Just want root access

Last Updated:

1. reservoirdog

reservoirdog New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi!

I've got a Sprint Hero with Android 2.1 (.6 and not .5 as required for unrevoked).

All I want is root access (no custom roms) for some applications (mainly WiFi tether). I'm a complete noob to rooting and what I gathered from the guides is that all data is erased. Is there any way (regardless of how complicated) such taht I don't lose any data/apps and just gain root access?

Advertisement
  2. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

For you to root from the .6 software update, you'd have to ruu back to the .5 version first. The ruu is what wipes your phone though not rooting, so you only have to worry about it happening once.

3. grosser

grosser Active Member

How would we go back to the .5 version? I also am interested but have the .6 version. I used to have the original 2.1 upgrade on my computer but can't find it now, so I think I might have deleted it. Now I can't find the .5 version.

4. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

grosser likes this.
  5. FdxRider

FdxRider Well-Known Member

grosser likes this.
  6. wrench

wrench Well-Known Member

I have Sprint 2.1(.6). I have a few questions:

1. If I understand correctly, I need to run the .5 RUU, which will restore the phone to a factory fresh Sprint 2.1(.5)?

2. So what's the best way to backup data? Obviously gmail takes care of my contacts, and I can move pics and videos to dropbox. But what about text messages (not GVoice texts), and application data, like stocks in the stock market app, lists in Grocery IQ, browser bookmarks, etc? What about the applications downloaded from the market - do I need to redownload all those individually?

3. Once I revert to Sprint 2.1(.5), and then root, and then restore the apps and backed-up data, I guess I should make a backup before deleting Sprint apps and of course before flashing a custom ROM. Do I need third-party software for this, or is this function accessible in the rooted Android?

4. If I root and later need help from Sprint on a hardware or software issue, can I unroot and get back to factory fresh state? Is this also true once I flash a custom ROM? Can I flash back a Sprint ROM and then unroot?

Thanks for any info.

7. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

1. Yes.

2. Backing up apps can be done with a program like titanium backup. I have never used it, but others here have. I typically prefer to start fresh :).

3. After you root, you create something called a nandroid backup. This is like a "snapshot" or "system restore point" of your phone. You can always restore your nandroid backup and get your phone back to how it was when you created it. You must have root access to create a nandroid. It is part of the steps (read up on how to root and you will see).

4. To un-root is simple - Run the RUU again. This will put your phone back to factory default and then you can root again as you wish later on.

(P.S.)
    Most of your questions were already answered in the FAQ/Guide. This is why we have an FAQ. Please read up on things. It will help you in the long run :)

wrench likes this.
  8. wrench

wrench Well-Known Member

But Titanium Backup requires rooting. Since running .5 RUU is going to wipe the phone prior to rooting, I won't be able to use TB. Is there any way to backup the application data that doesn't require an already rooted phone?

9. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

MyBackupPro is pretty good and should work for you. Once you get rooted though, you want to get Titanium Backup. It's excellent at what it does. :)