• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

just had a funny argument with an iPhone user

tommy_ed

Android Expert
Feb 26, 2010
just posted something on facebook about android and my friend (iPhone user) commented: "iPhone is better!"
conversation follows:

me: what is better about the iPhone? you can't even listen to pandora and play mario brothers at the same time.

friend: psh

friend: just downloaded pandora app mmmmmm

me: you didnt answer my question?

friend: just tried will not let me minimize but my phone has a really cool apple logo on it pshhh

me: iphone has 1 phone design to choose from. android has over 20. jyea! still havent answered my question =]

friend: isn't smart phones in that sense all based off of iphone ?

me: The wright brothers invented the first airplane, but I wouldnt say a 747 design is based off of their plane. If you mean iphone is a basic form of android I could agree with that. I can actually customize my phone without jailbreaking it.

.......no reply. And he never did answer my question lol

ohhhh these brainwashed iphoners are a sad bunch. If herpes had apple logo on it I think they would pay money to get it.

I like both the iPhone and Android. They are both excellent phones, with excellent apps.

Your friend should answer that he is merely a month away from being able to play Pandora in the background while he plays other games and runs other apps, many of which do not yet exist on Android; for example, he can control his Sonos system or watch TV from his Slingbox. Not to mention that he can use all of those cool apps to make dinner reservations, etc., while he is actually talking on the phone. And, if he has a 3G or 3GS, he can point out that he will actually be able to upgrade to the latest version of the OS as soon as it is available.

They both have their strengths.

Upvote 0
Theming an iPhone is 100000x times easier than trying to theme this thing. And he's probably gone having a life or something. You can't tell me that a lot of what you find in these phones isn't based off the iPhone. It might not be based off of it, but it's taken a lot of cues from what Apple's doing right.

Upvote 0
...and now that Android is forcing apples hand with futuristic technology like multitasking - you could say that the iPhone is based off of the Android. Borrowing technology is par for the course - ask someone who used to work at Xerox back in the day who was the first to do "windows." It's all good.

Upvote 0
But the iPhone has had multitasking for a year with jailbreak. I don't understand why people think Jailbreak=root. It doesn't. Root is only available for some phones and of course my phone isn't. But with jailbreak you can use any Apple device now. Not to mention the fact that you could open an iPhone, set it up, jailbreak it, ssh into it and add themes faster than it would take you to use bettercut to change the icons and it STILL looks like garbage.

And before you go on with your "Android is forcing Apple bs", Apple's been considering multitasking since 1.0. But you know why they haven't done it? It eats the battery. Go ahead and brag about your multitasking now while you can, but the fact remains that you have a HUGE battery drain with multitasking. Why are there so many complaints about battery life if multitasking and task killers have to exist together?

Upvote 0
But the iPhone has had multitasking for a year with jailbreak. I don't understand why people think Jailbreak=root. It doesn't. Root is only available for some phones and of course my phone isn't. But with jailbreak you can use any Apple device now. Not to mention the fact that you could open an iPhone, set it up, jailbreak it, ssh into it and add themes faster than it would take you to use bettercut to change the icons and it STILL looks like garbage.

Of course, Apple would never brick your phone simply because you decided to jailbreak it... now would they?

And before you go on with your "Android is forcing Apple bs", Apple's been considering multitasking since 1.0. But you know why they haven't done it? It eats the battery. Go ahead and brag about your multitasking now while you can, but the fact remains that you have a HUGE battery drain with multitasking. Why are there so many complaints about battery life if multitasking and task killers have to exist together?

It eats battery... yes. And if I want my batter to last longer, then I choose not to multitask on my phone. However, if I want my multitasking and choose to sacrifice battery life, then I can make that choice as well.

Also, I can replace my stock battery with a bigger one... or I can keep a spare battery on hand if I choose.

Isn't choice grand?

Upvote 0
I think I just went with Android because frankly, I'm sick of the stale look of the iPhone and iPod Touch interface. To me it's gotten really stale and neutral looking (kind of like Helvetica for anyone out there familiar with typographic styles). Sense UI was so different to me and even though updates come out slower, to me its worth it because I have a phone that I really enjoy using.

Upvote 0

Easy there buddy, no need to get all worked up about this. The fact is true that iPhone now has some competition. I don't give a rats apps whether you think it is worthy or not. The point is that competition drives innovation and both sides will be better off because of it.

Android WILL force iPhone to move in one direction or another but it will likely be for the better iPhone experience. Maybe it will be locking users out of multitasking, not installing apps not built with it's toolchain, not installing Adobe products, not allowing anything that mentions pr0n. ...or maybe Apple will do some innovation in multitasking so that it has a lower power profile that would be great for all users in the long run regardless of the brand loyalty as the other companies copy the technology. As per iPhone getting multitasking - iPhone users will force the decision in the long run with their credit cards. If enough iPhoners jump to the already multitasking Android - iPhone will certainly get it too.

Like I said, it's all good.

Upvote 0
Given the chance, I'd go with an iPhone in a heartbeat. I just like its way of doing things more, especially with jailbreak. I like having dedicated desktop software for it, and I like the size of the app marketplace. I like android, but not as much as like iPhone OS. Ideally, I'd have a Verizon iPhone, because that's what seemingly everyone wants.

But I own an Eris, and its problems have left me bitter with Android.

Upvote 0
I like both the iPhone and Android. They are both excellent phones, with excellent apps.

Your friend should answer that he is merely a month away from being able to play Pandora in the background while he plays other games and runs other apps, many of which do not yet exist on Android; for example, he can control his Sonos system or watch TV from his Slingbox. Not to mention that he can use all of those cool apps to make dinner reservations, etc., while he is actually talking on the phone. And, if he has a 3G or 3GS, he can point out that he will actually be able to upgrade to the latest version of the OS as soon as it is available.

They both have their strengths.

Just about any smartphone OS can do that. Its not an exclusive feature to the iPhone. My Nokia Symbian phone could. Android can as well. You just can't do it on Verizon's or Sprint's network with any of their smartphones because of limitation of EVDO for data and CDMA for voice and only being able to use one at a time. However you can if your connected to wifi.

Upvote 0
Given the chance, I'd go with an iPhone in a heartbeat. I just like its way of doing things more, especially with jailbreak. I like having dedicated desktop software for it, and I like the size of the app marketplace. I like android, but not as much as like iPhone OS. Ideally, I'd have a Verizon iPhone, because that's what seemingly everyone wants.

But I own an Eris, and its problems have left me bitter with Android.

You sound like my Aunt who is a "fanboi" with her iPhone yet knows nothing about technology or the value of it. I tried showing her how the iPhone isn't as great as my Eris (or at least equivalent too) though she refuses, every time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones