• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just purchased my first Android phone what's the first thing I should do?

Cepheus

Jan 2, 2010
As the title states I just purchased this phone I upgraded from a first Generation Samsung Instinct to the Behold II. First thing I did was insert my old 8gb card and replaced the stock one. The phone is nice and all but I wish I could have gotten the HTC Hero instead I like their layout but w/e their service sucks in my area.

What are you recommendations?

Thanks,
-Richie

Buy "GDE" in the app market, first of all, its awesome. After that if you like the Hero I suggest getting the "Weather Widget - Donate" app from Android Apps in the market. That gives you the great looking clock from the Hero. I really cant stress how important the GDE program is though. My Wife has this phone and it was the most awkward and horrid thing to use until I installed GDE. Now the phone runs MUCH better and has a far more capable and slick interface that is themeable.

The last thing I recommend you need for that phone is a well configured "Taskiller" (with only one k), a free program from the market. The phone has a weird issue with running unnecessary apps in the background from time-to-time and over the course of a day can start to bog down the phone. "Taskiller" can kill all the apps on your phone, clearing up lots of memory and making your phone run alot smoother. You just have to make sure you go into the program and tell it to "Ignore" the apps you want to keep running, like "GDE" and the "Weather Widget" app, and since this phone has loads of memory you are free to be generous with the apps it "Ignores". Then simply put the widget on one of your desktops and any time you feel the phone slowing just tap that button.

I think I will make a video showing what I did with my wife's phone.

Upvote 0
I for one like the TouchWiz look, but hey everyone has their own tastes and I think thats a strong point of Android that one is able to change this. Here are some apps I think you should get or at least try out

Google Sky Map - cus is cool
Listen - great way to get podcasts, I use it to keep up with CarTalk(comes out on npr, very funny show)
Shazam - hear a song on the radio and want to know what it is, use this
ShopSavvy - Find a product, scan its barcode to lookup prices, and make lists. I use it to keep track of books I find in the store I may want later.

But everyone's needs/wants are different so I'd say browse the Market and see what catches your eye.

Oh and unless you are a true geek able to walk that dark path, I'd say stay away from root-ing/flashing/etc. No faster way to screw things up and leave you with an expensive brick you cant take back to Tmo. Too many times have I seen someone cry out on the forums saying they need help. If you cant understand the instructions and note the warnings, stay away.

And have a happy day. :p

Upvote 0
I was lounging on GDE an panda-home because i liked the touchwiz interface but decided to try panda-home and then GDE because everyones raving about them, an i have to say i really like panda-home, and i now love GDE. GDE is like touchwiz and stock android rolled into one, you get the best of both. Panda-homes really good to if you want more of the stock android feel with bonuses.

I really advise replacing the keyboard for the htc keyboard, handcent sms is a great messaging app, linda file manager is great as well, if your into facebook bloo is at the moment the best, ringdroid and tonepicker are good if you want to make your own ringtones, and fml widget or app are always good for a laugh if your into it. That should get you started. Have fun and "to the world of tomorrow"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones