Just rooted few questions

Last Updated:

1. papa_smurf49319

papa_smurf49319 Member This Topic's Starter

Girlfreinds brother just rooted my epic 4g using the one click method. We had a few problems and it took a few trys. At one time i had to pull battery out and reboot phone. I instantly couldnt download apps from the marketplace and my phones service seemed to jump all over the place while online and trying to download. I ended up with superuser being the only app i noticed that was in addition to what was on there ( he was saying something about having busy something or other on there but it isnt). I then downloaded wifi tether and the first one didnt work, but after looking for the updated one online the tethering seems to work fine. Also all of a sudden i can download just fine from the marketplace.

So basically my questions are could rooting have affected my service? What should i notice in my apps after rooting and what abilitys should i have? Also any must do roms or things to do?

Thanks

Cody

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

You'll need busybox (that's what he was referring to). Superuser will be the only app that shows up as "new" IIRC.

Logging into Talk should resolve the download issues.

Rooting, in general will not have any adverse reactions to your service.

As far as ROMs go, it's up to you to decide which ROM (if any) is best for you. Personally, I root to remove the Sprint Bloatware.

papa_smurf49319 likes this.
  3. papa_smurf49319

sorry for being such a noob, and i really do appreciate the fast response! But how do i go about getting busybox and whats this about logging into talk?

Thanks again

Cody

4. Kelmar

Busybox is an app on the market.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/busybox/stericson.busybox

Sometimes when doing a reset or rooting apps don't want to download correctly. Logging into the "Talk" app sometimes fixes the connection and allows apps to redownload correctly.

5. papa_smurf49319

okay looks like im logged into talk, and am downloading busybox via marketplace on epic right now. What will busybox allow me to do?

Thanks again for the fast replys

Cody

6. papa_smurf49319

okay i started busybox and its telling me to make a backup how do i go about that? Also its saying that i must have certain things done to the phone before installing

thanks

7. Kelmar

Busybox is usually needed for some root stuff to work.

8. papa_smurf49319

is there a guide on how to backup the epic?

9. Kelmar

Good question.

10. papa_smurf49319

having problems installing clockwork with another forums instructions. Also my only internet connection to the laptop is my tethered connection from the phone, is this safe to do while installing clockwork? Anyone know of a good guide that is guranteed to work?

Cody

11. papa_smurf49319

okay got clockwork installed i think, it shows up in rom manager. Had another instance with the marketplace not downloading, and google talk not signing in but all of a sudden i tried it and it signed in. Tried to make a backup in rom manager and the phone booted into the program but failed and gave me options such as clear cache, factory reset, reboot, and i had no idea how to enter any of them. so it cleared cache and then rebooted.

Any help?

12. Kelmar

It should have booted into the recovery screen with green lettering, is that what you saw? I don't use ROM manager so I'm assuming it's the same.

13. chino0131

chino0131 Active Member

Try this site as a reference. Read the first post all the way through and it should give you an idea on everything. If not, go to general section and ask questions. Some people arent too helpful, so just deal with them. There are plenty that will help.

[GUIDE][10/5/10]Comprehensive Guide to Rooting, Flashing, and Android Basics! - xda-developers

Id recommend reading about what you're doing before messing around with anything and hitting buttons.

14. chino0131

chino0131 Active Member

If you've rooted your phone correctly, power off your phone, enter recovery by holding the volume down button, camera button and power button all at the same time until you enter recovery. You should see a screen that says "Clockwork MOD Recovery" at the top and options as follows:

-Reboot system now
    -apply sdcard:update.zip
    -wipe data/factory reset
    -wipe cache partition
    -install zip from sdcard
    -backup and restore
    --mounts and storage
    -advanced
    -*****Go Back*****

Go down to back up and restore and hit the camera button. You'll then see an option to back up, restore, advanced restore, and go back. Highlight "Back up" and hit the camera button.

This will back up your system info as it currently is. If you flash a ROM and want to go back to where you are follow the same steps but use "restore" instead of "backup". Once you are done backing up your phone or restoring, go back until you see Reboot System and hit that.

If you are asking how to bak up apps, use Titanium Backup or Astro File Manager. I prefer Titanium since for games like Angry Birds you can save your App data so you can start off where you left off. I hope that helps, but as I previously said in my post above, you should read what youre doing. Knowledge will be your best friend here and ensure you dont mess anything up on your phone.