K-9 Help Please

Last Updated: 2010-10-04 18:51:29
  1. snakle

snakle New Member

I just decided to switch from the standard gmail app and instead use K-9 for its identity feature.

My problem is with email deletion. I'd like to be able to delete an email into the trash without necessarily deleting it from the server. I've tried going into the "incoming server settings" and switching the trash folder name to [Gmail]/Trash but that hasn't fixed anything yet. Still whenever I delete it will remove it from the phone but it won't move it into the trash on the server.

Thanks for the help

Advertisement
  2. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

It's a per account setting. That is, if you have more than one email account you can choose what you want to do...either delete both on phone and server, delete on phone and leave on server, or mark as read on server.

Long press on the account name...it will bring up Account Options in a window. Select Account settings. In Account Settings find Syncing folders. Look for When I delete a message and select it. A window will pop up, and from there you can choose what you wish to do.
  3. snakle

snakle New Member

I've tried that. I just want to be able to move my emails from my inbox into my gmail trash folder. Doing it your way will completely delete the email.
  4. snakle

snakle New Member

5. TLDspectre

TLDspectre Well-Known Member

It sounds like you want the actions on the mail server to mimic those within your K9 mail folders, i.e. if you delete messages from your K9 account (gmail) inbox, then the messages in the server account's inbox should move to the server account's trash instead of deleting outright. If that's the case, you might try to MOVE the files to the trash folder instead of deleting them. I tried this for a couple of emails in my local inbox and then logged into my server account and found that they had been moved to the trash folder there as well. If you're using polling instead of push to check your mail then you may have to do a manual poll or wait for the next automatic poll for the files to show up in your mail server account's trash folder.

I don't think K9 supports the option to transfer the files on the server via deletion from your K9 account. The only choices available for deleting local messages are "mark server messages as read", "delete from server", or "do not delete from server" (i.e. leave them alone). Sounds like a feature request you might ask for, i.e. "Move server messages to trash."