• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just Received The New Nexus S On AT&T

Ok, well I'm back from the Atrix. Got a black i9020a from Amazon. $563 shipped. I love it so far...I guess I didn't like the white color, because I suddenly like the black version.

Even after a forced checkin, I still don't get the 2.3.4 update...hmmm...

You have to manually load it. I did yesterday on my white Nexus. There is a thread at XDA. [GUIDE] 2.3.4 OTA - Variants and their links - i9020A ARRIVED! - xda-developers Download the one for the i9020A and you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok, went to 2.3.4 via manual update. I have one glaring problem, though. My 3g speeds on AT&T are crap. Like 300 - 400 kbs crap. It crawls. Upload is 100 kbs on average.

I went to the AT&T store and was surprised the guy helped me (since it's a Canadian phone). I came from the Atrix and had some sort of 4g code on my account. He went into my account, did something, and we tried the speed test again. It was like 1200 kbs. I got excited, even though the upload was like 200 kbs. We ran like 5 more speed tests and my speeds were back to the 300-400 kbs speeds . Confirmed 3g, etc, et. al.

So, for those of you in the US with a Samsung Nexus S I9020A, how fast are your downloads? Did you do anything special with the access points? Did you have AT&T do anything special on your account? I really want to like / keep this phone, but as of now, the speeds and data connection reliability is unacceptable.

Also, I drained my battery in 4 hours today. 100% to 0 in 4 hrs. My secondary battery drained in 5 hrs. All with max bars and wifi / bluetooth turned off. Before you suggest my NS is defective, this is my second one.

Any help out there from other AT&T users?

Upvote 0
So, for those of you in the US with a Samsung Nexus S I9020A, how fast are your downloads? Did you do anything special with the access points? Did you have AT&T do anything special on your account? I really want to like / keep this phone, but as of now, the speeds and data connection reliability is unacceptable.

Also, I drained my battery in 4 hours today. 100% to 0 in 4 hrs. My secondary battery drained in 5 hrs. All with max bars and wifi / bluetooth turned off. Before you suggest my NS is defective, this is my second one.

Any help out there from other AT&T users?

Download speeds average between 2-3mps (New Jersey). My battery lasts 12 hours with very heavy usage (not really good, IMHO). If your battery is lasting only 4 to 5 hours, you have a problem (I know that you know). I would attempt a hard reset and go from there.

Upvote 0
Download speeds average between 2-3mps (New Jersey). My battery lasts 12 hours with very heavy usage (not really good, IMHO). If your battery is lasting only 4 to 5 hours, you have a problem (I know that you know). I would attempt a hard reset and go from there.

Thanks. Would you mind posting your access point name details? I believe this is my issue, as it's grabbing the wrong information from my sim.

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names

Click on the listed APN and list the details of each box.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I am getting 1930kbps download with Docomo Pacific on Guam with a i9020A.

Noted I was having some problems after the 2.3.4 upgrade. I can't get anything higher than 123kbps.

Phone had dummy Cingular APNs which won't work on the island. I switched to that to shut off the Docomo APN and closed the 3G, then switch back to the Docomo APN again. Now I'm getting nearly 2mbps (the fastest they would allow here).

Upvote 0
Is the negrielectronics site a reliable one for purchasing an AT&T compatible Nexus S phone?

Negri Electronics is not a reliable site to purchase unlock phones. He lied to some users in this thread claiming the GT-I9020A has full US warranty. It doesn't

If I were you I would get it from Amazon like I did. I got mine for $499 and it should be here by tomorrow. If you have any problems with your nexus s, Amazon will gladly take it back with in the 30 day return period.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...w?ie=UTF8&qid=1307283345&sr=8-1&condition=new

edit- Amazon has raised the price now to $535. Still cheaper the Negri

Upvote 0
AT&T is like most major (read Verizon, etc) carriers, in that it has automated software that scans their lines 24/7 for all phones operating on their system.

It compares the unique identifier number (IMEI) from your phone with it's database of smartphones from all manufacturers. Once that's done and your phone is identified, they send you a text explaining they will be adding a data plan on because it's required.

That's what happens now since so many people cheated the system in the past.

Here is my suggestion.

1) The moment you get your phone unboxed, call AT&T, explain you are going to begin using it on your line, and give them the IMEI or other numbers they may ask for.

They are clearly listed on the label of the box which is far easier than finding them on a phone you are unfamiliar with.

2) Their least expensive data plan is $15 per month, so be prepared to ad that to your plan.

3) The reason I'm suggesting you do this immediately, is that once they have your IMEI they will have the AT&T cellular system push some updates to your phone which will insure the best voice clarity and connectivity.

Since you cannot avoid this, it is better to tell them up front, than to wait for the system to "discover you've changed phones on your line".

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

(by the way I really like my Nexus S :) )

only if you're on contract. They can't make you have anything unless you're under contract...

Upvote 0
only if you're on contract. They can't make you have anything unless you're under contract...

It doesn't matter if you're on contract or not, you'll need the smartphone data plan if you want data on the Nexus S. You always have the choice not to have data, but you run the risk of expensive overages.

If you're on a contract, it really doesn't protect you in any way. Contracts are for the protection of the carriers. They can still change just about anything they want, as long as they give you due notice and the option to opt out of the contract.

Being out of contract is actually better because carriers still have to give you due notice for any changes, but you have a much better position to threaten to take your business elsewhere.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter if you're on contract or not, you'll need the smartphone data plan if you want data on the Nexus S. You always have the choice not to have data, but you run the risk of expensive overages.

If you're on a contract, it really doesn't protect you in any way. Contracts are for the protection of the carriers. They can still change just about anything they want, as long as they give you due notice and the option to opt out of the contract.

Being out of contract is actually better because carriers still have to give you due notice for any changes, but you have a much better position to threaten to take your business elsewhere.

i agree.

Upvote 0
I'm a long time AT&T customer with a very good relationship with the store manager of my local AT&T. Unofficially, they are expecting the SGS II and the Nexus S to come into their inventory at about the same time. I cant' really share more than that at this time, other than to say it could be very soon.

Hey, I was just wondering if you might have heard anything new about this? I've been thinking about buying the Nexus S from Negri, but if AT&T is going to release it that'd be awesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones