Just ordered :) - Does Satnav work for the UK?Support

Last Updated:

1. yakboy

yakboy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After having an iPhone 3G for all of a week I've decided to ditch it in favour of the nexus one. Got paid this morning and my order was in by 0900 GMT. Can't wait for it to arrive... anyway, my question:

Apologies if this is already answered but I've searched and found nothing: Does satnav work in the UK out of the box? I don't believe so but worth asking :)

If not.. have any of those devilishly clever developer peeps got it working here yet?

My fingers are crossed! If I can sell the iPhone 3G AND my TomTom this thing is almost free! (until the VAT bill arrives).

Cheers.

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

No it doesn't I'm afraid. It was hacked but Google closed it down outside of the US.

With the Nokia news, I an hoping that things will accelerate.

3. yakboy

Oh well! Never mind eh, I'm sure they'll resolve the licensing issues in the future and I'll be all set!

Thanks for the quick response.

4. markouk

markouk Well-Known Member

I thought you can navigate using the google maps thing? Is that the one you're talking about? I downloaded it a couple of days ago and it works fine. It replaces the standard Google Maps with some other version that can do Navigation. Maybe this is the car navigation one instead of google??

5. yakboy

Interesting marko, does it provide turn-by-turn instructions?

Does it look like this?:
    Google Maps Navigation beta press shots - Engadget Galleries

And just to confirm... you are in the UK right? :)

6. markouk

7. markouk

Hmmm, just tried it and it doesn't work!! Must've been patched or something.

8. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

It can't do turn-by-turn voice instructions, but you can get directions as per google maps on the web, and then use your GPS to show which bit of the road you're on. As long as you follow the line you'll be OK (which is sort of tricky when it comes to roundabouts, I suppose it depends how far in you're zoomed).

9. cxm

cxm Active Member

the old hack was blocked by google's servers, but the same guys came out with a revision (read the top edit 3)

[Think Tank #2 - SOLVED] Modifying Maps to enable Navigation outside USA - xda-developers

it will give you turn by turn voice, but will not show you the arrow for your next turn. I have tried it in UK and it works - it's a compromise, but give it a try.

I also hope that given Nokia's recent moves on gps, google will be forced to sort out their data licensing issues a bit quicker - it has been a work in progress since last august according to their forum

10. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

CoPilot on the Market is a good option if you want a paid Tomtom alternative. Obviously you need to think about the car dock too...

11. yakboy

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! Gotta love a good forum :)