Just ordered a driod x. What apps should I get?

Last Updated:

1. sawtooth

sawtooth Active Member This Topic's Starter

like mentioned im new and just wanted to say hi to every one.

should have the x tomarrow and cant wait to get rid of the black berry storm.

what are some good apps to have? heard a app killer is a must but besides that idk. never had a andriod phone before

thanks

Advertisement
  2. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Well-Known Member

Dear god NO task killers.
    You will be sorry.

3. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

4. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

do a quick search...task killer

there are 2 sides to this argument.
    I am on the side that says... dont use it.

OP.. welcome to the AF

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, sawtooth.

I moved your question to the Droid X forums for you.

6. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member

7. mlclm

mlclm Well-Known Member

This is why. :) There's also a video that explains it really well, but I can't seem to find it.

8. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member

Launcherpro is great.
    Tasker is also one of the best apps I have - there's definitely a learning curve to it, but makes a smartphone a *smart*phone.

9. apavolka

apavolka Well-Known Member

It is easy to uninstall so just go through the market at what you want and try it out. Most paid apps have demos or you can get a refund within the first 24 hours. Do some searching around. That's what I did and I've only had an android phone for a year and can get around smoothly. Have fun with your new phone, BBs got nothing on android :p

10. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

Task killers have been disabled in the 2.2 software so they are pointless now, they were great for those who weren't rooted on 2.1 if setup properly.

11. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Which apps should you get? Hell get all of em, have you seen the memory this thing has? 150 apps later and im barely using one tenth of the internal storage. A friend of mine has an EVO, he asked if I had an app that allows you to move stuff to the SD card. I told him I know there are apps that do that, but I have no use for them. For me anyways its about as useless as sticking a turbo charger on the booster rocket of the space shuttle. If you can't get by with ten billion horse power, I'm not sure what a few more hundred is gonna do for ya.

Welcome to the dark side.

12. sawtooth

thanks. already learning. should have the phone tomarrow so im pumped.

should i get a screen protector for it???? i hate those things but dont want to damage the screen. heard it uses some tuff glass and shouldnt get damage in the pocket without one.

im just so happy to finally get ride of this black berry. i liked it the first couple months because it was my first nice phone but then it started getting slow, freezing, internet sucking, freezing more ect... same with my sisters and a guy at work. we are all getting the x. sure the x is freaking huge but slimmer and not that much taller then my storm.

think it will take me a little while to figure the phone all out but what ever it should be worth it

13. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i vote no .. on the screen protector.

it takes away some of the visual ...

and you loose some of the smooth feel of the glass .. when you swipe your fingers across it. You may not feel it at first.

put on a screen protector... wait 2 months.. then remove it.
    you will never put one on again.

I might use a protector... if it was not made of GLASS!! and it is even strong glass.

14. Skull

Skull Member

what's a driod?

15. sawtooth

a word not spelled right. droid haha

16. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

It's french for 'droid'... the 'd' on the end is silent.

I went through 3 or 4 different brands of screen protectors until about two weeks ago when I suddenly became aware that my screen is made out of 'Gorilla Glass'! And as soon as I did, I peeled my Skinomi screen protector right off of that son of a gun and let that beautiful screen breath. :)

Now just because your screen is made of Gorilla Glass doesn't mean you can go skipping it along the sidewalk or play fetch with your dog with it. But it does mean that 98% of the things that would easily scratch a plastic screen, are not going to damage your DX screen. I had left my old screen protector off of my phone for about 3 days before my Skinomi arrived, and in those 3 days I absolutely fell in love with the naked screen. Who ever said put a screen protector on your phone and then take it off 2 months later was dead on the mark, I used the phone for a few days before I applied my first screen protector, and never even noticed a difference when I put the first one on. But man oh mighty could I ever feel the difference after having one on for a couple of months. It has an almost exotic feel to it. It doesn't feel like glass, it feels like glass coated in silicon or something. I hated having to put the Skinomi on when it finally came through the mail, but I had to protect my beloved DX... right?

I don't know how I missed that they made them with Gorilla Glass, but I did. Now that I know it has protection built into it, I'm going naked from here on out. That doesn't mean I put it in my pocket with all my car keys or my change or any of that stuff, but then I never put it in my pocket with that stuff when I had a screen protector on it either. I don't push my luck by any means, and I do realize that not having a screen protector on it leaves it more vulnerable than if I did have an SP on it... but I also know that sceen protectors don't protect against EVERYTHING out there either.

You are always at risk of damaging a phone just by owning it. With Gorilla Glass for a screen, I feel secure enough not to cover it with a thin piece of plastic.

17. sawtooth

alright so im not added a screen protector then. i hate them things. pain to get on right, hard to not have bubbles, kind of pricy, peel. i had one on my BB storm since i bought it and took it off a few weeks ago and that still looks great so im guessing the x well be ok.

18. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

I've been using the verizon screen protector, and I hate the anti-glare, but since I am rather abusive, I've already cut two of them, so I will be leaving mine on.

I do have a screen protector on order from zagg.com - will let you know how it works out

19. droidvirgin

droidvirgin Member

When I got mine, I did some Googling about the applications and came across tons of info, including these two lists of "apps you must get" from when the DX first came out:

1) eweek
    2) pcworld

DroidVirgin - no longer...

20. sawtooth

i got it and love it. WHY!!!! better then any phone i have tried or had. the internet is crazy fast. got a few games and apps. put the 8 gig sd card that came with my BB into the X. now im just trying to figure out if you can make folder for things. i want one folder labled games and stick all of them into that and one for apps jus tto clean things up a little. will have to google that. its a little tricky but im figuring things out

21. AntDogs

AntDogs Well-Known Member

put your phone into the computer and set it to USB mode and go into the folder and you can add your folders there etc

grrrrrrrrrrrreat phone just got mine like 2 weeks ago

22. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

op..

find an empty spot on the home screen.
    (long press) touch and hold..
    select "folder"
    touch the folder .. to open it.
    long press the top label "folder"... to change the name of the folder.

most things on android is pretty easy.. just touch or press menu.

23. sawtooth

thanks. ill deffinatly try that now. this site is a must for this phone haha. tricky but i love this phone

24. sawtooth

works. thought it would just put it into the folder and only show there though. o well, i can find them much faster now

25. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

what do you mean???

app drawer.. always has all apps you load. one place for all things: except widgets. Widgets can only be found in the same way you added the folder.

you home screens and anything on the home screen are short cuts. Deleting them on home screen does not remove the app from your phone.