• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just rooted my Defy

Used z4root, worked like a charm. Running a nice tether now, but I am trying top get rid of all these stock apps that cam along with it. Not trying to remove Blur, I actualy like it, but the Blockbuster, the hidden music apps, Kindle, etc... Anyone know a free app or way to get in and get them out after the phone has been rooted?

Sorry, still on the noob stages of rooting.:thinking:

Care to post a tutorial for those of us new to dealing with motorola... How likely is it that we will be able to totally remove motoblur

Well... Here is how I did it. You either can do the manual root, which I would probably screw up. JBoogie over at modmymobile AMONG MANY OTHER PLACES went to town on it and did an excellent job. So thanks to him. The way I did it though was using the app z4root, it's a one button step. You will be able to find in on appbrain market, but it wonn't find as google is not too fond of it. So search google for the zip file. You can either connect your phone to the cpu and drag it to the phone get the app "Awesome drop" and then go to the website on you cpu, you can drop the file from there and it will appear on your phone.

Once done, open the z4root app and it will install as a normal app. Once installed, run the app and hit the one button root. It takes a few minutes, you can confirm it was complete by seeing superuser" in your app menu. Once done, install Titanium backup ( I used free) or Root explorer ( only a pay version). These will allow you to delete all the bloatware.

I have not attempted to delete the Blur, but I have heard it is very hard to brick this phone. I still will not be attempting it, instead I removed a lot of the things i never used. Let me know if this helps, if not maybe i can help a little more.

Reactions: bunnybash
Upvote 0
Used z4root, worked like a charm. Running a nice tether now, but I am trying top get rid of all these stock apps that cam along with it. Not trying to remove Blur, I actualy like it, but the Blockbuster, the hidden music apps, Kindle, etc... Anyone know a free app or way to get in and get them out after the phone has been rooted?

Sorry, still on the noob stages of rooting.:thinking:

i just rooted my motorola defy too and found out about the app "SystemApp Remover" it let me delete those apps like block buster amazon , etc. It cost $1.00 in he app market but if you get applanet you can get it for free.

Upvote 0
This is indeed good news that the defy can be rooted. If defy didn't have the reported earpiece crackling issue, I'd bought the defy already.

Apparently that's just the luck of the draw, I haven't had one problem with my earpiece. I am sure you can always contact Moto and let them know the issue in hopes of getting an exchange. This "low end" droid is really great, it isn't "low end" at all. Compared to my my friends My Touch 4g and my other friends Galaxy, I am happy to own this one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones