• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just ordered my Zenwatch!

gerryex

May 2, 2011
Hi ALL,

Just ordered my watch from Amazon. There were some internet articles about the price being lowered to $120 at Google Play(GP) and a little higher at Amazon(A) and Best Buy(BB). Unfortunately GP is now at $199 as is BB but A was at $149. So I bit the bullet and ordered it.

I initially bought one of those cheapie Chinese "Smart Watches" for $20 and they are just Blue Tooth interfaces to the phone so you can actually have a speaker phone conversation using the watch. There is an app that goes on the phone to send notifications to the watch but you cannot dismiss the notifications and the apps are VERY unstable.

But it did give me a taste of remotely accessing my phone so I did a lot of reading and was going to get the Sammy Gear Edge when I found the Zenwatch. For looks alone the Zenwatch blows away all of the competition. I always had a digital watch so I'm used to the square watch and actually don't like the round watches. I saw some reviews and pictures of the Zenwatch 2 but while its a little cheaper I did not like its styling and it was quite a bit thicker than the original. So I figured why not - its only money!! (And, no I'm NOT rich!!!)

I'll post my impressions once I get it.

Gerry

Last edited:
With a price of $129.99 I'm seriously considering making my jump into smartwatchery with the zenwatch dos. However it'll probably be in a few months. I'll be watching for more objective reviews!

Hi exninja,

Well, I got the ZW and while I liked it in general, it was way to big for my wrist which is on the small side. But then I got the ZW2 which comes in two sizes and the smaller size fit my wrist quite nicely.

Overall I am quite pleased with the ZW2's performance. The main reason I got it is to be able to respond to notifications from the phone and be able to dismiss them from the ZW2 and that works just fine. The ZW2's interface is mainly verbal to "OK Google" but as long as its connected to the phone that also works well. Android Wear is still developing and there are some rough edges. The ASUS Zen Watch Manager has some extra watch faces which I like but some of its functions either do not work or cause other problems, however none of them are show stoppers.

The display is nice but in the outdoors it is kind of hard to read (most smart watches have this same problem). The ZW2 is reasonably comfortable but I'm very much used to a metal expansion band and once I installed one on the ZW2 it was very comfortable to wear.

I guess that's about it and again I am quite pleased with it. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask me.

Gerry

Last edited:
Reactions: exninja
Upvote 0
Hi exninja,

Well, I got the ZW and while I liked it in general, it was way to big for my wrist which is on the small side. But then I got the ZW2 which comes in two sizes and the smaller size fit my wrist quite nicely.

Overall I am quite pleased with the ZW2's performance. The main reason I got it is to be able to respond to notifications from the phone and be able to dismiss them from the ZW2 and that works just fine. The ZW2's interface is mainly verbal to "OK Google" but as long as its connected to the phone that also works well. Android Wear is still developing and there are some rough edges. The ASUS Zen Watch Manager has some extra watch faces which I like but some of its functions either do not work or cause other problems, however none of them are show stoppers.

The display is nice but in the outdoors it is kind of hard to read (most smart watches have this same problem). The ZW2 is reasonably comfortable but I'm very much used to a metal expansion band and once I installed one on the ZW2 it was very comfortable to wear.

I guess that's about it and again I am quite pleased with it. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask me.

Gerry
That's the big reason that I want one too. That and looking at the time without taking out my phone....kinda like wearing a watch. I know, weird!

Upvote 0
Mine arrived Wednesday and I wore it all day yesterday. Google Keep wasn't working so I had to do a factory reset and it's working now. I kept the always-on ON and it lasted the day. It drains the battery on my phone more than I'd like. It seems to tax Google Services a lot. I'm hoping that settles down since some of the reason for getting the watch was to use the phone's battery less. We shall see. Otherwise it's working well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones