just switched from a BB curver to a Droid. Lots of questions

Last Updated:

1. atom631

atom631 Active Member This Topic's Starter

so ive been a BB curve user for many years. I made my first few posts on this forum in the Sprint/HTC Hero board...however, since I found out that the droid has google maps/earth, I decided to jump carriers for the droid.

So Ive been setting the phone up last night and today and there are a few things that have come up that I need some assistance on.

1.) the screen "blackouts" relatively quickly. While I dont mind it doing that to conserve battery power... I hate having to hit the little button on top to get the unlock screen back up. It seems that it happens within seconds. Is there another way to set this up? Or am I able to not have the screen blackout/lock so fast? the only option i found was in settings-> sound and display-> screen timeout. its set to 1 minute by default. the screen blacks out in 10 seconds tops.

2.) I setup my work email through the "exchange" option. We acutally use Zimbra, but it works just the same. Whenever I get a meeting invite, I cant accept/decline right in the email. I have to go to the calendar and chose there. Is there a way to change that?

3.) I have a work and personal email. Ive tried both the stock email client and K-9 (k-9 didnt even work when i tried to setup my account via exchange, it only worked through imap) and I cant figure out how to separate the email accounts into different icons on my homescreen. Is this possible?

4a.) I have my personal contacts that were imported from my SIM card and I have my business contacts that were synced via my email server.. is there a way to split them up? In others words... chose "personal contact" and have my friends and family come up" or hit "business" and everyone else?

4b.) Im considering wiping my personal contacts from my phone and importing them into my Outlook contact list. That way I have 1 contact list that my phone will handle. I still want to be able to do the above though...but am I able to wipe just my personal contacts from the phone that were imported via sim card?

5.) am I able to perform a search through my email? I have 13,000 messages on my mail server and Im wondering if im able to search for them. I dont think its possible with the stock mail client.

6.) am I able to set a ringtone profile? For instance, on my BB I was able to have a silent, vibrate or normal ringtone profile. depending on if i was in a movie, meeting, etc...i would simply select that profile and it would change SMS, MMS, phone, both Emails simultaneously.

7.)I downloaded astro. I havent really tried yet..but if I load up my phone with a bunch of word, excel, ppt, pdfs....am I able to access them via astro and open them? I know I need documents to go for full editing abilites.

8.) where do i get that cool widget that i see everywhere with the clock, date and weather on the home screen?

thanks for the help!!! i know ill have more questions...but ill start with these... ;)

Advertisement
  2. drudometkin

drudometkin Well-Known Member

I know the answer to number 8! It's called beautiful widgets from the android market.

3. atom631

that one is pretty cool..but i think the one im looking for is native to HTC phones and probably not available for the droid.

4. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

You need to buy a program called "documents to go".

5. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Occasionally, the screen will black within seconds if it believes it was an inadvertent wake-up. For example, you hit the power button, but put a finger to the screen to unlock it right away, it'll black out. However, under normal circumstances, what you did should set the display time out.

If it continues to time out sooner, I would check to make sure you haven't downloaded any other apps that might be "overriding" the setting. For example, I have Quick Settings on my phone which will override the settings I've set. If you cannot locate an app culprit, I would turn off the phone and remove the battery for a time and reboot it. See if that helps.

I don't believe that there is currently an ability to accept/decline invites from an email using the exchange option. What many people will say is if you're using exchange quite a lot, it's better to download the PAID app called Touchdown. It is infinitely better and more versatile than the stock exchange. Now, Verizon/Motorola were supposed to release a SECOND update in the Spring that was going to fix this Exchange issue. So, you can wait and hope that they've bundled that with OS2.1-update1 and you'll be good to go. If you can't wait, Touchdown is your best bet. It's a little pricey, but those who use exchange say it's WORTH it.

Support for multiple accounts in this manner is not available at this time. But again, this is supposed to come in the next update. Emphasis on supposed...

Nope, not that I know of. Sorry, no contact separation. Honestly, the closest thing to this, that I know of, is the execution through HTC Sense UI, but that's not available in DROID.

Everything that was imported from your SIM card to your phone is backed up (likely) to the Google cloud. So, if you log into your gmail account and click on contacts, you have all your contacts located there. You can do batch updates through the web.

Yes, you should be able to search your email through the search functions on the phone, so long as the mail is on your phone. I know this works for gmail. How it works for email through the non-gmail client, I'm not sure. My feeling is that it has to be on your phone to search.

There are plenty of apps and widgets that can give you one-touch access to silencing your phone, putting it in vibrate, etc. However, I am not aware of any apps that allow you to save different profiles for those settings.

The phone ships with QuickOffice, but it's like a lite version that'll only open up... I believe, doc and xls files. I buckled down and paid the what is it... $9.99 for docs to go and I love it. Great app.

Beautiful Widgets... I think it's like $1. Pick it up. Great app.

6. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

beautiful widgets is the one you want. it has several skins available or it and one of them looks like the htc clock.

for screen timeout try using screebl from the market. you can set it to keep the screen active while held at a certain angle.

7. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

BW is just as good. Actually, it was so good, that HTC issued them a cease and desist letter. Try it out for 24 hours. If you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund.

8. tominabox1

tominabox1 Well-Known Member

+1 for screebl - I got it right away then I thought, "hmm this can't be helping much..." so I deleted it and found out that I was using its functionality (keeps the screen on) much more than I thought and promptly re-installed it. Awesome app and FREE!

9. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

Through the stock email app, you can set up individual shortcuts for each of the accounts you have set up. I am not sure if you can do the same with K-9 or not. You will not get the notification on the icon like with the Blackberry though.

I too came from the world of Blackberry, so I wanted to also have individual shortcuts set up for each of my email accounts I had set up. After having limited screen space though (and migrating to K-9), I ended up only having the default shortcut available. Through the Notification panel, once you get an email, you are able to open the account directly by pull-down. It works just as well, and clears up more space on the screen.

10. ceruti82

ceruti82 Well-Known Member

6.) am I able to set a ringtone profile? For instance, on my BB I was able to have a silent, vibrate or normal ringtone profile. depending on if i was in a movie, meeting, etc...i would simply select that profile and it would change SMS, MMS, phone, both Emails simultaneously.

use the free app~ QUICK PROFILES.. you can customize it all on there, creative a different profile exactly how you want it set up. (sounds, volume level, vibrate, airplane mode, wifi on/off, etc)
    it wont change your email sync, but if you put the power control widget on a home screen, you can shut off email sync with one tap of the button. (4th one that is circling arrows)

11. atom631

you know...i can deal with all the other issues...is the screen blacking out issue that is absolutely killing me. everytime i go to use the phone, i have to hit the top button, then swipe. there is no way for me to just be able to tap the screen then swipe? or not have it lock without me saying so? so if the screen goes dark, i can tap it and its unlocked. then i can select a "lock screen" button or something and it will lock?

you guys are right.. beautiful widgets is pretty cool. question about that though... it says i should remove it from task manager or something. how do i do that? also.... i made the screen to the right of home screen full of the beautiful widget shortcuts for wifi, gps, bluetooth, silent, vibrat and added my corporate calendar.

does having all these widgets running (including the google search/voice search on screen to left and the time/weather on homescreen) slow the phone down or cause any problems?

12. tominabox1

tominabox1 Well-Known Member

you must have missed the Screebl posts. Get it. As long as you are holding your phone it will not lock.

13. atom631

i saw it after i put up that post... i just installed it. im a little confused by the fuctionality, but i think i got it. as long as the green is filled in on the little icon up top, it wont lock. so basically i set my phone so that if its on a more than 5 degree angle, dont lock. seems to be working good. i also found a setting somewhere, i think in the applications section believe it or not, that says somethng to the effect of "dont turn of screen if usb cable is plugged in. not sure if thats good for the phone or not (especially overnight when i have it plugged in for at least 8hrs straight).

i also picked up documents to go. so im all set on that front. im going to look into touchdown and give the trial version a go tomorrow.

i also got slideIT and that works suprisingly well! (not that i listed anything regarding the keyboard, but i just thought id share).

14. KAL-EL

KAL-EL Well-Known Member

Welcome to the family atom631! I too was a BB Curve user for quite a while.