with the other working voice controls its a solid unit -

Also Bing 411 is cool, it connects you to bing when you say Favorites tell me Weather, Movies, stock quotes, traffic conditions etc.. which is sweet, all hands free -

Bagua likes this.
  4. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update I'll look into Vlingo for my email it may come in handy.

5. edwelly

edwelly Well-Known Member

Just a small but important correction: Up to 20 hours talk time; 700 hours standby.... :D

6. bassin46

bassin46 New Member

how do you up date firmware on blueant s4?i have vista and when it start down loading it hangs with error message about usb failed to open. :confused:

7. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member

I couldn't get it to work on Win 7,so used my grrl's comp that still has XP. You can try right clicking on the app and then proceed to to properties/compatibility and check the box marked Run in compatability mode for Win XP.

Don't forget to run as admin.Hope this helps.