Just had an X in my grubby mitts!!! (My impressions)

Last Updated:

1. Garemlin

Garemlin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yeah I am a little giddy. Stopped by the VZW corporate store on my way home from work to confirm a few things on my add a line. Well while I was talking to the rep I asked if they had an X test mule in yet. And he proceeds to unholster his to show me. Apparently VZW employees were allowed to order them early. Well while I was looking at his another rep there that I know wallks up next to me and without a word hands me one to play with. Messed around with it for around 1/2 hour. Happy days!!!!

So here are my impressions:

-Yes it is big. But the thickness makes it feel not as big as it is. I don't have what you would call big hands and I could hold it comfortably and while holding it in my left hand could thumb the top right corner of the screen. And it is very well balanced.

-The hump is not intrusive at all. In fact as reported before while holding it in portrait mode your index finger rests right under. Now here is something about the hump that I have not seen reported. When holding it in landscape the tip of my my middle finger could actually sort of grip the hump offering a bit more stability.

-It is fast. Very fast. Browser and apps loaded up without hesitation. A few non mobile sites took a bit longer to load. But I am sure that will be non-existent with FroYo.

-The installed battery management and file management software are a nice touch. The battery management lowest setting for data on/off is 15 minutes. Not as variable as Juice Defender but it will do.

-The Moto widgets are really cool. The resizing feature is nice but only works with the amount of spaces that are available on your screen. It isn't infinite resize.

-Typing and Swyping on the keyboard is a dream. Even in portrait mode. I tried to type extra fast so I might flub up and didn't. Double tap is a great added feature in the stock keyboard.

Now with the good comes the bad. Nothing major so don't freak out.

-While the widgets are cool they are for lack of a better word boring. Seems like no thought was put into making them look good. Guess it is more function over form.

-Pinch and zoom is VERY sensitive. Almost too sensitive. I was playing with it in maps and was having a really hard time getting it to a specific zoom point.

-Though the size is nice, with a case it does start to lean on the bulky side. The rep had the case/holster combo on his and it does at a little thickness to it. Those of you with bigger hands or plan to run naked (not literally) won't have an issue. I will be running a case so the added bulk is a small trade-off for what I am gaining with the X. Not a deal breaker by any means.

-The screen, just like the Droid, is a fingerprint magnet. I will be adding a Clarivue dry apply protector to mine to lessen it.

Well that about sums it up off the top of my head. I may have missed a few things that I looked specifically at so if you wanna ask maybe it will jog my memory.

EDIT: Forgot to add I loaded up LauncherPro and it worked flawlessly. Improves the looks of the dock tenfold IMO. One thing I really don't like is the looks of the stock dock tray.

And to end this post here is a slightly (very actually) blurry pic of the X taken by my Droid.

[​IMG]

Advertisement
    bsutton1, DrJD, paul89 and 3 others like this.
  2. CDEFG...

CDEFG... Member

"slightly blurry"? Now I know how my mom who has problems with her eyesight feels not being able to see things clearly. LOL! J/K. Nice writeup!

3. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea I think the widgets look boring too. I didnt know how to explain it when I saw the wifi, gps, etc widgets online the other day. Boring is the best description.

4. Garemlin

It didn't look that blurry until I saw the full sized image. I prolly should have snapped a few to be sure. Oh well we all know what it looks like by now. :D

5. JazzMat

JazzMat Well-Known Member

Yeah, the widgets are really weak. As a graphic designer, I can't help but wonder why Motorola doesn't devote a few more resources to making its skin really pop. I've always been a function-first guy, but there is a little something to be said for the benefits of eye-candy. Come on, Motorola... Give us something to look at that makes us say "Wow!"

6. jthacker

jthacker Well-Known Member

So these Motorola icons...can they be changed without running a different launcher (LauncherPro, etc)? Or are they part of Motorola's "not-blur" skin and unable to be messed with? Never had an android phone, so I'm still trying to get everything down. Sorry.

7. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Yea the eye candy for the widgets is for the most part...BORING! But hey, its still a sick phone...

8. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

The moto widgets can just be removed, right? Sounds like nothing different than I get from my extended control widgets that I used on my Incredible, when I had that.

9. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member

So does it have gorilla glass or not???

10. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

It is possible to change the icons. You would have to get better cut and get an icon pack.

jthacker likes this.
  11. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

Yes it does.

12. paul89

paul89 Well-Known Member

yes I agree this widgets look very boring to me, and I probably wont use any of them, in fact the whole thing. I will be replacing the HOME and I will have different widgets, so it doesn't bother me any. Also I will be running naked, with maybe a screen protector!

13. Garemlin

The widgets aren't there by default. You place which ones you want on your screens just like vanilla Android and Sense.

14. brackett5

brackett5 Well-Known Member

Can you use the Moto widgets when using Launcher Pro????? I know when you used LP on the DInc, you couldnt use the sense widgets and I was wondering if this is like that.

15. Garemlin

You can use the Moto widgets but they can't be resized when you use LP.