Just Rooted, SetCPU

Last Updated:

1. namoroman

namoroman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I searched the forums for something like this, sorry if I missed it somehow.

I recently rooted my EVO (Tonight!) I downloaded SetCPU so the processor will run faster when its awake and slower when its not. I can't for the life of me seem to figure out how the heck to get it to overclock. I don't see the word anywhere in the app, and the slide bar only goes up to 998 mhz (my Evo's max?) Is it in the other menu settings I don't quite get? Any help would be great.

Advertisement
  2. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Are you running a custom kernel? If not, you will not be able to overclock and you can only underclock if you disable perflock through the SetCPU menu.

3. namoroman

Ah, that explains it. I'm just running a stock ROM & kernel for now. Perflock is disabled. Thanks for the answer!

4. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

If you are running the stock kernel, you must disable perflock after each boot in order for SetCPU to work properly.

5. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

You also have to press menu and go to device selection and use the auto detect speeds, and that will give you more options to work from.

6. namoroman

Thanks for the advice. Am I correct in thinking using SetCPU to underclock when the screen is off helps increase battery life?

7. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

If you are on a stock kernel, yes. If you are using a kernel with HAVS implemented, no.