1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

K-9 Email Setup

Last Updated:

1. cableghost

cableghost Active Member This Topic's Starter

In IMAP setup, it is constantly checking/polling the server...can this be a drain on battery/resources?

With POP setup, I receive the mail, but upon being read on my desktop, that particular email disappears from K-9...is there a way to keep all mail (read and unread), except those I delete, using POP?

-Scott

Advertisement
  2. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

I haven't found IMAP on K9 to be a drain. I use it for gMail instead of the built-in gMail app.

K9 shows POP emails that are in the server inbox. If your desktop removes items from the server, then K9 will remove them too. You can set your desktop to not remove them if you really need to see them in K9.

jd

3. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

IMAP does not poll, it signs into the email site and sits there waiting for the site to push the email to the device. What IMAP can be set up to do is to ensure the integrity of the connection on a routine basis and that uses very little juice. IMAP has traditionally been more efficient than POP.

4. Carl6

Carl6 Well-Known Member

I have my EVO set to not delete mail from POP server, and have my PC set to hold for 10 days before deleting.

5. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

Scott, I just noticed a setting in Accounts Settings-> Fetching mail in the latest Market version (the setting has probably been in K9 for a while) that is: Sync Server Deletions. If you uncheck that, K9 will retain mail it has read (up to the size you specified) even if that mail has been deleted from the server.

jd