Just when I think I settled on an EVO they announce patent the EVO Shift

Last Updated:

1. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have always made it a cardinal rule not to get a new phone in the middle of its life-cycle, but with the sweet plans my girlfriend gets from work ($20 all you can eat) I had finally settled on the EVO. We were going to grab a pair this coming weekend, and then I read about the patenting of the EVO shift. What are the odds that this thing smokes the specs of the current evo and comes out in the next three (or fewer) months? My other fear is that if it comes out soon that HTC will drop support for the EVO and ths not provide official android upgrades (ie gingerbread and ice cream).

Advertisement
  2. Bnice

Bnice Guest

I have learn you can not keep up with having the greatest and latest device, something new and better will always come along.I don't think HTC will turn on the EVO,its in demand right now.

3. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Does the shift include a keyboard also? I'm not terribly worried about the Shift, the Evo is still a great device that I know I can hang with for a year.

4. lordofthereef

My main concern is the screen really. The EVO is incredibly lackluster when it comes to screen quality IMO.

I am not necessarily saying I want to stay on top with the latest and greatest, but the unit has been out for about six months now. There is a lot better chance of staying on top of the tech so long as you buy when the product launches and not wait six months like I will potentially be doing.

5. lordofthereef

I am not sure a whole lot is known about the shift other than the name LOL. I can say that I would prefer no keyboard. Neither I nor my grilfriend can stand them!

6. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

any links to rumors??

7. Bnice

Bnice Guest

8. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

Just a little point here. Do you happen to know that when you get stuff on release date they are extremely buggy and they tend to crash quite often. I know release date for Evo was nuts and I think the internet crashed a couple of times within my area. I did not have the evo back than but my buddy did and he was going off the wall.

I think buying a slightly older device is always worth it because you know the bugs or they have been fixed already. Brand new technology is cool but it tends to bug and you cannot really find a lot of fixes just yet why? because it is new!!!

Anyway I like everything on my Evo except the battery life which sometime is completely ridiculous.

9. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

that is true...
    The EVO had a lot of "new" features...
    4G
    8mb camera
    HDMI out
    HD vid recording
    there were problems but nothing show stopping...

I dont know what is in the new EVO Shift... but i dont think there are any new features that have been rumored. most likely some better improvements... EVO was the learning curve. I hope.

10. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous, really. If you always wait on every rumor you will never buy a phone, ever.

And buying a phone upon first release can be just as painful, with new bugs that need to be worked out, not knowing if the phone can be rooted, or if custom ROMs will be available.

It's nice to buy a phone that has been out for a little while, so you can learn from the collective wisdom of the folks who have been using / developing for it for a while.

11. Bnice

Bnice Guest

The only thing I would be a little jealous of is a higher resolution.

12. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Exactly. And there is NO POINT in talking about the Shift just yet. We do not know ANYTHING about it, or when it will be released.

13. lordofthereef

Buying iPhones have never been waiting on rumors. A new one comes out like clockwork every 12 months. This is my third iPhone, so I am far from "never buying a new phone". My point was, that it would suck to buy this phone and 2-3 months down the line have the successor to this phone be launched. How my thoughts on this are a bad thing, I am not sure, but everyone on this thread seems to think I am an idiot for thinking this way. And here I was thinking iPhone users were the ones full of themselves...

14. lordofthereef

This is really the only thing holding me back. I got used to a nicer screen and the screen on the EVO would be a downgrade... which is why I was hoping for something with a nicer screen to be coming around the corner.

15. lordofthereef

Would also love something that sports stock android...

16. lordofthereef

Yes, things that are rushed do tend to do that. All things considered I have had very few issues buying products at launch and have been very happy with them overall (this ranges from consoles, to phones, you name it). If I am going in thinking that this phone is going to be a buggy POS at launch it is not really a company I would want to associate myself with anyway (regardless of the maker).

17. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Well think about it, they are two completely different sales models.

First, take the iPhone platform/OS. It is from one manufacturer and on one network, and they put out one per year. You're right that's it very consistent, and very reliable. Like clockwork, every year, they have a HUGE rush of consumer to buy the new model, then they comparably trickle through the rest of the year, and then it comes to an abrupt halt a month or two before the next release. I would guess that Apple has a 10month sales cycle with a 2 month gap of virtually no income from iPhone sales.

Now look at Android. It's provided by several manufacturers on all networks. Android hardware is being released in various forms, various qualities, and at various prices, so that everyone can choose what's right for them (specs, affordability, and network). This huge amount of output means that it's going to be nearly impossible to find "the next big thing" because the next big thing is ALWAYS around the corner depending on what you want. This is why people in this forum always say to start with the carrier first... it's a GREAT way to narrow down your options.

Now, lets look at it from a more narrow perspective, more specifically, the Evo. Like the iPhone, the Evo has had a HUGE rush of consumer demand upon release. (Way more than anyone could have expected. That's because there was a previously untapped demand for a reliable top-end Sprint Android handset... but that's beside the point). Now, the Evo was the first big hit of its kind for Sprint/HTC. Yeah, the Hero was great, but not at this scale.

So we now have two problems: (1) We do not have a rough time line established for HTC's periodic Sprint/Android releases yet, and (2) We do not know how far ahead of time HTC will be announcing the next release.

