• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just picked up my new Flyer :-)

Dave L

Apr 30, 2010
Thailand
Just picked up my new 32gb Flyer today. Not had chance to play with it much yet other than get my Gmail set up and a few other bits.

First impressions out of the box: Very nice. Quality feel to it. Heavier than imagined and I could even choose the colour.... as long as it was white!

I purchased it n Thailand for Baht 20,500 which is around

I got the stylus for free through a deal at Best Buy, I probably wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

I hardly use it. I'm not particularly good at writing with it so I don't take hand written notes, and I'm not an artist so I'm not drawing with it. I was hoping that HTC would come out with a bunch of new apps that would use it, however I'm not certain what those would be.

I do however think that tablet itself is great. I use it for portable work email and calendar. It's certainly better and my N1 for anything longer than a few lines of email, and it's integration with Evernote is handy to match notes with events. I keep a small notepad with it, and after taking hand written notes I use the camera to take a picture in Evernote to save it. Then it's in my cloud account and can get to those notes on my phone or pc too.

I just picked one up today to "rent" although I'll probably be buying it once I return the rental. So far it's not bad. I'm still undecided about the stylus.

Upvote 0
What's the deal for the stylus?

The deal was at a few Best Buy stores in my area (Northern VA / DC Metro). If you bought the Flyer, you got the stylus for free. This was a just a few weeks after release when they were first getting the backlash for the cost of the un-bundled stylus at Best Buy.

They didn't really advertise it, but the sales person knew, and it was in the register when you checked out. I don't know what the current deal is, or if they have started to bundle it.

There are other, cheaper ones that work with the Flyer. I think the Fujitsu tablet has one with the same technology for $30 vs $80. I would have been disappointed if I'd paid for it, but for free it's not bad. However I don't really have a use for it, other than the occasional doodle for fun. Now that HTC has started to release development tools I'm hoping that someone comes up with a killer app for it. I just don't know what that would actually be.

No top of that, finding a case that can hold the pen isn't easy either. Although at this point I'm sure new cases have come out. I ended up buying a case for the Nook on the cheap and it fits just fine - but no pen. I posted some pictures in another thread that was taking about cases, I'm sure that thread won't be hard to find.

http://androidforums.com/htc-flyer/343413-nook-case-fits-flyer.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones