Just read a review about the Incredible lacking in quality wireless communications...General

Last Updated:

1. CrystalClear

CrystalClear Member This Topic's Starter

and now I wonder if sometimes I don't get caught up in the hype of all the features and cool stuff and forget that first and foremost this is a phone and expect that part to be good, too.

I'd love to hear opinions from those who already have received the Incredible as far as call quality and reception issues. Hoping to hear good news because I really want this!

Yes, I will keep in mind that this review was only the opinion of the reviewer and it is actually nice to hear the bad with the good to help make an informed decision.

Advertisement
  2. DustinF00

DustinF00 Well-Known Member

Uhmm... can you provide a link to this review ?

The phone isn't even released yet...kinda hard to tell from some samples

3. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq Well-Known Member

All of the reviews I've read have claimed that the call quality was superb and they had no issues with it (CNET, Engadget, Gizmodo, etc.). It just sounds like you read a bad review in general. There will also be contradicting reviews which is why you should never look at one or two reviews, try to look at as many as possible.

4. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

I've read a lot of reviews, and most have said that it's one of the best call quality phones out.. especially android ones... So please provide a link too. I'd like to see the source..

5. Trojita

Trojita Active Member

Droid Incredible review -- Engadget

6. CrystalClear

CrystalClear Member This Topic's Starter

It is at: Verizon`s Droid Incredible Tries to Live Up to Its Name - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

Yes, I'm glad there are good reviews to balance it out but it's always so hard to know what to trust. I know I over-think a lot of things but I guess I'm just cautious, which isn't always a good idea. :eek:

If it can just provide me with calls without that cutting-out sound you hear with some phones, the quality is good enough for me, so that is my main question about the call quality and reception being strong or not.

7. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone who is partial to something other than the Incredible (or androids). I'm sure it's excellent considering all of the big cell phone reviewers said it was great.

8. Flaring Afro

9. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

There's been one review that said the signal bounced, and a couple reports from early users. Almost everything else has been positive including more then a few reports specifically saying its good or great...

There haven't been NEAR enough phones out in the "wild" yet to gauge something like this...

from what IS out there I would says its fine...

10. andrew53517

I trust engadget before that website my friend...

11. scarshapedstar

scarshapedstar Well-Known Member

All I've read is that some people said it showed fewer signal bars than the Droid in some places. It's tough to say why this would be, whether it's universal, or whether it actually impacts call quality.

12. andrew53517

Phone
    Wait, a phone that actually makes clear and crisp phone calls? In 2010? You must be kidding me. But we’re not, the HTC Droid Incredible coupled with Verizon’s famous-for-kicking-in-the-other-carrier’s-teeth network makes for a really pleasant adventure. Phone calls were loud and clear on both the earpiece and also when using the speakerphone capability. Callers heard us just fine, and we haven’t dropped a single call while testing the phone.
    Unfortunately, there is one area of the device’s phone performance that is a little troubling, though probably not the end of the world. We noticed the Incredible gets a slightly lower signal than the Motorola DROID and other Verizon Wireless phones. The Incredible seems to be a bit finicky bouncing around from 2 bars to say 4 bars randomly while other devices are steadily on 4 or 5 bars consistently. We are not sure if the signal is just not being represented properly due to a software issue or the phone is actually receiving a lower signal due to other reasons.

HTC Droid Incredible for Verizon Wireless review Boy Genius Report

Boygeniusrepot.com

Don't worry about the bars jumping up and down, if there's a problem then verizon will send out and OTA ASAP to fix that. Besides, many phones have that problem and it's not a big deal.

scarshapedstar likes this.
  13. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

eweek.. more like Eweak.

I have never heard of them.

and all the "real" tech sites have given the call quality and the signal strength a positive review.

Looks like a wannabe tech site trying to make a name for itself.

14. Flaring Afro

Signal bars mean nothing from phone to phone. Ones with less can have better signal than ones with more. ;)

15. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

Its a very wierd article with several statements that make no sense, including:

Which way is it. Is it poor or on par with other devices? They seem to think 3G is different than CDMA. With all of Verizon's coverage supporting 3G, there shouldn't be much distinction.

cosmicreality and Flaring Afro like this.
  16. gajenn108

gajenn108 Member

I've read in a few reviews there is an issue with call reception,which has kept me from pre ordering the Incredible even though I Really want it.. check out the comments on Breons review on droiddog.com for one,there are a few others that have brought this up..if u live in a large city with great coverage it probably isnt an issue..if however u live in a marginal area like I do it could be a deal breaker..hope if it is an issue that its software and not hardware related as software can be fixed. some companies most definately make phones with better internal antenna's..hope htc got that part right..

17. marcelob

marcelob Well-Known Member

That site is probably as credible as those pop-ups that ask you to claim your free 80' luxury yacht.

18. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

Been using the phone for 6 days and can say there is no problem with reception or call quality. In fact, side by side comparison with my Droid shows the same signal level on both phones.

Order without hesitation on this falsely perceived issue.

19. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you were subjected to that horribly biased review. It's really a shame that jealous Apple nerds feel the need to write these terrible reviews to keep their geek-egos up. I really hate these kids with a passion.

20. XxICEMAN720xX

XxICEMAN720xX Well-Known Member

haha good man, good man

21. jmacca

jmacca Member

I just noted the signal strength on my WinMo phone running Android 1.6 (donut) and will compare to the Incredible when I receive it this week. -93 dBm 10 asu on the WinMo. (Verizon XV6800)

22. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Please know that signal bars do NOT equal signal reception. There have been issues on previous devices where signal bar depiction of receive signal was incorrect.

The ONLY way to test signal is using debug mode on the device.

23. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Yeah you need a db reading to know the real signal strength, the bars on the top aren't a very good indicator on android os 2.1. I had an eris running 1.5 a couple weeks ago. With 1.5 i had 3 bars out of 4 in the chair i am sitting in right now. After rooting the phone and upgrading to 2.1 i only had 2 bars. However when reading the db strength it was exactly the same. Call quality was no different and data transfer rates were the same on 3g, no difference what-so-ever. I think either 1.5 or 2.1 reported the strength incorrectly when displaying the bars at the top of the screen.

24. gleek

gleek Member

eWeek has been around forever and are a Ziff Davis publication. That being said I wouldn't trust half the things they publish. It isn't uncommon for their reviews to be heavily "funded"

25. kenyu73

kenyu73 Well-Known Member

download "Real Signal" from the market... my little pet project because of the DI signal bar issue.