1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

K-9 email settings...

Last Updated:

1. Chuck1906

Chuck1906 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I was setting up an additional account this morning it asked me how often do I want it to check for new mail. I chose every hour but I now want to change it to something else and I have searched the settings and cannot find that option anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can find that option?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Alyianna

Alyianna Well-Known Member

Long press on the account... then choose account settings

3. Chuck1906

I think you mis read my posting. I already know how to access the settings. I cannot seem to locate where I can select how often K-9 will check for new email. When I set the account up I set it to check every hour but I want to change it to something less than that now.

4. Alyianna

Well, I can't be sure I have the same version of K-9, but I long press each of my accounts, go to account settings and scroll to:
    "Folder Poll Check Frequency"
    And I have just assumed this is how often this account is checked (polled)... mine is set at 5 minutes and my email is checked every 5 minutes.

5. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

That is NOT how I have mine setup, and mine syncs instantly. I just sent myself an email to my Gmail account and I received the email on my DROID in 7 seconds. Mine doesn't have to wait until the next polling.

Here's how I have mine setup: Open the Inbox of the account you want to edit > Menu button > More > Settings > Folder settings.
    "Folder sync class" = "1st Class"
    "Folder push class" = "1st class".

Next, from the same Inbox > Menu button > More > Settings > Account settings > scroll down ...
    "Folder poll check frequency" = "never"
    "Sync message from" = "any time (no limit)"
    "Folder to check with poll" = "Only 1st Class folders"
    "Folders to check with push" = "Only 1st Class folders"

I've been running K9 like that for months and months. Works flawlessly. Hope this helps.

6. messenger13

Always make sure to visit THEIR SITE for updates that are offered only there, and not on the Market.

7. Alyianna

I just tried to set mine up the way you describe, but "Folder Push Class" is greyed out and unavailable. Could this be because I use K9 for my local email provider and this isn't an option for me?

8. Chuck1906

Thanks Joe, I am gonna give that a shot. @Alyianna my Folder Push Class is greyed out too but if you notice it should still say 1st class folders.

What does 1st class and 2nd class folders actually mean? I have 2 different email accounts I am using with K-9.

9. smacky

smacky Banned

This is gonna be silly, but I've never used K-9. What benefits do you get from it as compared to having GMail sync and then your other email sync through the Email app?

10. Chuck1906

Me personally, I was having issues with the stock email so I changed to K-9 and like that much better. I do use my Gmail too but for my main email accounts that I use daily, K-9 is my choice.

11. Chuck1906

@Joe, I did everything you said to do and went to AOL and sent myself a test message to another account that have synced with K-9 and nothing happened. I had to actually go to K9, click my Folder name and then click Check for Messages. After I did all that is when I saw my message that I sent myself and then the notification chime sounded. The way I have it set up is that it should chime whenever I get an email from that account instead of me manually have to check and pull them up.

I do like how I can change the LED blinker color to let me know what account just got an email message!

12. TKazNC

TKazNC Member

Tell me if I am wrong but don't IMAP (i.e. GMail and Yahoo) accounts update via push (no polling) and POP accounts require the account to be polled? So if you create a new POP account it will only be updated (polled) at the frequency set in the account's settings. This is the way all my accounts work.

13. MahoVader

MahoVader Well-Known Member

Correct, POP mail servers don't have push available.

I have an odd problem with a POP account. If I recreate the data for the account (like starting it from scratch), it will poll for email and say that it's downloading however many I have waiting... but only actually download and show the one most recent email!?!? Bizarre, since all of my other email accounts work perfectly.

Ideas? Suggestions? It wouldn't really bother me, but of course, it only affects my main email account.

14. messenger13

Going back many months ago, the stock email app sucked. And, with K9, I have it managing several email accounts, all with different notification sounds and colors, etc., etc. VERY customizable!

Now, I use the stock email app for my work's Exchange mail and it works flawlessly for that. I like using two apps for email ... one for work, ... and K9 for all of my personal accounts, including GMail.

15. messenger13

Oops! I'm sorry guys ... I misled some of you. :eek: The above directions are just for IMAP accounts. For my POP accounts I (obviously) do have to poll the account.

Here's how I have my POP ACCOUNTS setup:
    Open the Inbox of the account you want to edit > Menu button > More > Settings > Folder settings.
    "Folder display class" = "none"
    "Folder sync class" = "1st class"

Next, from the same Inbox > Menu button > More > Settings > Account settings > scroll down ...
    "Folder poll check frequency" = "Every 30 minutes" (or whatever you want)
    "Sync message from" = "any time (no limit)"
    "Folder to check with poll" = "Only 1st Class folders"
    "Sync Remote deletions" is checked.

Hope this clears things up. :)

16. case1212

case1212 Active Member

I followed your direction and now you come back with an "oops." I followed your directions in your first listing and now I am confused. I have Yahoo and GMail. Would they be IMap or POP?

17. messenger13

GMail is IMAP. I believe Yahoo is too.

18. SNeitzel

SNeitzel Well-Known Member

I too had problems with the stock email app.
    It would work fine for a few days then I would just stop getting email (both IMAP and POP).
    The only way to fix it was delete accounts and re-add them.
    K-9 mail has worked great for me.
    My only issue with it is with attachments and how/when messages with attachments get marked as read. That, and would love the option to save data on the SD card instead of internal.

19. prisch

prisch New Member

I had to change my password on one of my email accounts. I can't find where to edit the PW on my K9. BTW, I reallyt like the ability to place all email in one folder.

20. Howard Packer

Howard Packer Well-Known Member

Is there a way to set K-9 to either notify of updates or to update automatically?

21. prisch

prisch New Member

It notifies me on my EVO. It can be set to poll (update?) on given intervals.

22. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Menu -> More -> Settings -> Account Settings

Or, on the account list: long-hold press on the account, then Account Settings

Then:

Fetching mail -> Incoming Server

prisch likes this.
  23. ronhoney

ronhoney Member

War Damn Eagle!!

24. prisch

prisch New Member

Thank you Sremick. I so appreciate your help. Made all the difference in the world.

25. Shofar

Shofar Well-Known Member

How can you view, download attachments in K9 Mail