just want a fast rom -- nothing flashy, just not laggy

Last Updated:

1. Amrov

Amrov Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Would appreciate a solid recommendation on a ROM that is fast & not laggy - don't care about any special or extra features or themes. I use LauncherPro and like it, but it is very laggy on my current (first and only) custom ROM - LFY1.5 (others have also reported lagginess in that thread). I also tried ADW on this ROM, and it was even worse in my opinion -- more laggy.

I may try LFY1.4. But thought I'd ask for a recommendation first. I tried reading several threads discussing the various ROM's but it's impossible for me to compare these things. Every thread has lovers and complainers and I'm finding it impossible to wade through.

I don't like changing ROMs (changing wallpaper is enough for me). So, I'd like to pick a good one and stick with it (until there is a major update that warrants an upgrade). I like the look of my phone and my screens now; I just want my phone to perform better. I shouldn't be able to count to three between launching an app and it actually showing up...

In short, looking for a fast, reliable, simple ROM that will pretty much leave the look & feel of my phone as-is and get rid of the lagginess I have now.

Does that exist?

Advertisement
  2. stewart1champ

stewart1champ Well-Known Member

You will get a list of every ROM made. Everyone will have their own opinion of what works and what doesn't. For me, CyanogenMod ROMs have always worked best for me. For others, it will be Ultimate Droid. Others, LithiumMod, etc.

Your best bet is to just keep trying until you find one that works best for you.

3. Vakman

Vakman Well-Known Member

I think you will get a bunch of people saying what ROMs they like but if people actually read the question, you may get what you want.
    Some ROMs are built for features and others for speed etc.
    So just saying Cyanogenmod would be incorrect.
    Try "http://androidforums.com/droid-roms...blazing-fast-7-theme-options-many-extras.html" - made to be a fast ROM with not to many added features.

Beyond that take a look at Bugless Beast either the other version or the new Beta version. Beta version: http://androidforums.com/droid-roms...t-v0-4-android-2-2-frf84b-fully-deodexed.html

Amrov likes this.
  4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

why not just a vanilla "deodexed" ROM, even the recently release P3 FRG22D deodexed version is just stock 2.2 ROM no thrills, themes, etc BUT since it is deodexed so it presumably is cleaner and faster, no?

Amrov likes this.
  5. stewart1champ

stewart1champ Well-Known Member

6. Amrov

I did read this first, and that is one of the reasons I chose LFY (one of the highest reviewed, with many reviews). And I'm certainly not saying it's a bad choice at all. I just may want to go back a step to LFY1.4 for now. I just posted this to see if there was a ROM specifically with the rep for being clean and fast... I'm very new to romming and haven't kept up with any buzz before the last 2-3 days.

Appreciate all of the responses!

7. Amrov

Still on LFY 1.5. I changed my kernel to Slayher's 1200 (downloaded through ROM manager). Rebooted a few times (lost GPS connection first time around). Phone is MUCH faster, and I'm satisfied for now. This is the speed I was expecting.

8. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I would suggest trying a few different kernels first. I have had slower kernels run smoother with less lag. Also I have learned (for me atleast) to not set my min too low in SetCpu. Right now I have a P3 1200 kernel set to 400/850 on lithium mod.

Its a trial and error thing until you find that special combo. Also play with your settings in spare parts and launcher pro.

9. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

good job !!! keep playing until your happy :)

10. Damademan3

Damademan3 Well-Known Member

Go with Bugless Beast. Its the fastest rom i have used and has no issues like others. I use a lower kernel and get better performance than a faster kernel in another rom.

11. myko14

myko14 Well-Known Member

I am quite new to romming so please don't take offense... It seems like there are a lot of kernels out there with different voltage, frequencies, min/max settings that provide different results. Basically, trial and error. Please help me understand how a 450/800 setting or an ULV kernel can outperform a 450/1250 or LV kernel from the same builder and on the same ROM.

12. SweetDroid

SweetDroid Member

I have tried 4 ROMs today and have had the best luck by far with both features and bald faced speed with Liquid Frozen Yogurt, in short I think you made the right choice.

Oh and just for ref a order of ranking of the 4 I tested

1. Liquid Frozen Yogurt
    2. FRG022
    3. ChevyNo1's SS
    4. Lithium (This one SUCKED)

13. Damademan3

Damademan3 Well-Known Member

i was stating i get a better performance with a lower speed kernel vs a high speed kernel in another rom. Just for sake of example I am running BB0.4 with a 800mhz kernel and get super fast response/stability from my phone. Now i had Liquids 1.5 rom with a 1ghz Kernel and had the performance of a unrooted, not overclocked 2.1 droid. It was sluggish with a lot of pauses. With LFY1.5 i did try the stock kernel, chevy, p3, and slayher with Slayher having the best (if i can say that) performance of all. As we all know the performance of a rom is differenet with each phone so im stating what works best for mine. Im also unable to use CyanogenMod 6 which makes me part of the minority i believe.

14. myko14

myko14 Well-Known Member

I can understand that. I have noticed the difference in the few ROMs I have tried in terms of speed and function. I also understand that if you OC with different kernels you may have problems with heat, battery life and instability. I have seen a lot of debate about getting better speed AND battery life with ULV kernels, for example. Or discussions about Interactive scaling in by SetCPU. I too just want a setup that is fast and smooth but without flashing 10 kernels for each of the 6-7 popular ROMs out there.

15. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

I think I hit the sweet spot on my phone with FRG22 and slayhers 1000lv kernel set on "interactive" for the main setting and all the profiles. It is smooth and fast. The "interactive" seems to get rid of any lag that I had when I had my setcpu to "ondemand". The battery life is outsanding.

I tried LFY but it was a bit buggy on my phone for some reason.

16. ukyfan

ukyfan Member

I agree that you will get a million different responses on this, and here comes mine. I have been running Sapphire 1.0 for a little while now, and it is really quick. If you want more info you can find it here.

17. guttyla

guttyla Well-Known Member

I am new to rooting and use LF 1.41. I find it very quick and snappy. I also us launcher pro with it. I am very happy with it. I don't use any themes, I rooted just to see if I could get rid of lags and it worked...i recommend LF1.41. Oh, also, i do not overclock or use kernels or any of that stuff, just the basic.

original droid
    LF1.41
    Launcher Pro
    No overclock, no kernels, no themes

18. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

There really is no other way. It takes an enthusiast to find what works best on your particular phone. Once you do get there ... make a back up !!! Oh then then in a couple of days some new rom will come out that you just have to try :eek: alot of it is tweaking the rom to run its best. Kernels are easy and quick to swap out. But I enjoy this stuff :rolleyes:

19. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

same but no launcher pro I use zeam launcher..

be sure and do v1.4 then to the 1.41..

20. Mrwirez

Mrwirez Well-Known Member

Simply Stunning 4.7 stock theme from ChevyNo1.

21. smacky

smacky Banned

I just got the deodexed Froyo FRG22 from a thread in here. So it's a stock ROM rooted and it works fine for me. I don't see the difference between the 50 other fancy-named ROMs on here and then this one. This one is faster, I think, in that I don't get lag at all, whereas on the others, despite OCing, there will be the occasional lag.

So I would recommend that one. I think it's the same as the OTA that was pushed a few days ago.

22. patch

patch Well-Known Member

I thought "deodexing" would make it slower, but easier to modify things?

Does anyone actually release vanilla ROMs with just su, and SuperUser.apk?

23. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

If you're looking for stability and speed a vanilla deodexed ROM is probably your best bet. If you want that with a little flash Bugless Beast is your best choice. Beyond BB and a vanilla rom you start getting into the flashiness and crap that you don't seem to be too interested in.

24. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

If any other dev could kang the insanely variable power strip widget from CM6, I'd give em a shot. But, that one feature alone makes me pretty devoted to all the little tweaks they add to their ROMs.