Just picked up my new Flyer :-)General

Last Updated:

1. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Just picked up my new 32gb Flyer today. Not had chance to play with it much yet other than get my Gmail set up and a few other bits.

First impressions out of the box: Very nice. Quality feel to it. Heavier than imagined and I could even choose the colour.... as long as it was white!

I purchased it n Thailand for Baht 20,500 which is around

Advertisement
  2. Vipfreak

Vipfreak Well-Known Member

I just picked one up today to "rent" although I'll probably be buying it once I return the rental. So far it's not bad. I'm still undecided about the stylus.
  3. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Well-Known Member

I got the stylus for free through a deal at Best Buy, I probably wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

I hardly use it. I'm not particularly good at writing with it so I don't take hand written notes, and I'm not an artist so I'm not drawing with it. I was hoping that HTC would come out with a bunch of new apps that would use it, however I'm not certain what those would be.

I do however think that tablet itself is great. I use it for portable work email and calendar. It's certainly better and my N1 for anything longer than a few lines of email, and it's integration with Evernote is handy to match notes with events. I keep a small notepad with it, and after taking hand written notes I use the camera to take a picture in Evernote to save it. Then it's in my cloud account and can get to those notes on my phone or pc too.

4. Vipfreak

What's the deal for the stylus?
  5. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Well-Known Member

The deal was at a few Best Buy stores in my area (Northern VA / DC Metro). If you bought the Flyer, you got the stylus for free. This was a just a few weeks after release when they were first getting the backlash for the cost of the un-bundled stylus at Best Buy.

They didn't really advertise it, but the sales person knew, and it was in the register when you checked out. I don't know what the current deal is, or if they have started to bundle it.

There are other, cheaper ones that work with the Flyer. I think the Fujitsu tablet has one with the same technology for $30 vs $80. I would have been disappointed if I'd paid for it, but for free it's not bad. However I don't really have a use for it, other than the occasional doodle for fun. Now that HTC has started to release development tools I'm hoping that someone comes up with a killer app for it. I just don't know what that would actually be.

No top of that, finding a case that can hold the pen isn't easy either. Although at this point I'm sure new cases have come out. I ended up buying a case for the Nook on the cheap and it fits just fine - but no pen. I posted some pictures in another thread that was taking about cases, I'm sure that thread won't be hard to find.

http://androidforums.com/htc-flyer/343413-nook-case-fits-flyer.html
  6. Vipfreak

Oh ok... Fail.