chrisuk76 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

Nice to be here :)

Just got my 2nd hand X10i and it has come with the following:-

FW Version - 1.6
    Baseband Version - 1.0.16
    Kernel - 2.6.29-rel semc-android@SEMC #2
    Build Number - R1FA016

It is locked onto O2 so has slight O2 branding, also there does not seem to be any updates via O2, so am interested in debranding or even rooting the phone.

Question is, how would I do this and what is the risk factor of bricking it?

Cheers

Advertisement
    moods925 likes this.
  2. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Have a look at the All Things Root section on here and also recommend the XDA Developers forum

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 - xda-developers

The other thing I might suggest is to try updating it via the Sony Ericsson Update SErvice, as some people had problem updating over the air on the phone or the PC Companion suite. People have been updated on UK 02 to the R2 firmware, so its out there if you can get to it.

Edit 21.46pm

Just seen a chap on XDA forum saying got new update on UK 02 so give that a bash first.

chrisuk76 likes this.
  3. chrisuk76

No, nothing available when I try. Think I would rather debrand anyway, so would be willing to do this.

moods925 likes this.
  4. huntleth

huntleth Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,

Debranding is extremely easy and can't go wrong as long as you follow the instructions to the letter. Rooting is somewhat more risky, although the guide on the forum linked is very good, and many people have done this who have never tried anything similar before.

If all you're interested in is getting the updates and removing 02 branding, definitely just debrand (link below). Root Access in my opinion is a bit of a pointless exercise if you aren't looking to do things never intended with the phone, or, in the case of many people here, hoping to get 2.2 faster than those without root. That said, it does offer better battery life, response etc.

Debrand here:
    Debrand your Xperia X10 [Tutorial] | Xperia X10 Blog

Cheers :)

moods925 and chrisuk76 like this.
  5. chrisuk76

Ok I think I have debranded ok, all the O2 stuff has gone, but not sure if I have the latest FW? When doing the debrand process does the update program update to the latest FW? As I went to update after and it says there is no update available.

This is now what I have, is it correct?

FW Version - 1.6
    Baseband Version - 1.0.16
    Kernel Version - 2.6.29-rel semc-android@SEMC #2
    Build Number - R1FA016

Is this the latest available to me?

Cheers

Update:- Just gone into the APNs and I still have O2 related settings, but some other parts like the screen with O2 updates have gone, so now I am confused!

moods925 likes this.
  6. huntleth

There should be newer ones available. When you were trying to update, did you do this on the phone, or through SEUS?

7. rosered

Someone on one of the forums, SE/XDA/here, said try the repair option on PC Companion... when you select 'support' and 'update' it then tells you that your phone is up to date but if you are having problems to try 'Repair'. Apparently that downloads the latest update.

moods925 likes this.
  8. chrisuk76

I did notice another file when I was replacing the ones in the tutorial, it was dated around the same time I think, should I have deleted this one before trying to update again? Would this explain why I got rid of some O2 branding, but still had the O2 APNs?

Cheers

moods925 likes this.
  9. kamm

kamm Well-Known Member

I'm running R2BA026 for weeks now.

moods925 likes this.
  10. huntleth

If you're going to reply in this thread, please offer something useful, not just a blatant lie, or attempt at bragging.

moods925 likes this.
  11. chrisuk76

Hi all

Still not managed to get the update, do you think this is due to debranding process not working correctly?

Cheers

12. rosered

Hi mate

Just an update, I have just gone from R2ABA023 to 026 using the SE Update Service.... the PC companion once again was saying I was up to date.

The weird thing is that altho I ran the update from R1...016 to R2...023 on my netbook it wouldn't let me connect to start the update on it this time. Where it tells you to hold down back button etc it the phone just kept booting up in the regular way. I then downloaded SEUS on to our main PC and ran it from there and it went through like a dream.

So what I guess I am saying is that it might be worth having a bash on another computer via the SEUS to see whether you can get the update cos at R1...016 you are still a fair bit behind.

moods925 likes this.
  13. kamm

kamm Well-Known Member

If you are just some 'diot, just keep your silly mouth shut, no need for your verbal vomit. If you are simply too stupid to understand something or simply clueless, ask first.

But even regardless of your sorry@ss mental state it is typically not too wise on any forum to curse people who regularly bring new, correct info, you bum...

moods925 likes this.
  14. powerkiter

powerkiter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

moods925 likes this.