Just rooted on 2.2....a couple of questions.

Last Updated:

1. SoupAssassin

SoupAssassin Active Member This Topic's Starter

S-Off because I never rooted with 2.1. Process went smooth as butter, little dialogue box tells you how awesome everything is going (literally) while the phone reboots like mad. I was surprised to find you don't actually need the Android SDK, which is odd because most guides deem in necessary. I had it "installed", but it was not yet done downloading all of the revision files when I started the unrevoked process by accident. Props to unrevoked and all of their work. As a coder myself it always amazes me to see people doing so much work for next to nothing but others benefit. Coding is an absolute hell on Earth, managing to be both complex and utterly BORING at the same time; so seriously, thanks for making this tool better and better.

Anywho, the questions....

1. I have an S-Off file on my sd card now. I am assuming it is a verifying byproduct of the process, and is meant to be deleted. It doesn't seem to contain any information worth keeping around; but I thought I should check since I am pretty new to the world of Android rooting.

2. As far as I understand root is root, and once the process is complete there is no reason to "update" the root or HBOOT with newer revisions of unrevoked unless another OTA releases. However clockwork mod seems to be a much more in depth tool capable of a lot of things; so is there reason to update clockwork with newer revisions? If so, is it an easy process such as an update file, or does it require re-doing the root process?

3. I noticed that both HBOOT and clockwork offer factory reset/formatting utilities. I tried both of them, as well as doing another normal factory reset within Android; and there appears to be no difference except the Android utility offers the option to format the internal 8GB's as well as the phone memory. Any reason to use the HBOOT or clockwork utilities as opposed to the normal method?

Bonus Questions I'm To Lazy To Look For But Only Take A Second To Answer:

Does installing a new ROM format the phone, or do apps stay?

After installing a new ROM, is there a way to go back to stock or do you need to have a nandroid backup ready first?

Advertisement
  2. kkl1993

kkl1993 Well-Known Member

well people recommend that you factory reset your phone when you install a ROM, but with FROYO most of the apps are already linked to ur Gmail. But download Titanium Backup and backup all your apps, or use Appbrain

3. MaGaHi

MaGaHi Member

1. I have an S-Off file on my sd card now. I am assuming it is a verifying byproduct of the process, and is meant to be deleted. It doesn't seem to contain any information worth keeping around; but I thought I should check since I am pretty new to the world of Android rooting.

I keep a copy of s-off and s-on on my computer only. Never know when you need to send the phone back.

2. As far as I understand root is root, and once the process is complete there is no reason to "update" the root or HBOOT with newer revisions of unrevoked unless another OTA releases. However clockwork mod seems to be a much more in depth tool capable of a lot of things; so is there reason to update clockwork with newer revisions? If so, is it an easy process such as an update file, or does it require re-doing the root process?

Keeping clockwork up to date is probably better for us the end user. I always keep mine up to date

3. I noticed that both HBOOT and clockwork offer factory reset/formatting utilities. I tried both of them, as well as doing another normal factory reset within Android; and there appears to be no difference except the Android utility offers the option to format the internal 8GB's as well as the phone memory. Any reason to use the HBOOT or clockwork utilities as opposed to the normal method?

Unless otherwise noted I use clockwork for everything-

Just my feedback and i've tried every ROM thats available so I've wiped and reset numerous times. Clockwork is definitely your friend when u screw around alot.

4. SoupAssassin

SoupAssassin Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the answers. So how do you keep clockwork up to date? Does that mean re-doing root every time?

Also kind of random question. After root and reformat, my phone always has 715mb/748mb in phone memory right after the reset. From what I remember even pre 2.2 this was normal, but just want to check anyway. I have removed a lot of the bloatware but not permanently, just moved it.