• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

K-9 Email

Um, on the subject of emails being re-downloaded after reading them, did you set the stock mail client to delete from the server after you've deleted them on the Droid?

Email > Menu > Account Settings > Incoming Settings > Delete email from server

Change this to "When I delete from Inbox" and it will delete it off the server when you delete in the client. I'm sure this is all you'd have to do. The built in mail client doesn't suck THAT bad :)

Upvote 0
Um, on the subject of emails being re-downloaded after reading them, did you set the stock mail client to delete from the server after you've deleted them on the Droid?

Email > Menu > Account Settings > Incoming Settings > Delete email from server

Change this to "When I delete from Inbox" and it will delete it off the server when you delete in the client. I'm sure this is all you'd have to do. The built in mail client doesn't suck THAT bad :)

The problem is, why would I want to delete them from the server just because I deleted them from my phone? I use Outlook as my primary email client for both my hotmail and godaddy POP accounts. The last thing I want is to possibly lose an email because I accidentally deleted it from the phone.

The phone is my secondary email reading device.

Until email works as well, if not better than on a blackberry, email on the Droid is going to suck (my opinion). I've learned to live with the complete lack of a usable email client on my phone (I was a BB user for years) and if I had realized how bad the email client was, including K-9, I never would have bought the phone.

Upvote 0
Use the desktop and make a folder as you normally would. I use Yahoo and created a folder there. Next back on the phone Menu > Folder List > Refresh Folders. This only worked for me on 3G and NOT WIFI. Now I can see the new folder. Next open the message MENU > More > Move (there is also Add Star, Forward and Copy) next is the Folder list and choose the folder. Good Luck. Let me know if it works. And don't worry there is no one more desnse than me.

can u explain this alittle more in depth?what desktop? my pc? dontreally understand..sorry

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I have a Hotmail Count, and i HAVE to use pop3! :(
Anyone can tell me if is possible to have a limit to push the emails attachments?!
If we use, the htc email app (Sense UI) it's possible to define the mount (volume) off email we want.
It's a problem to me because i get throw APN and if anyone send me an email with 10Mg o "crash" my limit off traffic for a day!

Thks all...

Upvote 0
UGH, I have read about displaying foldes and I have both accounts set to display all but I can not get K9 to show or list the filed folder I have on my two pop accounts?? I have an extra folder on two of my pop accounts where i file emails, both are called filed.

I've got the same problem. I'm using a btinternet account. I have multiple folders in my mail account, but when I've set up K9, it only shows the Inbox. I've set it to show all folders but it still only shows the Inbox and not all the other folders.

Upvote 0
I can not get K9 to work on my Droid for a Yahoo account. I get Username or password incorrect. Here are my settings: IMAP SERVER: imap.mail.yahoo.com SECURITY: None AUTHEN...TYPE: PLAIN PORT: 143 I do have WIFI turned off

Can anyone help me? Thanks

I use Yahoo (actually Prodigy), which I have set up as a POP3. I got the Droid at Best Buy. They had some problems setting it up at first (on the native e-mail). I had to change the Port to 995. I copied those settings when I installed K9, and it works fine.

Upvote 0
Questions on K9. I switched to K9 so I could delete all messages at once from trash, instead of individually with the native app. It seems to work, but I noticed, after deleting that is still has a number in parentheses on the deleted folder.
Such as: deleted (14). Is it remembering how many I deleted last time or are there 14 messages sitting out there somewhere?
Also what is the difference between delete and expunge?
Lastly, I accidently hit "delete all data". Have I effed something up?

Upvote 0
I have been a Blackberry user for a few years and apparently took the email client for granted because I recently switched to the MyTouch Slide and the email hardly seems functional…so I installed K9, but have a few questions.
1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Do I now just remove all the accounts I added to the default email client or do I un-install that app completely?
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]On my BB, I ALWAYS used the “Delete on Handheld Only” feature because I had emails I wanted to follow-up on later or save, but didn’t need on my BB. Does K9 have this option?
3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I have an Exchange account for work and was able to set it up on my BB no problem, but K9 (or the default client) could not add the account successfully. Any suggestions?

I apologize if any of these questions have been previously answered. I searched the forum, but could not find this information. Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0
1. You can remove the accounts or you can just turn off all syncing and polling from the stock Mail app.

2. For each account there is a setting to "leave the message on server" when deleting from the handheld.

3. I do not use exchange. There are a number of threads on setting up exchange that may be helpful to you.

Upvote 0
Love K-9 .. is there any way to get the Icon to show how many Emails there are liek the stock app that has a little number next to the Icon example (4) for 4 emails. I know when you open K-( it list next to the email accounts how many emails but I want to see how many new emails there are before I open K-9.

Thanks!.

Upvote 0
2. For each account there is a setting to "leave the message on server" when deleting from the handheld.

Thank you for the info. I see the setting to leave the message on the server, but is it possible to delete the message only on my handheld and leave a copy in my email (like was possible with my Blackberry)?

Also, K-9 keeps notifying me of new email, but is actually just marking messages that I previously read as new...any solutions to this?

Thank you

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This worked great on my Ymail account, thanks!

Try this?

Go to manual setup > IMAP account and change to these settings....

INCOMING
Imap server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
port - 143
security type - TLS (if available)

OUTGOING
SMTP Server- smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
port - 25
security type - TLS (if available)

I'm using no security type (none) on mine and it's working fairly fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones