Just have a few questions before I root...

Last Updated:

1. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think I have gathered enough courage to root my phone. I started researching about rooting at around 11:00PM, have been scouring a lot of pages from this forum, to XDA as well as watching some excellent walk through videos at "The Droid Demos" site. It's already 4:00AM here and i'm so overwhelmed with all the information as well as having a few questions of my own:

1) From what I read, once rooted, you have to download another app so you can get WiFi. Can't you use the Wifi hotspot widget that comes with the phone? I just love how the widget goes along with all the other widgets. Does the unrevoked forever have the app already installed?

2.How long does the process from start to finish take?

I'm already falling asleep while writing this post. I hope no one will give me a hard time by telling me to search the forums. I already did, but can't find a more specific answer then what was provided.

Anyway, good night everyone, it's already 4:12 AM HERE.

Advertisement
  2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

1. Yes you have to download the tether app if you want it free. If you use the one that came with the phone you have to pay the $30 fee!

2. Rooting itself is pretty quick. I think it took me about 20 minutes all total and the majority of that was just downloading and setting up stuff (slow connection at the time). Flashing Roms/Kernels/ect is where you can spend some time. It's a matter of finding a match for you! Think about how long it took you to customize your home screen...

Caloy likes this.
  3. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

I also went through the overwhelmed part. After doing my research I chose to follow Matlocks guide and it worked flawlessly. The total time it took me was about 30 minutes.

The Wireless Tether app is free and works great although I am having an issue connecting when setting WiFi Encryption on but that is something I will just have to work through. I have been a heavy user of PDAnet and although I have not performed any scientific testing on speed Wireless Tether seems to be just as fast.

Caloy likes this.
  4. Caloy

Thanks guys. Another questions would be, if there would be an update on Sprint, PRL, HTC, I cannot do those updates when I'm rooted right?

5. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

I'm not far enough into this to answer definitively but I think you can but it would overwrite the root unless you were on the unrevoked forever. Matlock, Mr. Ed, Festko KGB, Android SPCS?

Caloy likes this.
  6. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

I haven't tried to use the feature yet, but according to Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo list of features, you can use the Sprint HotSpot feature with that ROM. That aside, it is a really nice ROM (coming from someone brand new to rooting himself).

[ROM] Myn

Caloy likes this.
  7. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member

I generally use wireless tether, but you can use the hotspot feature like is used in myns rom. Myn, however, got it from calkulin here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=785271

It is they tether mod. Also, do not accept htc or sprint updates. It usually only takes a day or two before any update will be included in a ROM which is safe and easy to update. If you want to update any radios etc I recommend going over to xda where they list them all.

Caloy likes this.
  8. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

super easy to root, man..just DO IT!

dont take any OTA updates, as others said it will ruin your root
    a day or 2 after any updates, there are ROMS available that will have the updated stuff in them, so there is no reason to ever go back to not being rooted

read up on roms and kernels and stuff, and you will have a blast!

Caloy likes this.
  9. Caloy

Thanks guys, I've read up a little bit more, and will definitely root my phone this weekend... Cheers!

10. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

As far as the PRL - Go ahead and update. No harm will happen nor will you lose ROOT.

The Profile will not update. Not totally sure why. Searching around to see exactly why this in the case.

And of course, the Firmware and Software updates will not apply themselves with ROOT since the S-OFF (security) is not active. The updates know to know install themselves if there is no security active on the device.

Caloy likes this.