• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Just reporting my experience with different hardware versions...

The Dorian

Jun 13, 2010
My original Evo was preordered at Best Buy a week prior to the release, and I recieved it a week after the release. It was hardware version 0003. It had the grounding issue which was fixed with the OTA update. It had slight screen seperation, had random rebooting/freezing issues, and a rattly (is that a word?) earpiece.

My friends Evo he got the morning of the release from a Sprint store. It was hardware version 0002. He also had the grounding issue which was fixed with the OTA update, but other than that had a perfect version 0002 Evo.

Today (a day after the final straw, a random freeze which required a battery pull to fix), I went to Best Buy, told them of my Evo's issues, and asked for an exchange. The lady informed me that they were out of stock, but then went to tell the GM about my issue. She came back and gave me an Evo they were holding for someone else. :D :D :D

This new Evo is hardware version 0003 just like my original 0003, but is flawless just like my friend's 0002.

Conclusion: There is no consistant difference between the current hardware versions.

Just wanted to clear that up because it seems that people think 0003 is the magic build for some reason, and it just bugs me everytime I see someone so misinformed.

I think your statement is a fallacy based on generalization. You're cannot draw a broad conclusion from one single sample. Thanks for playing and please stop passinge misinformation.

:thinking: You must be new here. And by here I don't mean this forum. Drawing broad conclusions based on one's own limited experience is the way things are done on teh interwebs. Read any tech forum, blog, etc. and you will see any number of posts on the awesomeness/suckage of devices based on "what happened to me and my friend". Get used to it.

Thank you for playing and please pick up your complimentary bottle of chill pills on the way out.

Upvote 0
heh, he's right. there really isn't any major consistency between HW versions.
where am i drawing my conclusion, you might ask? from this forum.
my 0002 sucks
my 0002 is perfect
my 0003 sucks
my 0003 is perfect...

i see that constantly here lol and people aren't lying. these things are being mass produced so there are bound to be good and bad ones for both hw versions. compare it to a monitor, a gcard, mobo, etc etc. sometimes there's good eggs, and sometimes there's bad ones. mass production certainly isn't flawless.

Upvote 0
I got my Evo on release day and it was HW 003. I never had any of the grounding issues, haven't noticed anything as far as screen separation, or some of the other issues. Maybe I just got lucky. Still stoked about my Evo!!!! Had fun at a family picnic this past weekend. There were a couple new iphone 4's floating around getting shown off and I got to do the "oh yeah? Mine does that too!!!" :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones