• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just rooted, which roms are most worthwhile?

Joehunni

Android Expert
May 27, 2010
Texas
I've had my Evo for awhile but have only just gotten around to rooting it. I know there are probably a bagillion of these threads but frankly, I don't feel like searching/reading them all. I am open to both Sense and AOSP roms. I really love the idea of having Gingerbread running on my Evo but there are already several of those roms too lol. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

for sense mikfroyo if great is you like speed and function, Myn's warm 2.2 if you like style.
For AOSP I'm digging Evervolv beta it's a gingerbread rom, alot of folks like cynaogenmod 6 as well. MIUI is really cool also, but does have some things lacking at the moment, although they just released a new version so maybe they added what was missing

Upvote 0
I'll have to do some research on MikFroYo. I'm getting frustrated with this phone and really starting to wish I had stuck with the GS3. Proximity sensor issues, slow to respond at times, problems connecting to open WiFi connections at new places (takes forever to bring up the sign in page if they have one), bad call quality (My friend is always complaining she can't understand me)...there's probably a few others but these are the worst.

I haven't rooted yet as I was hoping to have a phone that works well without hacking it and possibly voiding warranty (especially since I bought BB's Black Tie coverage). Is MikFroYo based on JB or ICS?

Upvote 0
I'll have to do some research on MikFroYo. I'm getting frustrated with this phone and really starting to wish I had stuck with the GS3. Proximity sensor issues, slow to respond at times, problems connecting to open WiFi connections at new places (takes forever to bring up the sign in page if they have one), bad call quality (My friend is always complaining she can't understand me)...there's probably a few others but these are the worst.

I haven't rooted yet as I was hoping to have a phone that works well without hacking it and possibly voiding warranty (especially since I bought BB's Black Tie coverage). Is MikFroYo based on JB or ICS?
This post is 2 years old, lol.

There are actually MANY MANY newer, better ROMs available right now. You'll want to check the sticky thread for a current list.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/618281-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-og-evo.html

My preferred ROM is Evervolv Android 4.2. There are some things that don't work (as is the case with all of the ICS/JB ROM ports for this device) - 4G, front-facing camera (FFC), and HDMI out. But besides that, it's solid, and the updated Bluetooth stack in Android 4.2 makes a sound quality difference when streaming. Just my two cents ;).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yeah, I was in that forum. Then I hit search this forum and this is what popped up as something I may have been looking for. Crappy search. Oh well. I'll look at those. Thanks!

just an fyi in AF when you are in a forum make sure to check out the stickies. these are threads that we pin to the top of the forum so that they will not get buried and lost. the list of roms is stickied there as well as others that i recommend that you check oout as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones