• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

K-9 Mail: This is the email application you need!!

As you are probably aware, K9 does not have a PUSH function where, as soon as your server gets mail, it is pushed to your device with a resultant alert. So, you have to set a time interval for K9 to check your account(s).

It is a little confusing trying to find where to set this interval because (1) that are a TON of settings and (2) it is called "poll frequency" in the settings rather than something more intuitive like "check mail" or something like that.

You must set the "poll frequency" for EACH of your accounts...there is NO global setting (as far as I know of) for all accounts. Anyway, for EACH account you have do the following:

1. Go to the inbox of any folder view for the account you wish to set the frequency to check mail

2. Go to Menu -> More -> Settings -> Account Settings -> Fetching Mail (I told you there were a TON of settings to weed through!!)

3. Next choose "Folder poll frequency" and choose how often you want your mail for this account to be checked.

4. If you have other accounts, follow the above steps for your other account(s)

NOTE: It has been suggested that you NOT choose too frequent an interval (e.g., 1 minute or 5 minutes) because it will affect your battery life if it is VERY frequently checking/polling your mail. What I have done is set a reasonable interval of 2 hours for polling my accounts but at ANY TIME I can launch K9 and choose "Check Mail" to instantly poll ALL your email accounts and get your mail.

Hope this helps!

K-9 mail does support PUSH (IMAP Idle) so stop spreading falsehoods.

Upvote 0
K-9 mail does support PUSH (IMAP Idle) so stop spreading falsehoods.

Hey there...thought I'd fill you in on some information that you have no clue about before cautioning me about "spreading falsehoods"...which, by the way, I am not. You are also jumping into a thread that is over a year old and responding to my post from 2 months ago, having never been part of the conversation before...yet you are comfortable accusing people of spreading falsehoods.

First of all, NO KIDDING that K-9 Mail supports push. The "push" function is listed as the second feature above in the original post from back in June 2010. So, thanks for the unnecessary information.

What you have NO CLUE about is the context in which I was answering the question and the user that I quoted. The issue that was previously discussed with me (one that you were not privy) was POP email which, you might know, does not support the ability to push messages. So my answer to that specific user was kindly instructing him on how to as-closely-as-possible mimic a "push" option by setting up retrieval of messages on a POP account.

I'll fill you in on a couple other things so that you can be better educated before commenting....thought K-9 supports push that does NOT mean that the push feature will work with all IMAP accounts. Some IMAP emails DO NOT support "idle push"...it is but one technology and might be implemented and coded in a way that your server works with one IMAP-supported email client but not another. So, I could claim that you are "spreading falsehoods" by making a statement that suggests that ALL IMAP accounts will push using K-9 mail....but I won't do that...

So, before jumping a conversation 2 months old with which you have no background information, skip the accusatory comments and your assumptions and ask a question or two. You'll look better doing so. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Ever since my old G1, I've had a very strange issue with my pop3 account: I can send email and receive email... except the received mail was invisible on my phone. This still happens on my Defy with the stock email app, and it happens with K9 as well. Seven and MailDroid are the only two email apps I've used that work. MailDroid is a great app that should be checked out for those seeking an alternative email.

Upvote 0
i just installed k9 and i can't seems to open the attachment file (pdf, xls, jpg) direct from the email. All i found was to save the attachment to the sd card and open it from there. I have polaris office and document to go install in my device.

is that the way it has to be ? i'd prefer it to open direct from the email.

note : i got this message 'unable to find viewer for application/ms-tnef'

Sorry, it seems to be the file downloaded in k9 was all in .dat format. File name winmail.dat. Any idea why would that happen?

Upvote 0
Every few months I download and give K9 a shot, and every few months I uninstall it, quite dissatisfied with the app.

My current issues are its exceedingly complicated setup and structure. With my paid Hotmail account being my primary one for several important reasons, I'd like to use K9 just with that. However, unlike the stock app, K9 is ridiculously complicated. Having to navigate through one screen after another after another just to get to my in-box is annoying. And where exactly is the trash folder when I need to go back and check a deleted Email? I either have the choice of "none" or the trash box/in-box. WTF is that? I tried that, and my in-box would never populate. Instead, the trash folder did. Stupid. And what about my "sent" folder? Again, a stupid and confusing set-up. These are but a few of the problems I constantly encounter with K9. To date, I still am very dissatisfied with it.

At least with my EVO's stock Email app, this stuff is easily visible and simple to navigate.

Upvote 0
Every few months I download and give K9 a shot, and every few months I uninstall it, quite dissatisfied with the app.

My current issues are its exceedingly complicated setup and structure. With my paid Hotmail account being my primary one for several important reasons, I'd like to use K9 just with that. However, unlike the stock app, K9 is ridiculously complicated. Having to navigate through one screen after another after another just to get to my in-box is annoying. And where exactly is the trash folder when I need to go back and check a deleted Email? I either have the choice of "none" or the trash box/in-box. WTF is that? I tried that, and my in-box would never populate. Instead, the trash folder did. Stupid. And what about my "sent" folder? Again, a stupid and confusing set-up. These are but a few of the problems I constantly encounter with K9. To date, I still am very dissatisfied with it.

At least with my EVO's stock Email app, this stuff is easily visible and simple to navigate.

Hiya! I can DEFINITELY understand your frustration with the settings upon settings...pretty ridiculous!!...but let me see if I can help you with finding your inbox and your trash folder...

Here is a screenshot of what K9 look for me upon launching the app:

MOdhA.jpg

I have a list of the 5 email accounts that I check with K9 indicating the number of unread messages in each account. At the top if a "unified mailbox" that I have defined as a single inbox for ONLY the top two accounts that I check. The last 3 accounts, along with the top two, have a cumulative listing of ALL messages for ALL accounts in the "All messages" mailbox also seen toward the top.

Then, all I need to do to go to the inbox of any of these account is tap the account name....no navigation through menu upon menu to get to my inbox....just launch app and select account.

As far as finding the trash, once you are looking at the inbox of the account you wish to read, click "Menu" and then 'Folders" and the "Trash" folder should be right there for you.

So, if you are still having to navigate through pages of crap just to reach your desired inbox or you are having trouble finding your trash folder, let me know and I'll see if we can't navigate through some settings to get it more like you need....:)

Upvote 0
I'm running around today, so I may not get back to you on this till tomorrow or Monday. To keep things easier for me, I wanted to use K9 for my Hotmail account and the EVO's stock Email app for my other accounts (my 4 Comcast.net accounts). However, even just for my paid Hotmail account K9 was a pain in the ass, to put it mildly.

Upvote 0
I'm running around today, so I may not get back to you on this till tomorrow or Monday. To keep things easier for me, I wanted to use K9 for my Hotmail account and the EVO's stock Email app for my other accounts (my 4 Comcast.net accounts). However, even just for my paid Hotmail account K9 was a pain in the ass, to put it mildly.

No prob...probably best for me Monday or later as well with the Holiday. Try and get you up and running a bit easier with your Hotmail account then...

Upvote 0
I'm using K-9 and pretty happy with it. Two questions in case anyone has an answer.
1) When I send a message to several contacts using blind copy, I get a message to me also . One for every contact I send to. Sometimes this is a lot of messages. Is there a setting I can change so this doesn't happen?
2) Is there any way to send a message to multiple contacts without having to go to the contacts list every time for each contact? In other words, someplace where you can just check each contact while in your contacts/address book and they will all appear in the TO or BC send to block?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
An Email app that has a myriad of confusing, stupid folders; that makes it a chore just to find an Email; that makes it a brainteaser to delete a single Email or mass numbers of messages--that's an Email app that is, IMHO, a complete joke.

I know I'm not alone in this opinion, either. I asked a few friends of mine to give this a shot, and they all agreed that it is a very confusing, complicated Email app. Moreover, it still has issues when using it.

Upvote 0
An Email app that has a myriad of confusing, stupid folders; that makes it a chore just to find an Email; that makes it a brainteaser to delete a single Email or mass numbers of messages--that's an Email app that is, IMHO, a complete joke.

I know I'm not alone in this opinion, either. I asked a few friends of mine to give this a shot, and they all agreed that it is a very confusing, complicated Email app. Moreover, it still has issues when using it.

:thinking: it is a very straight forward email app on my Skyrocket. Very easy to use. I haven't found anything better in the marketplace.

Upvote 0
I have multiple accounts as well, but K9's myriad of confusing folder classes is, in not just my opinion, BTW, the most asinine thing ever seen in an Email app. It's ridiculous. And try easily deleting Emails en masse. It's a cumbersome process.

I've recommended this app to exactly 9 people now, from relatives to friends, including 2 friends who are in IT for a living. These two individuals are pretty darn intelligent when it comes to smart phones, apps, etc. All 9 of these people disliked K9. The two IT friends were really disappointed with it. Both individuals commented how complicated the app was. One told me, "It makes checking Email a laborious process that is totally unnecessary. I felt like I had to go to school to learn how to use it."

That's another issue with this app--there is nothing to help the user. An app that is this complicated should have SOME kind of "manual," if you will, something to show the user how to use it. There really isn't anything like this for K9. This makes it all the more difficult to use.

Obviously, to each his own, but when 9 frickin' people to whom I had recommended this app all dissed it, that's saying something.

Upvote 0
As an IT professional, I can say that I tried K-9 and didn't like it for my needs. But many people find it to be the best mobile email replacement available. Having the option to use it or not use it is the great thing about Android and the choices it gives us. While we continue to discuss the pros and cons of K-9 let's not forget to attack the issues and not each other.

Keep it friendly, folks!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones