• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just rooted tuesday how do i update?

jc123

Sep 19, 2010
Please go easy on me i just got my evo tuesday and rooted it but from what im reading to get the update i have to unroot then apply it then re root or something?

it took me over an hour to root with all those things you have to do in recovery mode or whatever do i have to do all this again to get the update?

i suggest you look into backing up your apps.

options:
mybackup - free for the first 30 days. buying the pro version isn't a bad idea
titanium back up - free
appbrain - you can sync all your apps with app brain. even if you don't want to use it, its a good idea to have it sync'd. if any of your back ups ever fail you can just download the appbrain app and re-download all your apps. check it out at appbrain.com

you should get used to flashing things from recovery and resetting all your settings. its part of being rooted with the htc evo. we have been getting tons of updates. and if you take an over the air update you will lose your root.

you can always make a nandroid back up and quickly restore it if you want your phone back the way it was before.

Upvote 0
not exactly, if you do a full nandroid back up it will revert you back to your old rom.

in recovery if you select advanced (this may be under nandroid i forget) the you can select to just restore data. i have never tried this so i don't know how this will work out. if you are coming from a stock rooted 2.2 rom and going to the new update 2.2 rom then doing the advanced nandroid restore should work.

coming from say a 2.1 rom to a 2.2 rom i would not use nandroid advanced to only restore data.

the easiest thing to do just in case you lose your apps is to sync with appbrain. you just download the app from the market, sign in with your google gmail account, same for appbrain.com and if needed you can use this to reload your apps.

Reactions: jc123
Upvote 0
FWIW: when I flashed this ROM, I did a nandroid backup, but I did not do a factory reset.

After I flashed the ROM, all my apps and settings were still there. The only things I lost were my filesystem customizations: bash shell, smooth sense framework icons, bootanimation, etc. So... I think this ROM is ok to flash without wiping first, but it never hurts to do so.

Upvote 0
FWIW: when I flashed this ROM, I did a nandroid backup, but I did not do a factory reset.

After I flashed the ROM, all my apps and settings were still there. The only things I lost were my filesystem customizations: bash shell, smooth sense framework icons, bootanimation, etc. So... I think this ROM is ok to flash without wiping first, but it never hurts to do so.

You went from a stock rooted rom to a stock rooted rom, but alot of people are asking...

They rooted their stock rom, is there a difference from that to the stock rooted rom?

Upvote 0
You went from a stock rooted rom to a stock rooted rom, but alot of people are asking...

They rooted their stock rom, is there a difference from that to the stock rooted rom?

Not always the same, but practically identical. The ROM made for root users typically includes some convenience packages along with superuser, like busybox, and it may be deodexed. It really depends on the dev that creates the rooted ROM. Typically after rooting your phone, you stay with your stock odexed ROM + superuser. Most ppl don't use busybox, so no one notices if it's there or not. deodexed ROMs make applying themes a cinch, but if you're not doing that, you won't notice any difference either.

But once anyone is rooted, they can flash whatever they want to get whatever they want. So in the end, it doesn't really matter if a rooted phone's ROM is the same as flashing a ROM made for existing root users.

Reactions: steve053
Upvote 0
Not always the same, but practically identical. The ROM made for root users typically includes some convenience packages along with superuser, like busybox, and it may be deodexed. It really depends on the dev that creates the rooted ROM. Typically after rooting your phone, you stay with your stock odexed ROM + superuser. Most ppl don't use busybox, so no one notices if it's there or not. deodexed ROMs make applying themes a cinch, but if you're not doing that, you won't notice any difference either.

But once anyone is rooted, they can flash whatever they want to get whatever they want. So in the end, it doesn't really matter if a rooted phone's ROM is the same as flashing a ROM made for existing root users.

I am using fresh and have no plans on changing, what i was trying to say is that since yours is the same rom dev when you flash your rom does it work as a update? When they have a stock rom and root it, would the roms act the same, i would think a wipe would be necessary, but i dont want to tell wrong info, so i am asking you , if you root a stock rom would you have to do a full wipe to flash a rooted stock rom?

Upvote 0
I am using fresh and have no plans on changing, what i was trying to say is that since yours is the same rom dev when you flash your rom does it work as a update? When they have a stock rom and root it, would the roms act the same, i would think a wipe would be necessary, but i dont want to tell wrong info, so i am asking you , if you root a stock rom would you have to do a full wipe to flash a rooted stock rom?

Stock OTA updates are designed to upgrade around your existing apps and settings. People would get seriously pissed if they lost all their apps and settings every time there was an update.

But stock OTA updates are not designed to upgrade around any modifications you've made outside of userspace. That means those pesky bloatware will be back. The bootanimation will go back to stock. Any shells or installations you made to linux will be lost.

A rooted version of a stock update ROM should work exactly the same way,assuming your existing OS is based on stock. Userspace data is preserved, and everything else linux is wiped to stock. This was true with Froyo (although it's been shown that a wipe was necessary to eliminated unintended problems); it was true with 3.28, and it's true with 3.29. You technically don't need to wipe to apply them if you're already running a stock ROM.

It's only with non-stock custom ROMs that you need to wipe. Because these are basically custom operating systems, so there's no guarantee that the existing userspace data is compatible with it, since it was generated with a different OS.

Reactions: steve053 and wake69
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones