• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chuck1906

Android Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2009
I don't know if I have my K9 Email set up correctly and was looking for some assistance. What does it mean to Poll? Then in the settings it asks to Poll 1st class folders or 2nd class, or always or never. What does all that mean? A lot of times when I open K9, I want it to show me all my NEW unread messages and its showing me a bunch of emails from a few days ago and yes I know how to switch it. For example today I had to keep hitting "Check for Mail" several times for it kick in and give me TODAYS emails! Another thing I don't get is the message size. I think I have it set to 512mb right now.

Is there a website perhaps a K9 website that offers suggestions on the best way of setting it up?

I had it all set up when I first got it from the Market but then I cleared my phone's Cache a while back and that reset my applications. I am just trying to set it up close to how I had it.

I don't know if I have my K9 Email set up correctly and was looking for some assistance. What does it mean to Poll? Then in the settings it asks to Poll 1st class folders or 2nd class, or always or never. What does all that mean? A lot of times when I open K9, I want it to show me all my NEW unread messages and its showing me a bunch of emails from a few days ago and yes I know how to switch it. For example today I had to keep hitting "Check for Mail" several times for it kick in and give me TODAYS emails! Another thing I don't get is the message size. I think I have it set to 512mb right now.

Is there a website perhaps a K9 website that offers suggestions on the best way of setting it up?

I had it all set up when I first got it from the Market but then I cleared my phone's Cache a while back and that reset my applications. I am just trying to set it up close to how I had it.

I am going to assume you set up your email account as a POP3, versus a IMAP. You are going to have to options for acquiring your email through K-9 Mail, push and poll. Push will be associated with IMAP and Exchange servers, and Poll will be associated with POP3.

Push will be the server will push the emails to your phone, while poll means the phone will have to search for new emails on the server. So, with poll, you will need to set a polling frequency, or how often the phone will look for new emails.

1st Class and 2nd Class folders are the folders associated with your account. If I remember correctly, 1st class will be your inbox, and 2nd class will be any of your folders you set up in the account.

Message size is the limit of how big of a email the phone will bring in, I believe... This is to keep the email app size down.

As far as set up, you best bet would be to go through a manual setup for the account, but if it is sending and receiving emails, I think the automatic setup worked for you, assuming that is what you did.

Upvote 0
What's best depends on the type of email account. What type of email account are you using?

Push will be associated with IMAP and Exchange servers, and Poll will be associated with POP3.
There are other push accounts. Not all IMAP accounts are push. POP is always pull.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones