Just rooted! (manually) - Now, how to install DamageControl 2.08?

Last Updated:

1. aplacetorest

aplacetorest Member This Topic's Starter

How do i install this? I heard something about wiping Dalvik? WTF IS THAT!? lol. What do i have to do?

Advertisement
    DFRESH likes this.
  2. Squiggy

Squiggy Well-Known Member

3. avacomputers

avacomputers Well-Known Member

If you follow the guide then there is nothing to it.

4. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

download the ZIP ..place it on root of SDcard ...go into recovery .."update" and that's it...

5. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Well-Known Member

It is pretty simple to install a custom ROM once rooted, but if you are not really familiar with everything you should probably do a little reading before diving in. I'll suggest XDA and give you the links you might want to have for this and anything you do in the future with your phone. :)

The wiki:
    XDADeveloperWiki - CDMA Hero ROMs

The Sticky:
    [REF] ALL ROMS | ROOTING | FAQ's | STICKIES | POSTING RULES - Read before posting - xda-developers

The forum:
    HTC Hero CDMA - xda-developers

Good Luck, and welcome to the club!

6. aplacetorest

thank you all for the help! Im about to do it! But suppose something goes wrong, and i shit out of luck and the phone is dead?

7. aplacetorest

oh score! So i dont have to delete my phone?

8. xbrokdikdogx

Probably not. Anything is possible and if you either have really bad luck or are really destructive and find a way to totally mess it up, you will be fine. Just read up a little before doing it if for no other reason than to give yourself some confidence that you know what you are doing.

9. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i think.. 95% of all upgrades go well

of the ones that have issues.. 95% of them have a way out of it.

you are going from 1.5 to 2.1
    you will have to Wipe: dalvik and data
    this will delete all your data!

do a nandroid backup first, and you can get it all back if you dont like what you did.

10. aplacetorest

Im just scared shitless cause i read something about a PRL problem and they couldnt make calls and they had to get a MSL or something and call sprint for it and all that. Ugh SO MUCH DRAMA! lol

11. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

these problems were with an leak from eris. it had something in it that was not compatible with our hero. when we found out, it was too late... a lot of us had issues because we had a particular firmware. it is now done and over with. we have a good leak for the hero.

you should not worry about these issues. just stay away from the old 2.1 ROMs..( before April 2010 release). DC 2.07 and higher dont have these issue. Just pick only brand new releases and you SHOULD be ok.

DO A NANDROID BACKUP and you can relax knowing you can jump back to your current condition.

12. aplacetorest

i Nandroid'ed and i have DC 2.08. Good to go? I wiped Davlik and everything else

13. aplacetorest

it wont wipe dalvik actually, says to do it adb or something

14. xbrokdikdogx

Yes, good to go. One thing to consider though is that it appears that we may have to compromise on some things until we get the final release. I have seen a couple ROMs now where the builder of them has to create 2 or more versions of the ROM since there are some things that will work in one that won't in another.

Kinda confusing I know but here is an example of what I mean, and I think you will see it isn't THAT big a deal.

In PureHero 1.0, which is a nice looking ROM by the way, there are two versions. A maps version and a live wallpaper version. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but it sounds like the underlying necessities for live wallpapers in the default launcher on this ROM may break maps, which I assume to be google maps. So if you want one, you can't have the other I guess. Personally, this isn't an issue to me since I have live wallpapers on my phone and I think that they are a nice idea but completely unnecessary and not really ready to be considered anything but a novelty at this point. I just thought I would let anyone who is new to flashing customized ROMs know that there usually isn't a simple "what's the best ROM" answer that applies to everyone. The best thing to do once you are rooted and understand the restore and backup process is to get familiar with the different ROMs by reading through some of the info on each one. XDA is really a wonderful and necessary resource if you want to learn about this stuff. It is really important to know what you are doing as there are some ROMs that are experimental and may cause problems, like the new hero ROM based off the GSM My Touch 3g Slide.

15. aplacetorest

i flashed damage control 2.08. mobile network doesnt work, it wont let me set up my gmail or facebook

16. xbrokdikdogx

Did you wipe everything from inside recovery? try reflashing. You probably missed a step somewhere.

Edit: If you are still having problems after wiping and reflashing, check out the thread on xda as that is going to be your best bet for info on that ROM.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=656690