1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Just got the S4... but 4GLTE?General

1. heyjoojoo

heyjoojoo Well-Known Member

My area doesnt seem to have 4G LTE so now I'm like.... huh? My Epic 4G Touch gets the WIMAX but the newer phone only gets 3G and LTE....

Any hack that gives this device the capability?

Advertisement
  2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Unfortunately not, it doesn't have the hardware required to pick up wimax signal.
  3. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

You're obviously on Sprint, so let me clear up some confusion. LTE = 4G on Sprint. Their WIMAX is their "Older" 4G network that didn't pan out too well. How are you getting LTE and NOT 4G? It means the same thing on Sprint's network.
  4. heyjoojoo

heyjoojoo Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sorry about the confusion. I'm not getting 4G anything. - No 4G icons in the notification bar....
  5. rivera02

rivera02 Well-Known Member

You won't have 4g until Sprint rolls out lte in your area, so for now you'll be stuck with their 3g service.
  6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

Looks like it's a little west of Elk Grove according to this interactive. Coverage Maps | 4G - USA - Sprint | Sensorly I found for you. Wimax coverage definitely checked out for your area using it so it's probably correct.
  7. bobby2478

bobby2478 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. Live in Twin Cities MN and while we have good 4g WIMAX (my Evo 3D has 4G), there is NO 4g LTE coverage yet. So my GS4 gets 3G only.

Another question: for people connected via 3G on Sprint, what are reasonable Download and Upload speeds? I'm trying to figure out if my speeds are right or horrendously slow.

Last night the towers must have been overloaded or something, it was super slow (300-600 kbps down, 300-600 kbps up), this morning it just clocked in at 2.5 mb/s down, and 860 kbps up.
  8. Lacit1707

Lacit1707 Well-Known Member

what is the difference between 4G and LTE on AT&T?
  9. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

4G is AT&T's HSPA+ network. It's really more like 3.5G because it's not quite as fast as LTE, but it's faster than standard 3G. AT&T's HSPA+ has maximum theoretical download speeds of 21 MBPS. LTE is the true 4G technology with Max theoretical download speeds of 100 MBPS. It uses more battery than HSPA, but provides more bandwidth.