Just want root - do I need a custom ROM?

Last Updated:

1. joeedarock

joeedarock Member This Topic's Starter

My Eris has the official Verizon 2.1 installed by an OTA update. All I want is to be able to run apps that require root access. Do I need to do anything more than apply the root file (PB00IMG.zip) and reboot?? Do I really need to flash a custom ROM if I don't want any different OS functionality? Basically, I'm looking for the most bare-bones root process that will let me run apps that require root, but leave my OS as virgin as possible.

Joe

Advertisement
  2. raphifix

raphifix Well-Known Member

Follow the instructions on this thread. Use the all-in-one root script after installing the Android SDK. If you want a "virgin" os, just flash and use Ivan's Official 2.1 root ROM (which is included with the all-in-one script I think). It looks identical to 2.1 stock except it has root.

And a word of advice/warning: If you decide to root manually, make SURE that the PB00IMG.zip file you flash is the root version. There are several versions of this file on the interwebz, some with root, and some without. If you accidentally flash the one without root, you will not be able to gain root access.

That being said, good luck, and feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like. ;)

3. joeedarock

I got past step 1 and the phone rebooted normally. When I attempted step 2, all I got was line after line of error messages. The phone is now stuck in a screen with 3 Androids and a red message bar that says"Fastboot USB"

4. joeedarock

OK, I think I got past the problem. Had to remove the battery and reboot the phone. All seems OK now, just waiting for it to restart

5. pacedrum69

pacedrum69 Well-Known Member

Im a total noob, and with the help of this forum, IM ROOTED...:D
    Just take your time reading thru these forums (xda too), you will find everything you need...and if you get stuck..Google rules .
    Welcome to the happy land of Root...Its like crack once you figure it out

6. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

so true man.
    Once I learned overclock is was game over.
    started removing .apks,
    got comfortable and famililar with adb and the android sdk
    love flashing roms,
    love figuring out new metamorph themes
    and ya gotta love changing the lock screen, rotary, the 2.1 lock screen, and the htc screen with tansparent, all good stuff!

7. joeedarock

Thanks for the support guys.

I got through all the steps in the rooting script and my phone is alive. Some observatrions: I can't run any app that needs SU permissions. Tha SU permissions app just hangs there and then times out. Also, I don't see some of the apps in the Market that I previously had (eg, Skype mobile)

Ideas?

Joe

8. MJL

MJL Well-Known Member

You will probably need to install a different/updated rom or jcases market fix to get certain things available in the market, search eris market fix in the market and download that. Or I think Ivan has an updated 2.1 stock app on the xda forums you can flash.

For your SU permissions, make sure you have usb debugging enabled on the phone in the settings menu.

9. joeedarock

I just finished running through the whole root script process again, but still no SU functionality. If I launch the SU permissions app, I just get a blank screen. USB debugging has been enabled the whole time.

10. joeedarock

I seem to now be able to launch some apps that require root permissions, but launching the Permissions app just results in a blank screen - is this normal?

Also, on my stock OTA 2.1, I was able to download and run Skype Mobile from the Skype web site. Now, when I try to download, it says there isn't a version for my phone.

11. joeedarock

OK guys, everything seems to be working, though I don't really understand what the Superuser Permissions app is supposed to do.

The reason the SkypeMobile app wouldn't download from Skype is that you can't request it while connected through a WiFi network. You have to request it while accessing through the mobile network.

I think I'm off to the races - Thanks again to all

12. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

joe,

I noticed that nobody answered your original question.

The ROM that comes with the "Root-PB00IMG.ZIP" file is an extremely early edition of 2.1 from HTC - it's version # suggests that it pre-dates even Leak-V1, so, while it does allow root, it is completely riddled with bugs. I don't know a single person that would recommend anyone stick it out with that OS software.

Even if you just want a rock-solid ROM with root, I would strongly suggest you get the Amon_RA recovery installed onto your phone, and then load a "conservative" dev ROM such as Jcase's "Plain Jane" (or Ivanmmj's "Official 1.0 alpha").

You might have already done this - I can't tell from what you said in your post. Even if you were not going to be swapping ROMs around though, there is a huge benefit to having the Amon_RA recovery on your rooted phone:

backups! backups! backups!

eu1

13. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

Yes, you don't run that app, it launches when apps that require root access need it. Run SetCPU or Wireless Tether and the SU app will launch.