• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just had a system update on Eris??

I have the same file that gruss uploaded. 13.36mb. The md5 checksum is 503008DA4FF106E95EFB5700382BCE49 if you still needed it.

Thanks for the offer, but, being identical, his was as good as yours. I probably missed you by just a few minutes last night.

Is it safe to clear the cache folder? The files I mean, not the folders, I'm guessing the folders are important but there are several duplicate apk files in there from failed install attempts and recent updates.

Yes.

Upvote 0
I got the update this morning as well.

Unfortunately, I'll never know what was improved/changed.

Today I upgraded to an Incredible, MAN what a difference !! :D

I was tired of the trackball of my Eris being posessed and scrolling to where ever it wanted to, whenever it wanted to....it's done that for better part of 6 months, but I never took it in; I absolutely HATE refurbs !!

Way back when, around 2002 or so, when I had a Motorola (I used to be a die-hard Moto-Fan) LCD screen crap out on me, I went to Verizon and they gave me a new (or so I thought) phone..for free !! I was SO happy. I went home, fired it up and found about 20 text messages from a teenage girl. When I called Verizon with a WTF, they said you never get a new phone, only one that has been returned and fixed.

No refurbs for me. I've hardly heard of anyone getting one that lasts.

Upvote 0
Bars mean nothing - there is no standard for the number of bars displayed in the signal meter. What means something is to see if the actual signal strength has changed. Since this is the exact same radio software as was on the phone from the July update, I'd be surprised if you were actually getting a better signal.

Remember that Apple conceded last summer that the iPhone was displaying more "bars" of signal than other phones show for the same signal, and they issued an update that "corrected" this issue.

It's quite alright to say that at home my phone shows 3 bars, and at work it shows 1 bar, so I get a better signal at home. It's another thing to say that before the update my phone said that I was getting 1 bar, and now it is saying 2 bars, so now I am getting a better signal. It's possible, but the real answer is to look at the actual signal that you are showing in dBm, not the probably fake increased number of bars that the status bar shows.

Upvote 0
I agree Mr. doogald. I'm getting more bars but I seriously doubt the actual signal is any better. Seems to me like there were quite a few Eris owners who felt that the Eris the bars didn't accurately represent the true signal strength. Perhaps the bars now do.

Battery life doesn't seem to be any better but then I've only run it for a day or two on the new OTA. Too soon to weigh-in with certainty.

Upvote 0
I got the update and then rooted my Eris. All seems ok. I guess I am wondering how do i go about putting applications on my SD card? That was the main reason to root. Is that why everyone else roots thier phones?

Well, there are about 3 or 4 ways to skin that cat. The answer you are looking for though, depends a little bit on what your motivations are. I'll ask you a couple questions in a moment, but let me answer your second question first:

There are several reasons to root; one of them is performance:
- your stock kernel will only run at 528 Mhz; your phone can probably run quite safely at a 40% higher speed (710 or 729 Mhz).
- The "JIT" technology in Froyo and Gingerbread is a definite performance improvement: on average, over a wide variety of activities, you'll see about 30% speed improvement [I}in addition to overclocking benefits[/I].

The other reason is features. Almost all of the "stock" applications in later releases of Android - the photo galleries, the music player, certainly the web browse, the email client, etc, etc are improved with better usability and features. Since there are not Froyo or Gingerbread stock ROMs for the Eris - so if you want it, you need to root.

Now back to your first question; the right answer to give you depends on what your motivations are. Do you want to "go about putting applications on my SD card" because:

Q1) Is it simply because you are running out of space for more apps on the phone? -OR-

Q2) Is it because you want to try out lots of different ROMs, and be able to restore your favorite apps quickly? -OR-

Q3) Do you need to have access to the application ".apk" files - so they can be "side-loaded" later, perhaps into a different ROM?

Q4) Do you plan on using either Froyo or Gingerbread ROMs?

The reason that these questions are important is because:

- There are methods to backup/restore *.apk phones using 3rd-party apps, especially if the phone is rooted. This is probably the most portable between Android OS releases.
Read up a little bit about the capabilities of Titanium Backup

- With a rooted phone, the entire /data/app and /system/app folders can just be copied to capture all applications on the phone - a two or three-line script would be sufficient to perform backups, if that is all you are after. It doesn't solve the "I'm running out of room" problem, though.

- There are solutions for moving apps to the SD card for Eclair (2.1) ROMs, including your "nearly stock rooted ROM" - but note they make your SD card incompatible with Froyo or Gingerbread
Read up a little bit about "apps2sd" for the Eris

- There are native Android methods in both Froyo (2.2) and Gingerbread (2.3) ROMs for moving apps to the SD card (but the apps are encrypted - not .apk files, and I'm not sure they can even be moved to another ROM). But they do alleviate the problem of "not enough space for apps in the phone's primary memory"
Read up a little bit about moving Applications to the SD card in Froyo and Gingerbread

- There are methods for alleviating space constraints in /data - the location where apps are normally stored. I believe they will work with Eclair, but perhaps not in the exact same format as is currently used in Froyo and Gingerbread ROMs.
Read up a little bit about "cache2cache" for the Eris

- When it comes to application backups, Froyo and Gingerbread have methods where all of your apps get restored to a new (Froyo or Gingerbread) phone by the Android market as soon as you boot and sign in to a new Android phone, or sign in to a (Froyo, Gingerbread) phone that has been factory reset. This substantially reduces the difficulty of moving between ROMs or phones, or recovering from a factory reset.

Finally, while it is true that a skilled dev can patch these things together into a nearly-stock rooted ROM, it requires some Unix/Linux skills, and it is probably very intimidating to a new user of Android/Linux/Unix to be able to do the necessary research and perform some of those operations.

It is probably easier to just flash a ROM that has all that stuff set up for you in the first place.

If I were you, I would do some reading here on this board about the steps and third party apps people use when they are ROM-hopping, to ease the difficulty of setting up a new ROM - things like backup & restore of:

- SMS messages