The only speculation that I have to resolve #1 is that handsets are released either a month-or-two before Christmas, or sometime in the early summer (on a side note, the glaring exception seems to be Samsung, they tend to release in the off-seasons). Any good business will advertise its product to Christmas shoppers in an effort to gobble up some market share. No ads=no share. So if HTC hasn't announced anything yet, they are not going to have anything before Christmas. You can be assured of that. In addition, there is a consumer lull, after Christmas. So nothing will be released for at least a month afterwards (by anyone expecting to get decent market share).

In an attempt to resolve problem #2 (how far ahead of time HTC will be announcing the next release), we should take a look at the general market for Android devices as a whole. And when we do this, 2 conclusions will be drawn. #1 is that consumers will stop buying currently-sold phones from a certain manufacturer if that manufacturer announces a new phone (of desired specs/price) coming "soon." And #2 is that consumers will stop buying currently-sold phones from Other manufacturers in anticipation of the one that's coming "soon." (You are here).

What is the proper timing for announcing a new model? Answer: When the sales on your current line have slowed down to below profitable rates, AND before the competition announces theirs.

I hear you now saying "Well why announce BEFORE the other manufacturers? Didn't you just say that people will wait?" The answer is this, people that are waiters are not buyers. So forget them, they are untargetable. The only thing a manufacturer can do is attempt to beat his competition to the punch when it comes to active consumers.

Man I'm sorry that this is dragging on, but I promise I will come to a vague form of a conclusion soon...

Who is the Evo's competition? Samsung? or Droid? Samsung releases in the off-season, so they're less of a competitor when it comes to timing of advertising. My money would be on Droid being the big competitor. Yay! we now have somewhat of a time-line to tether to. Looking back at Droid's advertising campaign, they start putting out ads months ahead of time (not to mention giving the tech community tastes of it). And as far as I can tell, Droid is still riding the DX and D2 wave pretty heavily.

So, because I still haven't reached my point about the patenting issue, and I am tired of writing... I'm just going to sum it up the way that I should have in the first place. The next phone isn't likely to hit before next summer. Because: (1) the Evo is still selling strong, (2) HTC has only patented a name, which is hardly more than a fart in the direction of speculation of a device (remember the Evo was originally the Supersonic, so names don't mean a whole lot). (3) The competition is still selling strong, (4) it's out of season, and (5) I want a 5th reason and my brain is now failing me.:eek:

Also (and I promise this is the last point), you should stay away from bleeding edge releases unless you are the very patient type. From the iFail4 release, and the Evo glitches at release, all the way to previous Samsung release glitches that were NEVER resolved, you should hold off on buying a new phone until you see (1) The types of glitches the phone WILL have (irreparable hardware vs update-able software), and (2) How well/adamantly the manufacturer is treating those glitches.

Edit: Looking back... DAMN that is a convoluted post.

18. lordofthereef

I think "what I want" is sort of being overlooked here. I want to go with a Sprint phone, and I wanted essentially the EVO with a better screen. My point was to possibly stir a discussion as to how soon this might be released, based on the fact that I assumed (apparently stupidly) that some members here would have some first hand experience of how soon these things roll out (or have the potential to roll out). Instead I am being called a fool for waiting for "the next big thing". With anything you buy, there is something that will be better. I get that. What I was trying to figure how soon the successor to the EVO will arise. If the answer is 2-3 months, for me, it is worth waiting. In any case, this thread has turned into something completely different than I intended it to be. I guess I should have titled it "when are we likely to see a successor to the EVO 4G now that there is a patent for the EVO Shift". Perhaps that would have been easier for most people to wrap their heads around...

CriticalCritic -
    FWIW you did the best job summing up the information I actually wanted to know. Thank you for actually being helpful in this! :)

19. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

As soon as the Evo Shift is released there will be an Evo Shift 2 rumor and patent. Where will all end?

You should stick with the iPhone... LOL its model is one phone a year, or "no soup for you!"

You seem to paralyzed by choices, or paralysis by analysis as some call it... The single soup model is much better in this case. ;)

I also have a friend who wants to get the iPhone 4, but has been holding off because he believes Apple will release a revision or redesign that fixes the antenna-gate flaw. So he's been holding on for months now waiting to use his upgrade. Waiting in vain.

Life is too damn short. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Get it now and enjoy it now, if you can afford it.

20. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I think the EVO Shift is a keyboard version of the EVO.

21. lordofthereef

I don't think there will be a "shift 2" as soon as the shift launches. Why? Because it has been six months since the evo came out... hardly immediately after.

22. Bnice

Bnice Guest

I agree and i don't see an EVO 2 or whatever the name may be until around May or June when the next iphone launches.

23. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

Go ahead if you want the EVO.

The EVO Shift is more like Sprint's version of the HTC Desire Z with slider keyboard and 3.8" screen, much like Droid Merge is Verizon's version of the Desire Z. That's more or less like the T-Mobile G2, but with HTC Sense.

24. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

that sounds more like the HTC Knight that has been rumored for sprint.

either way.. I am hoping something new drops for sprint before end of year.

25. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

The Shift is the Knight.